The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Would You Like Multiple Endings?

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (668 views)
Shortcut
Would You Like Multiple Endings? Can't Post

Would you like to see BOFA have multiple endings, like ROTKhad?

I think, if done well, it could be nice to have The Hobbit Trilogy mirror the way the Lord of the Rings Trilogy ended.

After all, I have seen many different ideas on what people would like BOFA's closing scenes to show:

We could start by having Dain be crowned King Under the Mountain.

Then would come the journey back to the Shire, with Bilbo and Gandalf stopping off at Beorn's and Rivendell, and reclaiming the troll treasure.

Next we could have be a scene showing Gandalf and Balin visiting Bilbo.

After that you could have a scene showing Balin and Ori and others approaching Moria, with the sound of the Balrog's growl ominously playing over it, foreshadowing the events to come.

And finally, we could have a young Frodo showing up at Bag End, or something similar.

So many ways to end the series - why not have them all?

Thoughts?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 10:11pm

Post #2 of 14 (458 views)
Shortcut
I don't really buy the idea that RotK had 'multiple endings'.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It ended once, with the credits after Sam returned home. Until then, it wasn't over.

And as for The Hobbit - well, more of the same, please. I would be over the moon if the Peter Jackson making The Hobbit is still the same Peter Jackson who felt it was important to end LotR the way the book ends. In other words, with Balin and Gandalf's visit.

I'm pretty sure Battle of the Five Armies will only have one end and that's where I'd like it to be - or at least, with Bilbo back in Hobbiton (having made his way home via Beorn's house and Rivendell!). If it ends at Erebor I'll say it ended before the end!

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (436 views)
Shortcut
No. One ending. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, Bilbo, Balin, Bag End.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 10:19pm

Post #4 of 14 (419 views)
Shortcut
I never really agreed that ROTK at "multiple" endings [In reply to] Can't Post

I know people use that phrase, but to me it was just finishing the story. I would be perfectly happy to see The Hobbit finish in the same way as the book. The tone was melancholy but contented - bad things happened, good things happened, and then life went on. If they could recreate that in the movie it would be very "Tolkien".

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 10:22pm

Post #5 of 14 (425 views)
Shortcut
It wrapped up multiple character arcs, as it should have... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get the whole "multiple endings" thing either. Hell, if I were making the movie I'd have put "The Scouring" in.

As for this movie, agree - Bilbo back in The Shire, being visited by his friends Gandalf and Balin.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 29 2014, 10:22pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 10:22pm

Post #6 of 14 (422 views)
Shortcut
Balin, Gandalf, Bilbo in Bag-end. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fade back to old Bilbo who changes some of what he has written, ripps out some pages, starts writing again - knock at the door. He leaves the room to open the door, complains about the new visitors.

Camera moves to the opened book, or out of the window (or to a candle) while we hear in the distance "... and what about very old friends?" The End.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 10:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (422 views)
Shortcut
No - falling action [In reply to] Can't Post

As it is being a Thorin Thrall, fan of the Heirs of Durin, etc. I'm in enough trouble, so I've already asked myself what I would feel like sitting through the last part of the film.Frown
I imagine it's something PJ & co. think about too.

And even if, say, Legolas were my absolute favorite, I find myself getting impatient, e.g. "falling action" in books and movies. For me I guess, a simple ending
of Bilbo getting home would be plenty - again, I'm not one of those who needed, or even wanted, all of the LOTR tie-ins and bridges. But that's just me.Cool

Noria
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 10:35pm

Post #8 of 14 (404 views)
Shortcut
I agree with the above who say RotK had one ending, not multiple. [In reply to] Can't Post

It ended when Frodo sailed and Sam said "Well, I'm back." The action may have been over earlier but the story wasn't.
Same with The Hobbit. It ends when Bilbo gets home to the auction. I'd be happily surprised if we see Rivendell again or Gandalf and Balin at Bag End. We didn't see Frodo's journey back to the Shire either. But you never know.

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 11:51pm

Post #9 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 3:41am

Post #10 of 14 (324 views)
Shortcut
Alternate endings? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well when I first saw this post that's what I thought. Being another "Thorin Thrall" I could go for an alternate ending, but that's what fanfics are for. Anyway, DEFINITELY an "Heirs of Durin" funeral scene, a short speech from Dain about promises and Bilbo saying "How would I carry it?" If he has the chests of silver & gold fine, but yes a brief scene of his picking up the Troll chest. Skip Rivendell & Beorn, though maybe a brief scene of the auction (and I do mean BRIEF!). Finally yes, Gandalf & Balin's visit.

On that subject, I really HATED the way Harry Potter ended - all that carnage & loss, then suddenly we jump forward 19 years and have this gag-me sappy "all is well" ending. No, I need something a little slower than that, so although I might not want to spend alot of time at Rivendell and/or the auction, I think we still need a few minutes of this "return to normalcy" before that final visit. Oh, and I want to see those sketches of the characters scroll with the ending credits, just like ROTK!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2014, 3:55am

Post #11 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really consider myself a Harry Potter "fan". I just saw the movies a couple times each and enjoyed them enough. But even as just a casual viewer who wasn't as invested as some of the die hard fans, I was really upset by how rushed the ending was. I hope PJ doesn't give us something that brief as a way of avoiding the "multiple endings" criticisms this time around.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 30 2014, 3:55am)

Joe20
Lorien

Jul 30 2014, 4:20am

Post #12 of 14 (313 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get the hate for the end of Return Of The King. Each of those scenes was necessary and it would have felt very unsatisfying if we didn't get them.

But for the Hobbit, I don't think it is necessary for full scenes. But rather a montage of scenes in combination with Howard Shore's score would be the be the way to go. Such as seeing Dain crowned, Balin venturing to Moria etc.

Think of the end of the Dark Knight Rises.

Though I think the auction scene will get left to the EE.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 10:02am

Post #13 of 14 (276 views)
Shortcut
The only thing I would like - excluding Gandalf, Balin and Bilbo at Bag-End [In reply to] Can't Post

is Bard being crowned, and his son and daughters titled "Prince" and "Princesses" of Dale. Smile

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 4:15pm

Post #14 of 14 (253 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Bilbo says his farewells at Erebor, I can see his journey home becoming mostly a montage, especially in the theatrical edition. The film should pause when he and Gandalf come in site of Hobbiton, giving Bilbo a chance to go into "Roads Go Ever Ever On," and we should see his reaction at discovering his home being auctioned off (with more detail included in the extended edition). I definitely want Gandalf and Balin's visit included, which should still feature Martin Freeman's Bilbo unless Jackson places the visit much later in time than it was supposed to be. I don't see a particular need to reprise Ian Holm as Bilbo, but that seems inevitable now.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.