Shortcut
I rate it 10, but they won't let me! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 8:15pm

Post #3 of 21 (1536 views)
Shortcut
What keeps me from going higher than 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sold on the war goats just yet, and some of the CGI looks kind of rough (though it's probably not 100% completed, I realize that)

Favourite part of the trailer was the "Will you follow me...one last time?" and zoning out on Bilbo. That ending certainly made me feel emotional and reminded me that this will be the last Tolkien movie made in our lifetime. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 21 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Me too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 28 2014, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 21 (1495 views)
Shortcut
I agree to an extent, but I can look past that... [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI isn't what makes the trailer great, even though the majority of the effects look phenomenal. There weren't any shots I thought looked bad, whereas there were quite a few I thought that about for the DoS teaser.

The Smaug shot looked a little off. The first part of the chariot scene looked just a tad CGI, but still looked good. Looked better than the completed version of Radagast's bunny sled. I thought the shot of the wargs rushing head on to the chariot looked amazing. The cinematography looked absolutely beautiful. It honestly took my breath away.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 8:50pm

Post #6 of 21 (1497 views)
Shortcut
I too would have given it a 3.5 [In reply to] Can't Post

but rounded down to a 3. Some of the shots were very beautiful, and i loved anything having to do with Gandalf or Bilbo or Smaug, but there were just too damn many all cgi shots (the chariot chase, the dwarven army riding rams, etc.), and too many reminders of things i just do not like about these Hobbit films, such as Azog and Kili's too prominent role and weird looking Legolas.

And i'm kind of ambivalent about using one of Return of the King's best moments-- Pippin singing that song-- to score easy emotional points for these Hobbit films that just do not carry that kind of weight. It is an excellent song and performance though, and hopefully BotFA will at least come close to that greatness.

All in all i thought it was a pretty good trailer (or teaser or whatever), held back by some issues that seem to plague all the Hobbit films.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 9:01pm

Post #7 of 21 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"And i'm kind of ambivalent about using one of Return of the King's best moments-- Pippin singing that song-- to score easy emotional points for these Hobbit films that just do not carry that kind of weight."

Well, if they used the song in the actual movie I'd agree with you, but IMO a trailer is just a trailer.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 9:02pm

Post #8 of 21 (1506 views)
Shortcut
A solid 4 out of 5. [In reply to] Can't Post

It had drama, action, emotion, detail and colour. It looses a point for its brevity and celerity.

The poster, on the other hand, is a 5 out of 5.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 9:32pm

Post #9 of 21 (1497 views)
Shortcut
I can't help thinking when I see that poster... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo looking down on his watch and going "What time is it?" Cool

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 21 (1462 views)
Shortcut
A favourable 4. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not as emotional imho as the song indicates - but the best teaser we got for all Hobbit movies.... and better than most LotRs.

Poster is 5/5 though.

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 10:41pm

Post #11 of 21 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It had drama, action, emotion, detail and colour. It looses a point for its brevity and celerity.

The poster, on the other hand, is a 5 out of 5.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 12:01am

Post #12 of 21 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 12:58am

Post #13 of 21 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Cannot be unseen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Damn you! Tongue

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 2:21am

Post #14 of 21 (1458 views)
Shortcut
When Bullroarer's big hand is on the moon rune... // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:44am

Post #15 of 21 (1430 views)
Shortcut
A high 4. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 1:20pm

Post #16 of 21 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it is just the teaser, [In reply to] Can't Post

so it's not a huge deal obviously, but it is what we're here talking about.

It is a great song, and creates a very specific mood for the teaser, and signals just where they're trying to go with this final film, emotionally and dramatically (whether the film can actually reach those heights is another matter). It just seems to me to be a bit cloying is all (it's use here, not the song itself).

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jul 29 2014, 1:23pm)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:55pm

Post #17 of 21 (1391 views)
Shortcut
yes!// [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 10:49pm

Post #18 of 21 (1382 views)
Shortcut
4 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was good but I have hopes for the longer trailer.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 30 2014, 12:36am

Post #19 of 21 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Five for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it and didn`t see anything that put me off.
I thought Pippin`s song was well chosen, very evocative and better than the generic music that usually accompanies these things. Coincidentally, I actually heard that bit of the RotK soundtrack on a classical radio station yesterday before the trailer was released.
I got a kick out of the battle rams and the goat drawn cart. I enjoy some whimsy and adventure mixed in with the emotion, of which there was plenty.
Don`t care about the CGI, either it`s quality or it`s presence.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 10:22am

Post #20 of 21 (1372 views)
Shortcut
5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this trailer very epic, beautiful yet sorrowful. I think this was Pippin's song that did it. I think this next film looks more promising than DOS - and AUJ for that matter, as it has both the action and character development I believe.

DOS should have been combined with AUJ somehow, because it acted merely as a "bridge" with [as Arwen's Daughter once said] 'action' as the only "character development" if it could be called such a thing. They should have cut down the action and focused more on the character development - particularly with the introduced characters like Thradnuil, Tauriel, Bard...

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 8:39pm

Post #21 of 21 (1339 views)
Shortcut
I voted 4, but [In reply to] Can't Post

really it should be 4.5, not quite a 5 but really, really moving. Pippin's song was PERFECT, Thorin dominated, and I have no problem with the ice chariot or war goats. The look on Kili's face when Thorin said "I will have WAR!" reminds me just how tragic this is going to be - not sure I can deal with it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.