Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Something draws near. I can feel it." Get your 60th Anniversary FOTR Party footers here.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 12:22am

Post #1 of 30 (4936 views)
Shortcut
"Something draws near. I can feel it." Get your 60th Anniversary FOTR Party footers here. Can't Post

We spent hours waiting anxiously for a new Hobbit teaser but now another great event looms ahead.

The Fellowship of the Ring was first published on July 29, 1954 which makes this year its 60th anniversary and we're having a party.

But before the celebration starts, we all need party hats or rather - party feet (party foots!).

I have prepared 60 different party footers, each one showcasing a FOTR book cover from across time and the world.

I'm going to tell you how to get a footer but I'm not going to reveal -- or let you peruse ahead of time -- which footer has which cover/edition. You won't know, until you install it, which book cover you're getting.

The url path for footer #1 is as follows:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/01.jpg

Each footer will have that same url path except for swapping out the 01 with any number up to and including 60. Some examples would be:

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/02.jpg
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/03.jpg
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/10.jpg
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/60.jpg

NOTE: for the first nine footers you must put a zero in front of the number. 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09.

For instructions on how to use this url to put an image into your footer, see this page:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ters/footer_post.htm

You don't have to worry about size (I've taken care of that) and don't worry about it being on a 'site you own'. I'm giving you permission to use images on my site.

Jump down to "The Code" and use the url of the image you desire for the rest of the instructions.

If you have questions or you need more instructions on how to make this work as a footer, please post them in feedback. If you are making a new thread in Feedback to ask a question about the 60th Anniversary FOTR Party footers, then put that in the header: Question about Party Footers. If there is a thread existing with a question already, feel free to post your question there. I'll try to help but there are lots of other people who can help as well.

If you have questions or comments about the actual content of the footers - that can go here. :-)

Once you have your party feet on, share images* or stories of your favorite copy or cover design of FOTR.
*remember image size limitations - see my image posting guide for more info

PLEASE NOTE: Altaira has asked that we keep images in footers to no more than two at a time. If your footer already contains images and text, please take a moment to make sure it is laid out in a way that takes up as little vertical space as possible. If you have two images already, you may need to temporarily remove one while you're carrying the 60th Anniversary FOTR footer. I sometimes copy off the code in my standard footer and put it in a Notepad file so I can put some code in for a special celebration.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:55am

Post #2 of 30 (4717 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, this is like Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's under that bright and shiny url wrapping paper?

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/44.jpg

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 1:55am

Post #3 of 30 (4706 views)
Shortcut
you need more than the url... follow the link in my post to get the rest of the code // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:59am

Post #4 of 30 (4710 views)
Shortcut
The excitement is killing me! [In reply to] Can't Post

What did I get?! What did I get?!
EDIT: Oooh, look what I got! Sly

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Jul 29 2014, 2:00am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 2:05am

Post #5 of 30 (4706 views)
Shortcut
*squeeee* These are GREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like playing hide 'n seek! :D BRILLIANT MAGPIE!! Thank you so much!!

Now I'm off to play with another one ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 2:06am

Post #6 of 30 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Awesome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lookit Mine!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2014, 2:19am

Post #7 of 30 (4706 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my! Look at that! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely and most appropriate decoration, Magpie, thank you! Smile

(Edited to add: I recognize that drawing of the Fellowship - it's on the bottom of the Pauline Baynes poster I have! Awesome!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jul 29 2014, 2:20am)

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:34am

Post #8 of 30 (4704 views)
Shortcut
Did we do it correctly, precious?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Testing this out.

Yay! Love this one. Thanks, Magpie! Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jul 29 2014, 2:35am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 6:09am

Post #9 of 30 (4697 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once again Magpie, these are great. Thank you.

Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2014, 7:06am

Post #10 of 30 (4697 views)
Shortcut
Lovely, lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I shall have to swap these out frequently so as to enjoy as many of them as possible. I'll start with #42.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 8:05am

Post #11 of 30 (4684 views)
Shortcut
Did it work? *drum roll* [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo Hoo! Love it! Thank you, Magpie! Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 29 2014, 8:09am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 8:15am

Post #12 of 30 (4676 views)
Shortcut
These are excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much!

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 10:05am

Post #13 of 30 (4669 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:53pm

Post #14 of 30 (4657 views)
Shortcut
Farty Pooters! How can I resist? [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60, and I turn 50 (and old enough for Going On An Adventure: who's that fellow in the grey hat scratching at my door?)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:20pm

Post #15 of 30 (4655 views)
Shortcut
The covers of both Estonian editions are lovely as well [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 5:16pm

Post #16 of 30 (4649 views)
Shortcut
I could use some new footwear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie...!

In honor of the occasion, I will also try changing my avatar too -- oh my. Hope I don't break the boards...

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 9:06pm

Post #17 of 30 (4644 views)
Shortcut
I like that blue one [In reply to] Can't Post

I struggled with this task. When I did the same for the Hobbit anniversary, I found quite a few sites that had done tremendous research into the different editions of the Hobbit.

But no one had done the same for LOTR to the same extent. And there were very few that covered non-English translations.

I tried a number of search parameters both in Google and Google Images but I wasn't get much.

Finally, I hit upon a strategy. I pulled up the Wikipedia page for "Fellowship of the Ring." In the left navigation frame, one can switch to different language databases for wikipedia. Clicking on one of those pulls up the wikipedia page for "Fellowship of the Ring" in that language... and then I'd copy off the translated name for FOTR and do a Google Image search for that.

Either I didn't get to an Estonian wikipedia page or I encountered some other difficulty in finding it.

I did consider coming here and asking those of you who might have read LOTR in another language for help finding covers... but, in the end, I just plowed on with the strategy that seemed to be working. :-)

Thanks for posting those covers.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 9:10pm

Post #18 of 30 (4640 views)
Shortcut
lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to tell you, that is such an old man joke. I say that as an old woman married to an old man who tells those sorts of jokes... and who had a father who told the same sort of joke in his elder-ish age.

I thought that might be offensive to you so I checked to see what your profile told me. haha... old man joke! Or at least old enough to begin to appreciate the humor of old man jokes.

... said with great affection for old men (and old women!). :-)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 9:19pm

Post #19 of 30 (4640 views)
Shortcut
Glad to know I'm acting my age at last! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 9:23pm

Post #20 of 30 (4637 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

nt

“The opinions that are held with passion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the passion is the measure of the holders lack of rational conviction. Opinions in politics and religion are almost always held passionately.”
-Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 9:29pm

Post #21 of 30 (4631 views)
Shortcut
I have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

we've started acting like old people in public so much, we've decided we should have pseudonym old people names we can use for each other.

He's Herman... I'm Gertie.

Embrace it, that's what I say.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 9:31pm

Post #22 of 30 (4637 views)
Shortcut
That's the one I own [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries, you did a great job. 60 footers for the 60th anniversary - most appropriate! But it also means there wouldn't have been room for all the covers anyway. Tongue I'm glad I was able to contribute, even if only a little.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 1:15am

Post #23 of 30 (4626 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie! // [In reply to] Can't Post

after a slight adjustment

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 30 2014, 1:20am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 1:22am

Post #24 of 30 (4639 views)
Shortcut
I know what number Meneldor picked for it was in my mind too... [In reply to] Can't Post

But what do we have here? ooh that is nice.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 30 2014, 1:23am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 4:57pm

Post #25 of 30 (4616 views)
Shortcut
These are so great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been using a new one with each post! Now I find myself flagrantly posting just to see what the picture is ;)

WELL DONE!!! This was a lot of work, Magpie! You've made it into a unique party favour! THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.