The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
LOTR EE Blu ray set

HobbitFan
The Shire

Jul 28 2014, 3:58pm

Post #1 of 8 (1180 views)
Shortcut
LOTR EE Blu ray set Can't Post

Just FYI....amazons deal of the day if the lotr ee blu ray for about $40.

For anyone who already has this... Do these also have the theatrical edition like the DVDs or not? I am thinking about buying this.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 4:06pm

Post #2 of 8 (797 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, this is tempting. Very tempting. In fact...I might make the purchase. Need to think it over for a bit.

It appears that the theatrical edition is not included (answered in the second review toward the bottom).

Thanks for pointing this out!

peterLF
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (697 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

The extended editions are seperate from the theatrical ones... They take up so much space that they have to put each film on two discs - so if the theatrical versions were to be included there would need to be at least another 3 discs in the set... Only the films themselves are on blu ray discs though - all the extra stuff (9 discs total) are on DVD.

Don't know why you would watch the theatrical edition though. Maybe if you were in a hurry?

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:23am

Post #4 of 8 (623 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

The EEs (TTT and ROTK, mostly) are too bloated and uneven in their editing and the overall narrative flow. Yes, more from the book is included, but to me, that doesn't make them better. The TEs, to me, are much better films; therefore, I tend to watch them. I only watch the EEs if I'm willing to put aside the wonderful pace I see in the TEs.

I know many here prefer the EEs, so I won't pass any judgement on that choice. For me, if I wanted more of the book (quantitatively), I'd simply pick it up and start reading. Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jul 29 2014, 2:25am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 6:51am

Post #5 of 8 (599 views)
Shortcut
pacing [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who stopped watching the theatrical cuts as soon as the extended ones came out, I still understand what you mean about the pacing. But at this point I see the Lord of the Rings as one 11 and a half hour long film, and I've only watched it in one sitting on a few special occasions. So the pacing isn't an issue for me because I don't watch the movies like I would watch a "normal" movie. I guess I watch them with a similar mindset as if I were watching a miniseries. I can sit down and watch as much as I want whenever I want, and I want there to be as much material (within reason) as possible. And a more drawn out pace just fits the story better in my opinion, whether it's the book or the movie.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:00pm

Post #6 of 8 (579 views)
Shortcut
Pacing, again. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually find TTT EE to have better pacing than the TE. To me, it seems to move along at a much more brisk pace, and feels like it goes by much more quickly, even though it is significantly longer. I especially like the Gollum stuff added at the beginning-- Emyn Muil felt like such a slog in the theater, but in the EE i find that the extra scenes actually lighten things up a bit, making it a bit more fun.

With FotR, the EE feels a bit more stretched out (in the best sense), so that the journey feels more like a journey, and is not quite as rushed as the TE. I love all the 'on the road' type stuff in the LotR trilogy, and that's what the FotR EE additions seemed to really bring out.

RotK is the only EE i have issues with. What i like most about it is that the time between the battles at Pellenor and the Black Gate no longer feel like they go from the one to the other on the same day. And most of the other added scenes either flesh out Tolkien's lore, give the action a cool extra beat or two, add a little more depth or humor to the characters, or give some characters closure that didn't really get it in the TE (especially Saruman and Eowyn/Eomer). Some of the Paths of the Dead additions i did like (the three emerging to see the Corsairs), some i did not (the skulls). But what i had a real problem with, and really are the only scenes i actively do not like of all the added EE material, is the Witch King breaking Gandalf's staff (could not happen), PJ's cameo on the Corsair (much too jokey and over the top-- the low point of the entire trilogy), and Aragorn decapitating the Mouth of Sauron (just seems out of character). So my problem with the RotK EE isn't so much the pacing-- it is long, but long isn't necessarily bad, and in this case feels just about right-- but the sub-par quality of a few of the scenes.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jul 29 2014, 2:11pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:20pm

Post #7 of 8 (579 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and the whole [In reply to] Can't Post

'Arwen is dying because the Aragorn story could use some urgency, or Arwen needs something to do, or whatever' thing is pretty lame, but they don't make too big a deal out of that one, so i can give it a pass.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 4:59pm

Post #8 of 8 (572 views)
Shortcut
Having just watched the EE versions - which is all I ever buy now.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that scene with Elrond saying Arwen's life is tied to the Evenstar and she is dying made no sense to me. Yes, she is "dying" as all mortals are for having made her choice of a mortal life. Not dying as in gravely ill.

I have not bought the blu ray and probably won't as I enjoy my current DVD EEs just fine. I have not heard a compelling reason to upgrade.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 4 2014, 4:59pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.