Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I cut my own version of the Hobbit to test a theory...and I was right!

CaptainObvious
The Shire

Jul 30, 8:10am

Views: 1797
Shortcut
I cut my own version of the Hobbit to test a theory...and I was right! Can't Post

Very easy edit. Nothing major, but then I edit professionally. To put it simply, I hate the character of Azog with a passion and feel that he is ruining the film. I tend to enjoy the film and then suddenly Azog shows up and I have to endure his scenes with grit teeth, before I can go back to enjoying the movie. So...

I cut Azog out! I'm slightly alarmed a how easy it was to cut him out as well. It makes me think the filmmakers started concentrating on Azog's character in the later stages of development, when they had a lot of earlier chunks of the film in place. If only they had named Azog, "Bolg'" they would have saved themselves a lot of problems. Blame Philippa Boyens.

Now you might be thinking, "what about the burning tree, scene?" Sadly, it had to go as it was tainted by Bilbo's silly "I'm a hero now" moment and that awkward hug with Thorin. And like I said, "No Azog". That doesn't mean we can't see the character on a warg riding. But that storyline really overshadowed "An Unexpected Journey" in a negative way. Instead, as neatly as possible I cut from Bilbo appearing before the dwarves and giving his speech, to the whole Beorn subplot.

Realizing what a good idea this was, made me do a bit more snipping. I also slightly snipped the prologue. Bye, bye unnecessary Frodo appearance. See ya later, dwarf song about breaking Bilbo's dishes. Farewell, Radagast taking care of a sick bunny. Have a nice trip, meeting of the White Council.

To pad the film and ensure I get my proper Tolkien experience, I plundered DOS. I took the opening scene with Thorin and Gandalf in Bree and put it directly after the prologue, and right before Gandalf met Bilbo in The Shire. I inserted the EE scene of Bilbo in the market.

Let me say, that one minute scene of Bilbo in the market is perhaps the most important scene Peter Jackson cut out of the theatrical film. It's ironic that in a film telling us how the little things are often the most important, Mr. Jackson cut the scene showing us most how Bilbo loved the little things in life. In this scene, he is simply being a hobbit. We get to see him in his natural habitat, and thus understand that he's a fish out of water among these adventurous, hardy dwarves.
It's a nice parallel to the beginning of the Fellowship or the Ring, and it gives us a chance to actually get to know Bilbo. You can find this scene on the EE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kiUgJxK9o

The resulting edit simply looked and felt like the Hobbit, instead of a vastly inferior Lord of the Rings. By not being distracted by winks to Mr. Jackson's earlier trilogy, I was able to simply watch and enjoy this film on its own merits.

With that said, I am eagerly anticipating "The Battle of Five Armies" formerly titled "There And Back Again".

Subject User Time
I cut my own version of the Hobbit to test a theory...and I was right! CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 8:10am
    Huh? Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jul 30, 8:15am
    This is what I've said all along... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jul 30, 8:23am
    Interesting.. DaoinSidhe Send a private message to DaoinSidhe Jul 30, 8:39am
        Those scenes add urgency and drive to the plot. joec_34 Send a private message to joec_34 Jul 30, 1:27pm
    You were right? Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jul 30, 8:41am
    Example of how people are different and how that's just fine greenbalrog Send a private message to greenbalrog Jul 30, 8:42am
        Agreed. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jul 30, 8:47am
    Frankly, I'll take Peter Jackson's judgement over yours any day... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 30, 8:48am
        Well said Dormouse! emre43 Send a private message to emre43 Jul 30, 9:00am
        Dormouse CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 9:57am
            About the Nazgul theme - Hanzkaz Jul 30, 10:15am
            Fair enough, have your fun.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 30, 10:49am
                Agreed, 100 %. DaoinSidhe Send a private message to DaoinSidhe Jul 30, 10:50am
                dormouse CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 10:59am
                The work isn't exactly Jackson's either. Sildarion~Valenar Send a private message to Sildarion~Valenar Jul 30, 11:07am
                    Ehmm... NecromancerRising Send a private message to NecromancerRising Jul 30, 12:31pm
                    The book isn't Peter Jackson's, but the film adaptation most certainly is... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 30, 1:05pm
                        I'm sorry Sildarion~Valenar Send a private message to Sildarion~Valenar Jul 30, 2:26pm
                            No, it's OK... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 30, 2:40pm
        Frankly, I'll take my own judgement over Peter Jackson's any day...// bungobaggins Jul 30, 12:09pm
        I was lost at "See ya later, dwarf song about breaking Bilbo's dishes" Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jul 30, 3:26pm
            Completely agree Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jul 30, 3:38pm
        I agree. Since this guy is not Peter Jackson, he just wasted his time Nolane Send a private message to Nolane Jul 30, 5:06pm
            Guys, he's just making versions of the movies that make HIM happy - Hanzkaz Jul 30, 5:11pm
        I agree Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jul 30, 11:03pm
    I don't know - Hanzkaz Jul 30, 8:53am
        Still tinkering... CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 9:48am
            "That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates" . Hanzkaz Jul 30, 10:10am
            You know the "Blunt the knives" song is in the book? // painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Jul 30, 5:47pm
    "Out of Frying pan" and the Thorin -hug are ... Sildarion~Valenar Send a private message to Sildarion~Valenar Jul 30, 10:18am
        Thanks Sildarion~Valenar CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 10:36am
            Any chance you'd try 'whittling down' the Transformers movies? Hanzkaz Jul 30, 10:43am
                But these films are not Transformers, are they? Sildarion~Valenar Send a private message to Sildarion~Valenar Jul 30, 11:04am
                    I watch Transformers movies for the Transformers. Hanzkaz Jul 30, 11:28am
                        Respectfully Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jul 30, 11:50am
            'Music was lovely and NEW' Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jul 30, 11:05am
                Shagrat CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 11:47pm
                    A huge exaggeration Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jul 31, 8:01am
                        I have asked this before... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jul 31, 8:03am
            Hmm. arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jul 30, 12:39pm
        Funny how tastes differ DaoinSidhe Send a private message to DaoinSidhe Jul 30, 10:42am
            Hugs... CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 30, 10:46am
        I disagree with every word you said. tsmith675 Send a private message to tsmith675 Jul 30, 12:10pm
    Personally Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jul 30, 10:57am
    No one is to blame. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 30, 10:59am
    You made a version of the movies you like better but that doesn't make you right. Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 30, 12:23pm
    OK Dipling Send a private message to Dipling Jul 30, 12:57pm
    You may edit professionally... TnuaccayM Send a private message to TnuaccayM Jul 30, 1:37pm
        You know, I've only just now - Hanzkaz Jul 30, 2:02pm
        Blunt the knives arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jul 30, 5:53pm
            .. Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 2, 11:31pm
        TnuaccayM CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Jul 31, 5:58am
            IMHO Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jul 31, 6:52am
                Agreed Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Aug 1, 3:11pm
                    Thanks for sharing... CaptainObvious Send a private message to CaptainObvious Aug 2, 10:22pm
                        I can see your point Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Aug 3, 4:14pm
    -- > Let's all please keep personal comments out of this thread Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 30, 2:41pm
    you got rid of "blunt the knives"?!! FrogmortonJustice65 Send a private message to FrogmortonJustice65 Jul 30, 4:21pm
    I'm gonna edit the entire saga into one 4 hour movie, for my own enjoyment! sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Jul 30, 5:44pm
    If I cut my own version of all the films... Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Jul 30, 8:13pm
    I am just happy about the movies we got Rickster Send a private message to Rickster Jul 30, 11:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.