AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:03am

Post #1 of 21 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Movie Trailer Reviews Can't Post

Here is one by MovieClips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd9A1IsTl14

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 29 2014, 2:19am)

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:17am

Post #2 of 21 (778 views)
Shortcut
Overall good analysis [In reply to] Can't Post

Although at times it's a bit uniformed.

Pippin seducing Denethor? Lol ok then.....

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:55am

Post #3 of 21 (730 views)
Shortcut
"Juvenile Sarcasm".. doesn't over with Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

DUMPED out (20 seconds in..)
when they
were Talking about Galadreil?

"Shameless Self-Important"
KIDz these days?

13 THUMBs DOWN..

Bomby is old enough to be their
Grandfather?

Crazy

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:58am

Post #4 of 21 (776 views)
Shortcut
Another review [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oj4LOWOJck

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 29 2014, 2:19am)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 2:52am

Post #5 of 21 (738 views)
Shortcut
IGN's trailer review [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Q3IT_18mQ

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 7:39am

Post #6 of 21 (533 views)
Shortcut
Reaction videos [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to type in "reaction Hobbit" and "added today" on Youtube.

Some of them are really great... the teaser totally grew on me seeing others react to it.

I think it was the first time I watched a new trailer/teaser for this trilogy alone... maybe this was why the emotion somehow did not work for me the first time as it did for some.

Now I actually did get teary...

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 7:50am

Post #7 of 21 (549 views)
Shortcut
My own opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, the trailer is typical PJ Middle-Earth trailer. The one that you watch first without any emotional response, but after a couple of minutes you see images flashing before your inner eye and the music sounds, and it grows on you and you want to rewatch it over and over again.

The images before my inner eye are not the battle rams or the ice chariot. But the moody slow pictures of Bilbo sitting in the dark, of Galadriel and Gandalf, the slow moments. Underlined with Pippin's song from ROTK (okay, that is cheating by PJ!) they create a strong image, leaving me wishing for more.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:19am

Post #8 of 21 (489 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though after also thinking that the song was cheating yesterday... it also grew on me.

Especially since this song is written by Bilbo, quoting the "home left behind, the world ahead" that was said in a rather hopeful break-up moment in AUJ. So there is more depth to it than I realized at first viewing when this was simply Pippin's Song to me.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 8:21am

Post #9 of 21 (488 views)
Shortcut
The Song [In reply to] Can't Post

should have been altered.
Search on YT for "home is behind piano".
That's a cool alternative.

Maybe I cut a new one with that in the Background...

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:23am

Post #10 of 21 (465 views)
Shortcut
Do it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

We need new stuff until October :D

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 8:32am

Post #11 of 21 (485 views)
Shortcut
I don't think using that particular song is cheating [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to me it's an inspiration, partly because it IS Bilbo's song - his words written to an ancient tune - and the words are so appropriate to his journey.

Partly too because it already has an established place in the previous trilogy, with past associations in terms of the audience, who already know the previous films, and future associations in terms of the story and the struggle to come. It takes us straight into the heart of film Middle Earth and evokes an instant emotional response.

Since the first 'Misty Mountains' trailer the later trailer music has seemed unconnected and has attracted a lot of criticism. But Pippin's song belongs to Middle Earth already and speaks a language we recognise. I don't think they could have found anything better for this trailer.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:42am

Post #12 of 21 (460 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... some also call it cheating because they realized what this song is supposed to do to you and which emotion it should kindle - but did not necessarily have those emotions.

It was how I felt yesterday during my first viewing.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 9:25am

Post #13 of 21 (430 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm just glad it grew on you... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 11:25am

Post #14 of 21 (380 views)
Shortcut
Alternative Music [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We need new stuff until October :D

The Piano piece didn't sound good.
So here the song, sung by another artist. More dwarfish...

https://vimeo.com/102009315

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 11:42am

Post #15 of 21 (374 views)
Shortcut
I do not like that rendition too much.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but there is certainly some experimenting possible with that teaser :)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 2:30pm

Post #16 of 21 (345 views)
Shortcut
Jeremy Jahns trailer review [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnAA-P2Gok

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 3:57pm

Post #17 of 21 (311 views)
Shortcut
The Song [In reply to] Can't Post

That was just the cherry on top of this fantastic trailer. I think it did a nice job of really starting the final connection between this trilogy and The Lord of the Rings. It was a huge emotional hit for me sitting in the dark watching this.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 5:44pm

Post #18 of 21 (291 views)
Shortcut
I can believe it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's emotional enough watching on a small screen in daylight. In the dark, on a large one, it must have been really something.

I think Bilbo's voice-over strikes the perfect opening note as well.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 6:29pm

Post #19 of 21 (282 views)
Shortcut
Emotions [In reply to] Can't Post

It was. I'm not super great at putting my thoughts into the proper wording and when emotions are striking like they were it is harder, IMO. Such powerful stuff and realizing this is the end theatrically was enough to make me shed a tear or two.

Very much so. It was two solid emotional punches going with the great imagery. Really a fantastic time.

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 8:59pm

Post #20 of 21 (268 views)
Shortcut
I love Jeremy Jahns [In reply to] Can't Post

His reviews are so entertaining!

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 4:51am

Post #21 of 21 (238 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, completely. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.