Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
LOTR & Gentle Giant... we wantsss 'em, preciousss, we does!...

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2007, 5:53am

Post #1 of 8 (3837 views)
Shortcut
LOTR & Gentle Giant... we wantsss 'em, preciousss, we does!... Can't Post

*whimper*

Not fair! Why can't Sideshow do this great a job?!

I'm not sure if this is part of the collection... just thought he looked cool...

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 6:26am

Post #2 of 8 (3279 views)
Shortcut
The answer to your question [In reply to] Can't Post

GG's figures are very cool.

Somebody can correct me if they want but I believe the following to be fact.

In the first age of Sideshow it was actually Sideshow/Weta. Weta was the sculptors, Sideshow was the reproduction and distribution.

So, much of the Sideshow catalog is sculpted by Weta Workshops, the people who made the film. Part of the coolness was that Sideshow worked with the company that made the movies. Signed, limited, numbered, collectible pieces by the artists at Weta.

Sideshow and Weta parted ways and many thought LOTR for Sideshow was at an end.

Since then, Sideshow's own sculptors and artists have been doing the work on the figures. To me, the faces (which is what I think you are refering to) are much better than previously but they aren't perfect, nor will they be. Sideshow's LOTR Premium Format line is a complete home run, but then figures run a bit . . . uh . . . high for many.

Gentle Giant uses computer scanning equipment to get its stuff while SSC's artists sculpt. Sideshow is artist driven while GG is scan driven. So this may not matter to you because you want more exact licences but in my opinion, Sideshow is closer to art while GG is closer to model kits.

Another difference is that GG reproduces in resins and plastics while SSC reproduces (depending on the line) in polystone or mixed media (metal, cloth, hair & plastics too on some figures) or in on fully articulated figures rather than casts. (No articulated LOTR figures just in general.)

So yes, GG's likenesses are more exact but I personally prefer SSC but I openly admit a bias, so please pass the salt.

I do know GG's website sure looks and functions a whole lot like SSC's as does its evolving business model of internet sales and distribution. Sly

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 4:56pm

Post #3 of 8 (3262 views)
Shortcut
Correctamondo [In reply to] Can't Post

No correction needed.

Plus all that GG is producing are tiny busts (with treasure drawers...um, yeah) and the animated line. Sideshow has the hand scuplted PF (though it's been over a year since the second announcement), hand sculpted 12-inch line and hand sculpted diorama line. If you want almost exact likeness then the GG busts are a perfect addition to a collection. I personally like my sideshow pieces. They may not always be exact likeness but the amount of detail put into them is amazing. Plus having met a few of the sculptures of many of the Sideshow lines I'm even more appreciative of the pieces I own.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2007, 7:11pm

Post #4 of 8 (3268 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it has to do with artist vs. technology... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a group of LOTR fans who are doing their own version of LOTR characters and their renditions are sometimes ten times better than the Sideshow artists, and they are using the same materials. Also, it's not just the sculpting (which I find Sideshow is good at, don't get me wrong), but it's the paint jobs that are lacking. A lot of people have re-painted their Sideshow sculptures because they were not satisfied with them (I am little miffed that the dress part of my Galadriel statue is a light green instead of white )... and don't get me started on the paint job on the eyes of most of the humanoid figures... freaky!

I think that the problem with these sculpts are the mass-production... too little time to concentrate on make a quality product (which is why I'm always disappointed that the final product is way beneath the prototype in terms of quality) and the fact that the finished product is created in some foreign country where the original artists are not there to make sure that it lives up to their original.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 9:23pm

Post #5 of 8 (3253 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

the same could be said of the GG final products. They are massed produced as well and I've heard just as many complaints about their final products as I've heard about Sideshows. Right now there's a whole heated debate about the changed slave Leia from their SW line (GG that is).

No, the Sideshow pieces don't always turn out like the prototype but they still turn out pretty good considering they are mass produced at over 1,000 at a time. So you've hit the nail on the head as to why final products don't turn out as nice at times. Though I have to say that I have 3 of the 4 LOTR 12-inch figures (Boromir showed up last night) and love them all. The amount of detail in costuming alone with these is amazing. The paint jobs aren't always the best but I'm not picky (not that I'm saying you are diedye) about my finished products. As long as they don't have huge errors I'm a happy LOTR fan.

Sorry to hear about your Galadriel. Did you ever try to take it back to the vendor you bought it from for an exchange? I know you don't order direct from Sideshow so I know that makes exchanges that much harder at times. If you do order directly from Sideshow they are more than happy to exchange the item on their ticket. I recently had to return my Frodo PF to them (due to a painting mistake) and it's been a pretty easy process thus far (though it will take a few weeks to get a replacement...but I'm ok with that). Sideshow also has a 30 day guarantee on their products so if you find you aren't happy with it once you recieve it you can return it for a refund or exchange of the same item.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2007, 5:25am

Post #6 of 8 (3258 views)
Shortcut
I already had to return the first one I received... [In reply to] Can't Post

... cause the hand with the pitcher came right off and there was only one other available, which is the one I ended up with. I liked it overall... just the greenish tint is not very appealing.

Hmmm...

I wonder if it will fade if I leave it in the sun... *snicker*... with my luck it would crack and it would all be for naught anyway.

YOU GOT BOROMIR?!

*whimper whimper*

My local representative hasn't contacted me yet and I'm dying to see what it looks like. Does yours look like the prototype posted on the net? Is it better or worse?

Drooling Inquiring minds want to know!

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 5:17pm

Post #7 of 8 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, he doesn't look exactly like the proto-type (which is always the case I find). He kind of has a little more of a mad face but I still think the figure looks really nice. The costume and accessories are fantastic!!!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2007, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 8 (3697 views)
Shortcut
No sexy scoul?!... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rats!

*pouts*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.