Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Too soon to ask but will you avoid all of review before showing?

Wordofmask
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 17 (593 views)
Shortcut
Too soon to ask but will you avoid all of review before showing? Can't Post

It definitely ruined my experience of AUJ and DOS but the movies still enjoyable for me. For BOFA I will go to the cinema without any of review scores and informations in my head for the first time since I knew the internet. This may be the last ME movie in my life and I want to experience it as PJ and co want it to be.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 5:32pm

Post #2 of 17 (433 views)
Shortcut
I probably will [In reply to] Can't Post

I went into AUJ without having read anything and I came out completely let down. So I did the exact opposite for DOS: I read everything I could get my hands on so I knew how the movie was going to play out.

But now I'm so incredibly excited for BOFA (having loved DOS) that I'm thinking I'll try to avoid the major spoilers and reviews again. More than likely this is the end of our Middle-earth movies (certainly PJ's), and I intend to relish it.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 17 (410 views)
Shortcut
For LOTR I devoured everything I could find, totally spoiled myself.... [In reply to] Can't Post

For The Hobbit I've tried steer away from reviews before seeing it, only looking at overall scores on the odd sites I trust. I will probably do the same for BOFA. I'll see it on the first possible showing anyway so shouldn't be too hard.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 17 (397 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll look at new stills, posters, the Official Movie Guide and so on but I won't read reviews before I've seen it, and as the time draws closer I'll start avoiding anything that I think might be too much - same as I didn't read any of the stuff out of Comic Con until I'd seen the trailer.

I want to see the film with my own eyes first, not someone else's

FoFo64
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 6:08pm

Post #5 of 17 (374 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Jul 29 2014, 6:08pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 17 (375 views)
Shortcut
I always try and always fail... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sooner or later, i get weak and check out forums for the buzz.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 6:29pm

Post #7 of 17 (345 views)
Shortcut
^ This [In reply to] Can't Post

I did this the last two years. I didn't want to look at all but then I'd check rotten tomatoes and see the percentage, and then read just one review. But once you read one, you might as well read them all. And I'm sure that's going to happen to me again this year.

Our destiny lies above us.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 17 (341 views)
Shortcut
Avoiding these stuff is very hard thing to do these days [In reply to] Can't Post

The internet will let you know something about the movie or another. 2 weeks before showing is very crazy as hell but I will try it this time. Maybe I can allow myself to world premiere reaction but that's all.

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 7:19pm

Post #9 of 17 (316 views)
Shortcut
I don't read reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will check the Rotten Tomatoes scores pretty regularly. I like to know whether the feelings are more positive/negative when compared to the previous films.
So I have a small taste early on, just enough to make me think and speculate, but not enough to ruin the surprise.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 7:23pm

Post #10 of 17 (312 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll look at new stills, posters, the Official Movie Guide and so on but I won't read reviews before I've seen it, and as the time draws closer I'll start avoiding anything that I think might be too much - same as I didn't read any of the stuff out of Comic Con until I'd seen the trailer.

I want to see the film with my own eyes first, not someone else's

Especially the part about seeing the film with my own eyes first, not someone else's. Just like now no-one can take the first [magical] views of the trailer from me, no-one can take the wonder of seeing these movies for the first time either. I don't need someone else's brain clutter.

I did cheat re DOS a bit - not much. It wasn't easy staying away from the Hobbit board and other places. But in retrospect I am glad I did. And I am think it responsible of the TORn mods to re-iterate that advice the way they did re DOS, that was nice - e.g. suggesting if you don't want to be spoiled, be wary of certain boards.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 17 (288 views)
Shortcut
Dito. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though this year it may help that I will be on a conference from December 1 to 10.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:52pm

Post #12 of 17 (288 views)
Shortcut
Not only reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

I will most likely be avoiding TORN at least until it premieres here in the States. Since we are a week later and since this is the last film I don't want to know anything. If it were the prior two I wouldn't care and I'd read but on this one, I'm going dark as it's the last time in MIddle Earth on screen and I want to see it with fresh eyes.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 8:04pm

Post #13 of 17 (279 views)
Shortcut
I did last time. I will this time too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't discovered the wonders of Tolkien when AUJ first came out, so avoiding reviews wasn't an issue at that time. However, with DOS, I was picky about which spoilers I looked at, and when reviews started appearing I didn't read any of them and I stopped looking at the Hobbit board here on TORn until I saw it for myself.

I'll probably do the same this time around too, although I may stop looking at the Hobbit board just a little bit sooner this time. (Except the Thranduil Appreciation Threads which I will put in my internet favorites so I can continue looking at them without seeing the general movie spoilers in other threads.Wink) Specifically speaking, I don't care if I get spoiled on the parts of the movie that have the same general resolution as in the book, but stuff like the Dol Goldur storyline, I don't want to know what exactly happens because it's new and I want to be surprised by it, if I can. Still, I'll watch the trailers and any special events that may come around. I may not want to get overly spoiled, but I'm too Hobbit obsessed to go cold-turkey!Shocked

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 10:13pm

Post #14 of 17 (249 views)
Shortcut
I'll do my best to avoid any spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll watch the trailers but, like last year, I'll make a real effort to avoid spoilers before the movie opens. I want to see it fresh and be swept away into Middle Earth without anybody else's opinions in my brain.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 10:55pm

Post #15 of 17 (242 views)
Shortcut
Watch out for premiers, tho [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was the Fandango guy that really got on my nerves, as he would NOT stop going on and on about the barrel race. It's nice he
was so excited, but I really started not liking that guy, and then he shows up again and starts talking more.

Some of the INTERVIEWERS need to dial it down.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 10:56pm

Post #16 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read spoilers all of the time, and it does not ruin the experience for me. It actually helps to prepare me for certain things that I don't like (I think most of the other Thorin fans will know what I'm referring to). I didn't think I wanted to see the teaser trailer (due to certain scenes that I'm dreading), but my curiousity got the better of me (as it usually does, since waiting for it to get released on Blu-ray and DVD is torture, especially when everyone else is constantly talking about it). Like with AUJ and DoS, I bought the Official Movie Guide, The Visual Companion (not sure when I bought the first Chronicles book, but I did look through it in the store) long before I saw the actual film. Since there's a good chance I won't be seeing BoFA until the following Sunday (going to a movie on opening day just doesn't work for me, especially if it's released in the middle of the week, and we don't have midnight showings in my neck of the woods. The closest is a 10:00 p.m. showing the night before, which would be a Tuesday, and would also be cheap night, so I'm really going to have to think about this). I often read what other people thought of the movie, especially if it will be a while until I get the chance to see it myself (I just don't reply to the thread until I do).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 5:09am

Post #17 of 17 (227 views)
Shortcut
I will, for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

For AUJ and DOS I kept away from TORn (even in lurkedom) for about a week and a half to two weeks before the release date. Hard to do, but worth it in the end! Like dormouse, I want to see it with my own eyes, and no one else's words to color my perspective.

I *will* take a peek at Rotten Tomatoes, just to see what the numbers are for the film. But I won't open them or read the reviews.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.