Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The trailer is here!
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 11:08pm

Post #201 of 271 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, really, WOW.

I've been taking a bit of a hiatus, trying to avoid getting too angsty about this movie -- but this trailer just blew THAT strategy right out of the water. *THIS* is the epic movie we've all been wanting, a proper link to LOTR, isn't it? Sure looks like it to me.

The use of Pippin's -- well, as Silverlode points out, Bilbo's -- song just smashed me over the head like the proverbial ton o' bricks. There's lots of intense scenes in ROTK, and LOTR in general, but that song interspersed with Faramir's suicide mission is the most heart-wrenching of all, for me. I love the connection being made: PJ's telling us it really IS going to be that heart-wrenching. Epic, indeed!

So I'm watching the trailer, feeling the emotional intensity, drooling over Thorin and Thranduil, nearly crying at Pippin's song, and the look on Kili's face as he watches Thorin, and Bilbo brooding in silence near what could be a deathbed or a tomb (?)...and then...wait, aren't those supposed to be boars? THEY HAVE HORNS. Nope, goats. Big, furry goats. I had come to terms with Dwarves riding boars, since boars can actually be quite dangerous animals -- but mountain goats? I couldn't suppress a giggle. I'm really glad I've got nearly five months to come to terms with Dwarves riding goats, because it's going to take that long. Boars charge because they want to kill you for no good reason; goats -- even wild mountain goats -- just don't do that. If you could manage to sit on a boar, it might just run for a while, charging something just because. If you sat on a mountain goat? I'd bet after a minute it just stops and eats, unperturbed.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 11:23pm

Post #202 of 271 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Teaser fever burns us, precious! Thranduil! Wants!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh. My.Word! And this is what they call a teasee. A teaser!

Everything's gerrrreat! And just HeartHeartHeart Thranduil and his EPIC MAJESTY and badassery with his beautiful swords. But where's his personal guard? Anyway, gif now!

*trudges off to be a gibberung mess at work on a day when I need my full faculty but will be furtively rewatching teaser until the evening*

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 11:33pm

Post #203 of 271 (2058 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's looking fantastic based on this – perhaps better balanced in terms of the characters than DoS was? Thranduil, Bard, Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf and Galadriel look really impressive. Thranduil is so graceful and wonderful to look at in that armour, and I love what they've made of Bard's character (Luke Evans is a terrific actor).

I also think the visuals (including the costumes) are lovely.

One thing I'm not sure about is the rickety cart – I don't know who or what is in it, and what its function is.Wink

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 11:36pm

Post #204 of 271 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Big, furry goats...I couldn't suppress a giggle. I'm really glad I've got nearly five months to come to terms with Dwarves riding goats...

Indeed. And I suspect that's why the shots are in there: to inure us to the slightly ridiculous notion. The same was done with Radagast's bunny-sled, too, if I remember correctly. "Get it in the first trailer so that everyone can get their 'What the heck?!' moment out of the way five months prior to release."

As for pretty much everything else in the trailer, again, like you, I thought it looked rather good. The aftermath of Laketown's destruction, for example, looks like it will be quite a moving section of the film.

Roll on December!

Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:43pm

Post #205 of 271 (2025 views)
Shortcut
*grins* my kind of Ringer [In reply to] Can't Post

Astute, intelligent, great writer, and LOYAL ("Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart - I can ask no more than that"Wink).

And WE Thralls think it's terrific that our enthusiasm and intelligence and various and sundry weaponry are cheered on. I accept the unofficial appointment as chieftain of Oakenshield fandom *grins*
tho I think I might have to polish my Orcrist replica to deal with all the other competitorsEvilShocked. But we dwarves are like that.Cool

Times like these, we all need someone who has our back!Smile

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 11:46pm

Post #206 of 271 (2026 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the Iron Hill dwarves will show up as a surprise ala Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

With the orcs fighting and then suddenly some horns blow and they appear over the ridge? I'd rather not see them reuse that scenario, but it seems plausible.

Actually, that shot of the rams is my favorite from this trailer Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:47pm

Post #207 of 271 (2012 views)
Shortcut
Hey Lurker - you are missing the party! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Grins* Thranduil w. 2 blades + a dose of epic badass Thorin + beloved dwarves IN GOLD ARMOUR = for me, nothing gets done today anyway.Evil Except trailer replays HeartHeartHeart.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:50pm

Post #208 of 271 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Just completely agreeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Just that one line has absolutely floored me. And Bilbo's voice at the beginning was perfect - the voice of someone who has seen great tragedy and been changed forever. What great actors.

There are no words, really...HeartHeartHeart

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 11:51pm

Post #209 of 271 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Thank You!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't care if he IS being the bad guy, he's so "Majestic" in that crown!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:58pm

Post #210 of 271 (1982 views)
Shortcut
It's not just her [In reply to] Can't Post

There's the 50,000+ on Thorin's FB page, and that's not accounting for the RA Army - oh, I like those odds *grins*Evil

glor
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:03am

Post #211 of 271 (1983 views)
Shortcut
I think I might explode [In reply to] Can't Post

48hours before the trailer went live, I was in the Old Vic in London watching Mr Armitage in The Crucible, then that fantastic trailer came.

"Will you follow me one last time" chilling, spoken with power and dread, no cheesy, shouty, chewing the scenery nonsense that is the hallmark of every cheap 300/LOTR imitator that has come our way in recent years.

The Elves parting for Bard, was that an honour guard for the slayer of Smaug?, beautiful scene.

Oh, I just remembered, the new series of Dr Who starts this Saturday, someone book me a Geek Ambulance for Sunday morning...Crazy

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 12:07am

Post #212 of 271 (2026 views)
Shortcut
I can't breathe... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize until after it was over that I've been holding my breath. Oh cripes... I don't want this to end. It's going to be so hard... but just seeing this with Pippin's song has wasted me completely...and I can't stop crying.

wow --this really is it... isn't it...

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 29 2014, 12:08am)

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 12:11am

Post #213 of 271 (1966 views)
Shortcut
irreverent of me but... [In reply to] Can't Post

riding goats (or pigs or sheep) immediately makes me think of "Bored of the Rings" - black riders on pigs, Merino sheep for the fellowship...fierce war bleats...
Sorry.
I am very curious as to how the whole Dain bit will work out though - have we seen any images of him?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 12:11am

Post #214 of 271 (2007 views)
Shortcut
*Whinging GAH* i know! [In reply to] Can't Post

So many feels! Tonight! Just hope work doesn't do a draggery drudge! Croas fingers and paws fer us precious!

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:18am

Post #215 of 271 (1985 views)
Shortcut
You and me both... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I was thinking last night, Thorin's always charged in by himself re the pine tree scene - just seems to me like he's never really asked anyone to follow him, not like that. And I would.

There is one who I could follow. There is one I could call king.

because I've always said that I would follow Thorin anywhere, even into battle if necessary. Perhaps I could change the dreaded moment from happening (wishful thinking, but it makes me feel better)? And if you could make me an avatar of that image, I would gladly use it (not that I dislike my present one, but I usually change it when the next installment approaches. Same character, but different scene).

And can Thorin get any more epic (probably), since he seems to get more epic with each installment. Good casting, and I always wondered what he would look like with a crown (even if it is in fact Thror's from the prologue to AUJ).Wink

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 12:18am

Post #216 of 271 (1959 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you follow me one last time" chilling, spoken with power and dread, no cheesy, shouty, chewing the scenery nonsense that is the hallmark of every cheap 300/LOTR imitator that has come our way in recent years.

Tho w. a rip-your-heart-out voice like Mr. Armitage's, if he wants to chew scenery, I'm SO there. On the floor fainting, but still there.WinkTongue

Er, re Bard, it's suspected these are elves provided by Thranduil for Bard to command - but not known, really. Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 12:25am

Post #217 of 271 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Thorin looks amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

The King Beneath the Mountain has come into his own - no matter what, I'm glad Thorin got home, is defending his home. And he will always be King Under the Mountain as far as I am concerned - everything else is just posing *grins*WinkEvil.

PS. If I can get to it, I'll make an avatar - but as some folks have pointed out I haven't done one for me yet Frown. For some reason I never get to it - and there are some like Black Fox, Pipe Dream and others I am just plain envious of! But if I can, I will!Smile

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:31am

Post #218 of 271 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Your post [In reply to] Can't Post

made me tear up :'( it's beginning to set in that this is the end of our journey in Middle Earth.

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Jul 29 2014, 12:31am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:39am

Post #219 of 271 (1988 views)
Shortcut
I won't lie [In reply to] Can't Post

I teared up a bit watching it. It's reallyl going to be great. It's our last foray into Middle Earth and everything looks great here. Loved Bilbo's voiceover for the teaser, loved his song also as sung by Pippin. This just may be what Hollywood needs. It's been a down summer for them. They could use a shot in the arm.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 12:45am

Post #220 of 271 (1955 views)
Shortcut
This trailer is smart to [In reply to] Can't Post

focus on the actual 'battle' of The Battle Of The Five Armies. I remember us 'battling' it out here on the boards regarding the importance of Smaug and his demise, and from a marketing standpoint having imagery of the burning of laketown be a minor footnote in the trailer is a good way to reset audience expectations as to what is at stake and where things are going...

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Kim
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 12:46am

Post #221 of 271 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Geek Ambulance [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect they're all in use at the moment, helping fans recover from SDCC and now this!

Don't forget to post your review of The Crucible over in Off Topic! Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2014, 12:47am

Post #222 of 271 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah, amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't get in earlier today, and just saw the trailer. Really excellent. The Hobbit is my favorite book, and I've loved everything about the movies so far. This looks to be really, really good. Can't wait!

Kim
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:41am

Post #223 of 271 (1906 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

after careful study all day, I think this is going to be one of those iconic images we'll be seeing a lot of. EvilHeart Coincidently, my AUJ page a day calendar today is the shot of Thorin gazing into the distance as Balin tells the story of the Battle of Azanulbizar.

There is one who I could follow. There is one I could call king.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:47am

Post #224 of 271 (1900 views)
Shortcut
So, it is before the walls of Erebor, the doom of our time will be decided. [In reply to] Can't Post

The later part of the Hobbit is as much about the Return of the King (Under the Mountain) as it is about Bilbo... heck given Bilbo losing consciousness at a pivotal moment it may be more about a king returning than a hobbit. So far so good.

... yet this looks to be about t'nother king returning... the King of Dale. Fair enough, it's sort of implied in the original tale.

Speaking of implying, when I watched the trailer a few hours ago I was incensed by how Pippin's moment is cheapened by allusion to this tale. My initial thought was, "you're going to have to try harder than that to get the old guard excited about this one."

But now that I've had time to think about it, an anti-war movie may be just what the world needs right now. Perhaps there's more to this one than dazzles the eye?

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:05am

Post #225 of 271 (1871 views)
Shortcut
*comes in late* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Like gramma, a few tears right now. Seemed like PJ was speaking at the end, asking to go on one more journey with him, too. Perfect.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.