Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone get frustrated reading youtube comments?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 8:58am

Post #1 of 35 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone get frustrated reading youtube comments? Can't Post

Seriously, some people are just plain stupid! Looking at the comments for the new trailer, you get all these so called "die hard tolkien fans" arguing about such petty things, and most the things arent even right! So much ridiculous arguments, it makes me happy that I found these forums!

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:15am

Post #2 of 35 (907 views)
Shortcut
That's why I always try to avoid them [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people should stop complaining too much about the movies, they are just that, movies. Sometimes I think that some fans fear that the changes in the movies will 'hurt' the original story or its richness, when I am sure it doesn't at all. The books have been there for a long time and they will survive these movies even, so, you do not like the movies? do not watch them, and if you want to criticize them, do it from a reasonable point of view, not from a blinded one where there is no room for change. Movies are perfect? no, do we have fun with them? I think that yes, right?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 9:29am

Post #3 of 35 (914 views)
Shortcut
One thing the world will never be short of.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is people finding things to argue over.

If it frustrates you, don't read 'em - because one thing you'll never do is change 'em. Come and play here instead (where no one ever argues.... Where's the whistling smiley when you need him!)

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:31am

Post #4 of 35 (849 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

I have found people writing loooong infuriated posts to complain about something they didn't even watched or read...

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 9:48am

Post #5 of 35 (870 views)
Shortcut
Light and Shadow [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes one can find interesting people there, as well as on other boards such as boxoffice.com or IMDB.

However, there are legions of trolls on those boards and sites. And also some people who are no trolls but have a very cynical outlook on movie-making.

There is a tendency right now to follow some mainstreams on these sites (which obviously prefers the Marvel/DC universes) and once the verdict has been made by a small but very vocal minority it is hard to geth through with different opinions.

The verdict of these people regarding the Hobbit has not been favourable (not all those complaints are without merit, but the verdict is noticably harsher than those of the general audience and even the critics).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:59am

Post #6 of 35 (813 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

However, there are legions of trolls on those boards and sites. And also some people who are no trolls but have a very cynical outlook on movie-making.

Like in real life, the few that shout louder are the ones the get the attention, even if they are a minority.

The trailer wasn't perfect, IMO, but it had 'something' that told me that this movie is going to be epic, or at least will have very epic moments.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:05am

Post #7 of 35 (841 views)
Shortcut
IMDb [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit movies' message boards at IMDb are some times terrifying and most times depressing.

I spent many wasted hours battling it out in the trenches of those boards.

A permanent shadow has been cast upon them.

I'm so glad I found this place.Smile

It is far less dim around here.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:32am

Post #8 of 35 (800 views)
Shortcut
I just looked through a few threads for five minutes there... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. and it was really depressing reading. Thank god for TORn.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:43am

Post #9 of 35 (821 views)
Shortcut
Slightly annoyed [In reply to] Can't Post

I got through the stage of frustration awhile ago.

I'd always end up fruitlessly questioning their mentality and my own. And then at the end of it all, I would have to remind myself that it's only an opinion.

Now, I'm less bothered by derogatory viewpoints aimed at this franchise and the players involved. I guess I've gotten used to the cynicism and pessimism.

When I come across crude statements or snide remarks, I just shrug it off and carry on. Some times it amuses me and I can actually take something from it.

I don't mind criticism, but some people can be so consistently thorough and unabashedly rude that it becomes a downright annoyance.

Yeah, I wish all of the whiners and complainers would just go away and focus on the things that bring them joy (though one could say that displaying negativity or expressing disdain for something on a regular basis is what they enjoy doing).

I don't know.

It would be nice if they could just make an effort to gain some understanding or exercise a little restraint.

These films are special to me, that's all.Evil

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 10:48am

Post #10 of 35 (764 views)
Shortcut
That's the main problem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't mind criticism, but some people can be so consistently thorough and unabashedly rude that it becomes a downright annoyance.

People thinks that, with the right to criticize something, you can say anything and nothing happens, when there is a huge difference between criticize something with good arguments and a direct attack because you 'simply didn't like it'.

Annatar598
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 11:44am

Post #11 of 35 (716 views)
Shortcut
Well it's a very small, but vocal, minority [In reply to] Can't Post

That feels obligated to bring these movies down.

And quite unfortunately, every movie has its share of "jokers."

The one I'm become sick of is "the movies are a CGI fest" or "way too long man." I swear I've been reading the EXACT same complaint since 2012 for all 3 movies! All the constructive criticism gets pillowed beneath all the mass of "fluff." I guess what I really despise about these "haters" is that they also give those giving constructive criticism a bad name.

But I've noticed that BOTFA is getting better reception than both AUJ and DOS. Sites like IGN and Facebook where DOS was pummelled, people are posting some great things about the Hobbit trilogy. Finally some open-minded stuff that gets tons of likes!

But I expect these haters to exist after BOTFA is over and skulk back to their caves until a new Peter Jackson movie or Star Wars 7 (the daddy of all hated franchises, even if the seventh is good). It's just how the world works :)

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 29 2014, 1:10pm)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:16pm

Post #12 of 35 (665 views)
Shortcut
I just don't bother reading them tbh [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to years ago, and still see odd comments on various places online that i feel compelled to reply to, but it's usually just best to make your own comments and move on, lol. Otherwise u get drawn into things that can quickly descend into arguments and just too stressful/annoying. Really not worth it!

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:18pm

Post #13 of 35 (666 views)
Shortcut
Scanning through my fb last night it seems any comments I saw regarding the trailer overwhelmingly positive! [In reply to] Can't Post

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 12:42pm

Post #14 of 35 (662 views)
Shortcut
"It's just how the world works" [In reply to] Can't Post

Too true . . . Such a sad and shameful truth.

The one I'm become sick of is "the movies are a CGI shi*fest* or "way too long man." I swear I've been reading the EXACT same complaints since 2012 for all 3 movies!

I can relate to this^.Laugh This^ is what I forgot to put in my post. All I can do is shake my head. "Really? You're not done? Will you ever leave us fans in blissful peace?" I mean, just give it a chance then. Meet the filmmakers halfway.

I guess what I really despise about these "haters" is that they also give those giving constructive criticism a bad name

This^ is something that had never occurred to me. And it's unfortunate because constructive criticism should be encouraged and practiced.

In Reply To
But I expect these haters to exist after BOTFA is over and skulk back to their caves until a new Peter Jackson movie or Star Wars 7 (the daddy of all hated franchises, even if the seventh is good).

The likelihood of mass negativity from the public is one of the reasons why I'm so eagerly anticipating the release of the next instalment in the Star Wars franchise.

It will be interesting (as well as tiring) to see just how poorly some of these folks react to the upcoming Sc-fi fantasy flick.

Try showing some class, people.

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 12:43pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 12:45pm

Post #15 of 35 (637 views)
Shortcut
Constructive Criticism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That All the constructive criticism gets pillowed beneath all the mass of "fluff." I guess what I really despise about these "haters" is that they also give those giving constructive criticism a bad name.

Unfortunately those with constructive criticism often are caught between haters and over-enthusiastic fanboys. Getting "hate" from both sides.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 1:04pm

Post #16 of 35 (623 views)
Shortcut
It also depends on the type of video being commented on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, something as big as this Hobbit teaser is going to attract all the different types of internet commenters. But some of the less viewed videos, like some of the music artists i come across, will have very smart or funny or informative comments, and they're a lot of fun to read and engage in. And let's not forget, some well-done snark can be quite enjoyable.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:54pm

Post #17 of 35 (593 views)
Shortcut
Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The likelihood of mass negativity from the public is one of the reasons why I'm so eagerly anticipating the release of the next instalment in the Star Wars franchise.

Eh?!!! Crazy

A) You've just spent however many posts condemning people for reacting negatively on forums and now confess to looking forward to it where certain films are concerned?

B) It ain't gonna happen. This is JJ Abrams we're talking about, the guy who single-handedly resuscitated the "Star Trek" franchise, replanting it firmly in the mainstream where it was always intended to be and who, as far as I can tell, is yet to direct a duff movie. All the leaked images, official videos and visitor testimonies attest to the fact that he's doing it right, eschewing the all-pervasive green screen of Episodes I to III and instead reverting to location shooting, animatronics etc to replicate the feel of the original trilogy. If there is "mass negativity from the public" when Episode VII is released, I'll be absolutely astonished.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 1:57pm

Post #18 of 35 (588 views)
Shortcut
They were rumoured to be filming a few mins away from our house... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though there were screens everywhere, so we couldn't see anything...

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 35 (576 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though there were screens everywhere, so we couldn't see anything...

Not green ones, though, right?

Wink

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:12pm

Post #20 of 35 (562 views)
Shortcut
Big white screens... [In reply to] Can't Post

So no-one could see in!

But they wouldn't need a green screen, the forest they were filming in is amazing!

(This post was edited by Bofur01 on Jul 29 2014, 2:18pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 3:49pm

Post #21 of 35 (537 views)
Shortcut
Re: Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A) You've just spent however many posts condemning people for reacting negatively on forums and now confess to looking forward to it where certain films are concerned?

I know, I know.Sly

It's just how the world works though! Once you come to accept that which you cannot change, you can at least try to see the humour in it and get a decent amount of amusement from it. But that amusement only lasts so long. And I'm serious when I say that the negativity has an expiry date. If it's still there after six months and you seek out positive places to express your dissenting viewpoints then you've reverted back to a state of infancy.

Also, like I said in one of my other posts, I'm used to it now. The harsh effect of constant cynicism and pessimism has lessened. It isn't as heavy as it once was. I can take it all (in moderation) with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to live in a world where hardcore cynics and pessimists don't exist. I'm a committed idealist.Wink

In addition, I do not believe that the new SW films will captivate me like The Hobbit trilogy has. I'm not bothered by the disgusted attitude of those who despise the SW prequels (and I don't think those films deserve all the bashing they receive). I just think it's time for the dark ominous shadow to be cast on another big-time Hollywood franchise. It's only fair that these unhappy folks share the love, if they feel the need, right?Tongue

In Reply To
B) It ain't gonna happen. This is JJ Abrams we're talking about, the guy who single-handedly resuscitated the "Star Trek" franchise, replanting it firmly in the mainstream where it was always intended to be and who, as far as I can tell, is yet to direct a duff movie. All the leaked images, official videos and visitor testimonies attest to the fact that he's doing it right, eschewing the all-pervasive green screen of Episodes I to III and instead reverting to location shooting, animatronics etc to replicate the feel of the original trilogy. If there is "mass negativity from the public" when Episode VII is released, I'll be absolutely astonished.

Oh, I've stumbled onto articles/blogs and sauntered into message boards situated in the dark corners of the net where the opinion of J.J. Abrams Star Trek films was less than favourable. Abrams has his share of skeptics and naysayers. And I've seen crude comments about certain aspects of the production that is akin to the remarks that TH receives. Granted, J.J.'s upcoming features will likely fare much better than PJ's latest set of movies. However, the point is that People will always make an annoying effort to pick something apart. Humans will always incessantly whine and nitpick. Unfortunately, they're will always be something to complain about.

It won't necessarily be wholehearted enjoyment, but I will sit back with a mockable outlook and react accordingly to certain comments if/when the time comes.
Evil

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 4:04pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 3:56pm

Post #22 of 35 (515 views)
Shortcut
Yes so mostly avoid them [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, some people are just plain stupid!

LOL - yes. I rarely read the comments, as depending they are often pretty gutter and/or scare me in that these people are out there, somewhere, free to mingle with society WinkCool

KW
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:04pm

Post #23 of 35 (513 views)
Shortcut
Cynicism [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think there are many who are honestly disappointed by these movies or outright consider them to be bad films. Maybe these folks are idealists of a sort too and are upset by how far the films fall short of that ideal. They may express this dislike in emotional and not terribly constructive ways but I don't see that as any different than the frequently inane and redundant outbursts of enthusiasm from those who like these movies. The frequent attempt to assign unflattering motivations for their reaction seems to me to be nothing more than a cynical way of discrediting a disagreeable opinion rather than a critique of how that opinion is expressed.

(This post was edited by KW on Jul 29 2014, 4:10pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 4:07pm

Post #24 of 35 (511 views)
Shortcut
. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL - yes. I rarely read the comments, as depending they are often pretty gutter and/or scare me in that these people are out there, somewhere, free to mingle with society WinkCool

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 4:12pm

Post #25 of 35 (503 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I seem to see many comments in which JJA's involvement is exactly the reason why people are a bit hesitant when it comes to SW7. "Into Darkness" does not seem to have gone down well with many "Trekkies" ;) Thouch is a Trekkie even supposed to like Star Wars? I get confused by those franchise rules... .

However, I agree that it will be very, very exciting what he can do to that franchise (which I never warmed to entirely, besides the brilliant Episode V). Episode VII is surely going to be more successful than AUJ, the hype surrounding it is much bigger than anything The Hobbit ever received, so it will be the one (and only?) chance to really get fans of the franchise behind that monster again :)

Not so sure abour greenscreen though... to me all the sets that could be seen so far looked like the kind of stuff, PJ for example, would probably also have as proper sets and build things.

However, I guess for SW I-III it was even more greenscreen? I really cannot recall them too well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.