The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The REAL question now...

Timdalf
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:48pm

Post #1 of 11 (917 views)
Shortcut
The REAL question now... Can't Post

An unavoidable question comes to mind, if indeed what we see in this trailer and this poster of Bilbo is going to be the emotional core of Bo5A...

I would like to ask PJ and Philippa and any cast members in both sets of films: now that we have seen this "backstory" so developed and intensified, is there anything in LotR that you would like to change now?

For example, after seeing this Bilbo go through such a crisis, can we really accept the old fuddyduddy Bilbo of the opening of Fellowship? Or perhaps Cate Blanchett, now that she has seen her character take such an active role in things, would like to change her readings of her lines? Or perhaps Orlando Bloom?

In other words, given the ease of digital technology to cut out and replace a figure, will perhaps some pick ups will be necessary to finally polish LotR?

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 4:55pm

Post #2 of 11 (535 views)
Shortcut
Interesting questions [In reply to] Can't Post

The only answer I have is that this prequel trilogy will succeed in enriching aspects contained within the one that follows.

That answer is simply my humble opinion, of course.

The question of technological and digital trickery will obviously receive no answer from me. Though, I hope somebody else will come along with a fascinating response.

Oy vey, I can't keep up with these threads.

So much to talk about all of a sudden.Crazy

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 5:03pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't see the need to change Bilbo – the version we see in LotR is considerably order than the one in The Hobbit, and Bilbo could well have aged to what was shown in LotR. I also wouldn't see the need to change Galadriel, since she displays very much the same character in both films.

As for ahem, well the less said the better, but I certainly don't see the need to 'polish' the LotR version (beyond removing absurd CGI moments).

In Reply To
For example, after seeing this Bilbo go through such a crisis, can we really accept the old fuddyduddy Bilbo of the opening of Fellowship? Or perhaps Cate Blanchett, now that she has seen her character take such an active role in things, would like to change her readings of her lines? Or perhaps Orlando Bloom?

In other words, given the ease of digital technology to cut out and replace a figure, will perhaps some pick ups will be necessary to finally polish LotR?

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 5:49pm

Post #4 of 11 (418 views)
Shortcut
I sincerely hope (and believe) PJ will not go all 'George Lucas' on us. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 5:52pm

Post #5 of 11 (436 views)
Shortcut
On the contrary [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that what The Hobbit trilogy will do beautifully is richen what is already in the LOTR trilogy and add many more layers to the scenes and dialogue and characters we've been seeing and hearing for over a decade.

Bilbo has been home in his comfortable hobbit hole for 60 years (essentially) when LOTR begins so it is only natural that he would have gone on with life but in the moments when he is 'tired' and weary we will know what he has been through and the tragedy he has seen, and how that must have effected him. When the ring gets to him in LOTR we will know the dread of it that has been growing on him. We will see the pain and tiredness in his eyes that now will take on a whole new meaning. There is a lot going on under the surface in LOTR that we will have new appreciation for.
When we see Galadriel sad about Gandalf falling in Moria her expression and tone of voice will have a whole new meaning.
The entire quest that Frodo embarks upon will have new meaning because of what Bilbo has been through, and the tragedy that Middle-earth and it's inhabitants have already seen in The Hobbit trilogy.

Only upon finally seeing the six films in sequential order will we be able to say whether or not scenes in LOTR need to be 'fixed' or polished but I doubt that it will be the case and I highly doubt that any changes would ever be made even if they were 'necessary.'

DaoinSidhe
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 6:22pm

Post #6 of 11 (447 views)
Shortcut
There are only two things I would change.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and both of them are in Fellowship:

First: Replace the scene where Bilbo finds the Ring with the new version we saw in AUJ

Second: Replace Gollum with the proper Serkis!Gollum used in TT, ROTK and AUJ.

That's it. Nothing else should be touched, IMHO.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 6:55pm

Post #7 of 11 (360 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 6:58pm

Post #8 of 11 (353 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The only answer I have is that this prequel trilogy will succeed in enriching aspects contained within the one that follows.

Given some of Phillipa's comments at the big Hobbit SDCC panel I think the filmmakers want this to be the case as well. As we have heard before, so much of what goes on in the Hobbit will put a new perspective on the events of LOTR, such as how we react to the scene in Moria when we find out about the dwarves who died there. We now have an emotional attachment and backstory for at least two of them. (Balin and Ori, right?) Now, at the SDCC panel, Phillipa was saying that some of the events in BotFA, probably the Dol Goldur storyline will shed new light on Galadriel's reaction in FOTR when she heard the news that Gandalf had fallen.

It sounds to me like things in LOTR are already the way that they want it.

The question of technological and digital trickery will obviously receive no answer from me. Though, I hope somebody else will come along with a fascinating response.

I don't have much comment on that either. Personally, I'm not fond of the PJ/Lucas comparisons. I don't really know either of them of course, but based on my personal observations alone, they seem like such different people IMHO and LOTR and SW are such different stories. Again, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like they're pretty happy with LOTR as it is and are simply making sure the things in The Hobbit line up with what is already in LOTR.

Oy vey, I can't keep up with these threads.

So much to talk about all of a sudden.Crazy

Such is the nature of The Hobbit fandom. Out there in the vastness of the world it flourishes and spreads. An impatience that grows in the silent months. A sleepless excitement as loud as the oncoming wall of discussion. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time, all threads come forth.Wink

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 9:09pm

Post #9 of 11 (275 views)
Shortcut
Agree, bit I Aldo thought about "upgrading" the obviously bad CGI... [In reply to] Can't Post

But now I' m not so sure... CGI of TH looks fame.
So I totally agree with you.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 10:50pm

Post #10 of 11 (225 views)
Shortcut
I hope that PJ changes nothing about LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

It is what it is – a piece of art – and it shouldn’t be messed with IMO.

I’m happy with it as it is anyway. Ian Holm was great as old Bilbo and a little lack of continuity is nothing to me.

Is it in PJ’s power to make changes anyway? I thought that the studio - New Line or Warner Brothers or whoever - actually owns the films, not PJ and that they had physical possession of them. There would have to be sufficient money to be made for studio to agree.

Also, would any of the artists really want to go back over old ground? In a way some of them did with The Hobbit but it was new old ground, so to speak.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 12:59am

Post #11 of 11 (201 views)
Shortcut
I would change lots about TTT and ROTK but I doubt this will happen [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not worth going into what I would change here... what I will say is that The Hobbit is perfectly setting up FOTR, at the very least.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.