Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New tiny pic of Bard and some Laketowners from the upcoming Empire Magazine

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 4:43pm

Post #1 of 9 (1128 views)
Shortcut
New tiny pic of Bard and some Laketowners from the upcoming Empire Magazine Can't Post

What could they be looking at?

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 29 2014, 4:43pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 4:47pm

Post #2 of 9 (726 views)
Shortcut
My goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

Somebody is always looking up at something in this upcoming instalment.

I'm done speculating.

I'll leave it to the others.Wink

Nice pic though.

Thanks, Carne.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 4:48pm)

Guert
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 9 (691 views)
Shortcut
A massive cloud of bats !!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 5:51pm

Post #4 of 9 (692 views)
Shortcut
Dain and his ram-riding dwarves coming over the hill of course! // [In reply to] Can't Post

vexx801
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 6:00pm

Post #5 of 9 (677 views)
Shortcut
Winter is Coming [In reply to] Can't Post

On a side-note, I love the caption - "Winter is Coming." Game of Thrones fans will love the reference, I'm sure.

However! As I was re-reading the chapter "A Thief in the Night" last evening, Bilbo says, "I see your point of view. At the same time winter is coming on fast. Beforre long you will be having snow and what not, and supplies will be difficult - even for elves I imagine. Also there will be other difficulties. You ave not heard of Dain and the dwarves of the Iron Hills?" (middle of the chapter, pg.247 in my Houghton Mifflin Harcourt copy).

So even in The Hobbit we read, "winter is coming"! Wink Tolkien said it before Martin; albeit in a different context. Just a side-note, thought I'd share.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 6:18pm

Post #6 of 9 (615 views)
Shortcut
I suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on all the varying shots of people looking up at something with an overwhelmed look in their face, that the Orc attack will come from above and around the Lonely Mountain! They'll stretch from all about the widespread arms of the mountain. In the novel Tolkien kinda describes the army descending from the mountain and over its craggy cliff faces.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Jul 29 2014, 6:18pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 8:03pm

Post #7 of 9 (526 views)
Shortcut
I took it more literally... [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly they're looking at an oncoming army of White Walkers. Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2014, 12:19am

Post #8 of 9 (464 views)
Shortcut
I knew that GRR Martin got that line out of The Hobbit the moment I saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always felt it was a very poignant statement in the book said by Bilbo. So that caption is not really a Game of Thrones reference. Whether the editor intended it or not, it's an original JRR Tolkien reference Cool

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 10:05am

Post #9 of 9 (413 views)
Shortcut
Orcs? The Lonely Mountain? List is endless!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.