Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The trailer is here!
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 9:25am

Post #251 of 271 (2033 views)
Shortcut
Just think ... [In reply to] Can't Post

10 days ago, on 18th July 2014, The Hobbit: There and Back Again was originally supposed to be released.

Even if this trailer marks the beginning of the end, at least we're not quite at the end like we might have been!

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 9:48am

Post #252 of 271 (2013 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward watching this film even if I'm a little bit sad as it's the last PJ's film about Middle Earth...

The film looks awesome Laugh

"Ils ne savaient pas que c'était impossible, alors ils l'ont fait." Mark Twain

(This post was edited by Lothiriel on Jul 29 2014, 9:49am)

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 11:39am

Post #253 of 271 (1950 views)
Shortcut
And I applaud them for postponing it. [In reply to] Can't Post

A July release of a Tolkien movie wouldn't sit right with me, after the formula they've created with December. I love December! It's the time of year when I am in the mood to re-read the books or rewatch the films. July on the other hand gives me no such feelings.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 12:51pm

Post #254 of 271 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Well there you have it [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel's dream luxury kitchen equipment most coveted fulfilled: The cacao-grinder mocha maker, replete with choice of Dwarven evergreen top ten hits to add to the cacophony, right next to the elegant all-purpose food processor with eversharp blinding speed, with white-gem sparkle option to accentuate the metal flashes of the blade at top speed.

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:04pm

Post #255 of 271 (1929 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Now you're talking, KeenObserver! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I saw in that very brief shot was an epic choir of a thousand levitating angels and the beautiful grittiness of all the world's greatest warriors to ever exist and engage in combat.Laugh

I got a nice jolt from the Elven King when he produces that elvishly soft yet fearsomely sharp "AH!" as he wields his blades.

Perfection!

Beautifully put and you have no idea, none at how happy I am to see diversity in the fanning! I can't believe it's just feminine interest that exists for the Elvenking, that there are no guys who fanboy over the awesome that is Thranduil... I mean I am a NERD, and yeah, it is my fangirl downfall movie!ThranduilHeartHeartHeart is so devastatingly gorgeous too, but as a nerd, I LOVE this character regardless.

Big shout out to the Thrandy fandom and its ardent leader: Lurker in the Mirk.

That's right, I just appointed her as chief.Sly

I am no chief, merely a wantonly cheesy unabashed Thrall. Tongue

Blush Never thought OCD could be a ticket to a commission *giggle* Thank you, you're too kind. Truth is, I'd be happy to keep my obsession in the Thranduil Appreciation
threads, but them infiltrating Dwarves! Someone got to keep them, well teh one, in check EvilTongue

(OT: why is this thread still alive? So tempted to but am afraid tis a trap to eat my long-gush for the teaser... iss it precious?)

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:23pm

Post #256 of 271 (1922 views)
Shortcut
It's night, it's night! Now for replays, reaffirmations and ... yeah, more replays [In reply to] Can't Post

The day was killing! So afraid the thread'll be locked by the time I got in here.

So here goes, quickly:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the epicness of the teaser.

Obviously THRANDUIL IS TEH AWESOME! Though, no one noticed the badass reverse handgripHeart Thranduil does with his left-hand sword in both little flashes we got?!

Thorin in that crown... chillingly and aptly regal Dwarven KING, his sire's sire's HEIR indeed. They changed the Bard/Thorin final faceoff before battle was joined, and of course I'm speaking without full context, but it's got epic on it. Not sure about the Elven phalanx/salute for Bard though.

"Will you follow me one last time?" That sounds so poignant, for more than 1 reason of course. And it does seem like it is also PJ and the cast/crew of all ME movies asking the question.

Bilbo! The Elven army! The war goats! I wanna see Dain on his war-boar go up against Thranduil on his war-elk!

... I can almost forgive the full Tauriel lingering shot and so early into the teaser... almost. Will need a few more viewings of the full teaser and an Elvenking soundbit before I can give it a proper thinkFrown

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:28pm

Post #257 of 271 (1916 views)
Shortcut
*Head exploded* [In reply to] Can't Post

Just THUD!!!

it wasn't so bad was it? Smile

=======

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 1:52pm

Post #258 of 271 (1903 views)
Shortcut
This thread will never die [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like these films and its characters, this thread will live on in our hearts and minds forever!Angelic

I'm glad that you've finally been able to join the party. *hands Lurker a glass of cranberry juice*

I'm still catching up on yesterday's posts. So much to take in and discuss.Crazy

If I had any real authority I would not hesitate to appoint you to your rightful position.Laugh

And I've realized that I can appreciate King Thorin and King Thranduil equally. Nobody should find their self torn between the two somewhat rivalrous fandoms.Evil

Anyway, I asked Avandel what her overall thoughts on the trailer were and now I would like to know yours.Smile

Edit: Whoa, whoa, hold on. I believe you already posted your thoughts somewhere in this thread. I will search for it and give it a thorough reading this time.Evil

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 2:01pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 2:26pm

Post #259 of 271 (1891 views)
Shortcut
*glugs juice with a hearty belch to arch Elrond's brows higher still* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, KeenObserver, so need that.

Just like these films and its characters, this thread will live on in our hearts and minds forever!Angelic

&

And I've realized that I can appreciate King Thorin and King Thranduil equally. Nobody should find their self torn between the two somewhat rivalrous fandoms.Evil

Well said, and well-well said!!! Touché!

Anyway, I asked Avandel what her overall thoughts on the trailer were and now I would like to know yours.Smile

I rushed out some thoughts here, and a bit more in the TA thread here re Thranduil (its not all fangirlling but you can skip it if you're not comfy to visit Smile). If it's safe to continue without risk of threadlock, I'd want to add, though I'm still trying to order my thoughts since I've only managed to watch the HD version on my 19" laptop only just an hour ago, and it's prolly nothing like Avandel's eloquent odes to her grumpy grubby king ... Tongue but here goes:
  • Generally: LOVE!!! SQUEEEEEE!!! THUD!!!
  • The tone, oh man, the tone... we're really moving towards the LotR vibe.
  • Parts of it definitely give a TTT/RotK epic battle vibe (needless to say) and though it's really to early to say, I''ll side-track here a bit and say IMA crossing my fingers we're getting a clear-crisp through-train to the end ala Helm's Depp, and not the huh-wasn't-that-the-swansong? false pangs we kept getting with RotK - ie I want a LONG BotFA but not RotK-oops-hold-on-one-more-end-to-tie-here treatment.
  • I think we get fitting vibes of the story as it deserves - a prelude to LotR, but not a mawkish goaround for the sake of it, if that makes sense.

Other geeky notes
  • Those wooden logos at the beginning were intriguing
  • The choice of the song was interesting. I like the counterpoint of the sombre in the song and the excitement of battle-action. It is very fitting (we're all excited about BATTLE! but war is no childsplay. (I am a bit of a World Wars dilettante*cough* so I'm no squemish stiff-necked prig about it)
  • Galadriel and Gandalf - I just hope this isn't another astral-Galadriel thingy. Either she's there or she's not.
  • That chariot on ice was wicked.
  • The Elven archery phalanx and their armour harkening to the golden Elven host of Gil-galad in the prologue of FotR (I'd like to think Thranduil took the right notes and got to seriously requisition military equipment to ensure the Mirkwood army is not only dressed for success but will have success as well. And hence at least partly why he desires treasure. The armoury ain't gonna retrofit itself.)
  • The Company in/about Erebor.
  • Bilbo's standing around in his innerwear(?) while the Dwarves file by in glorious armour was intriguing. Did he refuse to fight already before "that" confrontation? I can't imagine he'd still be in Erebor if he already 'fess up about what he did.
  • Legolas' expression as he stood with Bard.
  • No Thranduil spoken line - it's a crime!!!FrownMadTongue

=======

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:32pm

Post #260 of 271 (1901 views)
Shortcut
*Sniggers and chuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I can almost forgive the full Tauriel lingering shot and so early into the teaser... almost. Will need a few more viewings of the full teaser and an Elvenking soundbit before I can give it a proper thinkFrown

*Snorts*Laugh Unimpressed *Clears throat and fixes collar*Wink

Though, no one noticed the badass reverse handgripThranduil does with his left-hand sword in both little flashes we got?!

Shocked Bless your Elvish eyes.

"Will you follow me one last time?" That sounds so poignant, for more than 1 reason of course. And it does seem like it is also PJ and the cast/crew of all ME movies asking the question.

HeartUnsureHeartFrownHeart Here's to one last time.Evil

Bilbo! The Elven army! The war goats! I wanna see Dain on his war-boar go up against Thranduil on his war-elk!

YES PLEASE! Of course the war-boar doesn't stand a chance because the war-elk is the embodiment of its master (Thrandy) who possesses unrivalled agility, strength, vision, and grace.Tongue

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 2:47pm

Post #261 of 271 (1914 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting this feeling that the entire movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

is going to have that "last thirty minutes of a movie" kind of feel to it the entire 2.5+ hours. (which is a good thing!)

Things are going to be on an epic scope, hanging on by a thread, tense....

...it can't end!!

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 3:52pm

Post #262 of 271 (1866 views)
Shortcut
I wish you all could have been there. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was pretty special. For me it was the best trailer of the day it was only by pure luck I was able to get in after initially failing at being able to do so.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 5:08pm

Post #263 of 271 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Know how you feel [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I first found Tolkien 50 years ago and reveled in reading him. I then got excited about movies being made by Bakshi and was crushed. Then came the Rankin/Bass The Hobbit. Nice and cute. SIGH. When I heard about some guy in New Zealand make the Lord of the Rings movies, I was confused......scared........hopeful. Who was this guy? Could he do a decent movie? I went to see the film with a great deal of trepidation and came out in tears.....they were tears of joy. Waited eagerly for the rest of the trilogy and was overjoyed with the vision of Middle Earth, Jackson had created. The extended editions filled me with even greater joy. Then silence.....then hope for The Hobbit.......they sadness as it looked to be dead........then eagerness when it was green lit. Then more confusion as it went from 1 film and 1 bridge film to 2 Hobbit films.......to 3 Hobbit films. I have loved both so far and can't wait for the finale and then the 3 extended editions. It has been a LONG journey and I will be sad to see it finally come to an end. Or has it????

zombywoof
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 5:16pm

Post #264 of 271 (1879 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

After the long wait and even a teaser for the teaser (what?), we really didn't get much here. Okay, so a couple of shots of characters, company logos, and generic movie PR jargon like "the defining chapter", etc. We didn't even really get much of a preview of the Battle of the Five Armies or Smaug burning Laketown, or anything, really. By far, the least interesting Middle Earth trailer yet - heck even the DoS trailer had a smiling Smaug! :-)

What we got with this one was just a little here and there, enough to make you want more (which I guess was the point). I don't know, how much of the story is really left to tell in this film? As far as I'm concerned, DoS was the film that I wanted to see - we got the spiders, the barrels, and of course Smaug! The meat of the story is behind us, now we have an adventure film that really won't have much adventure at all! I'll probably be pleasantly surprised and proved wrong, but as it stands, this is the least anticipated Middle Earth for movie yet, at least for me. That said, maybe I'll sit down in December and be completely blown away. I hope so ...

With kitchen prose and gutter rhymes ...

Host of Prog Rock Deep Cuts, airing Thursdays from 7-10 PM EST on houseofprog.com.

Dipling
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:35pm

Post #265 of 271 (1802 views)
Shortcut
1080p [In reply to] Can't Post

download: http://pdl.warnerbros.com/..._oven_1080_1080P.mov

Noria
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 11:00pm

Post #266 of 271 (1845 views)
Shortcut
How much of the story is left to tell? [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO we are just getting to the meat of the story:

Smaug’s destruction of Laketown and Bard’s heroism and rise to leadership.

The Elvenking leaves his cave! Legolas and Tauriel.

The return of the King Under the Mountain and his subsequent fall. Bilbo and the Arkenstone.

The rescue of Gandalf and the battle of Dol Guldur, whatever that will be.

Near or actual war between peoples who should be allies and then...

The Battle of Five Armies, with Azog and/or Bolg, wargs, bats, eagles and Beorn.

Heroism and tragedy.

Bilbo returns Home and the Auction.

There is a lot.

(This post was edited by Noria on Jul 29 2014, 11:01pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 1:11am

Post #267 of 271 (1747 views)
Shortcut
OK, Queen, here is Thorin in crown, sized [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I finally got off my behind and made an avatar - wow, celebrating a trailer and reaching Tol Eressea and an incredible Thranduil pic and
seeing ThorinHeartHeartHeart

Hope this is what you were looking for, and find this, because LOL I could have used it myself *grins*Wink

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 31 2014, 1:14am)

delius82
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 3:53am

Post #268 of 271 (1748 views)
Shortcut
And doesn't it look... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like Thorin's gained a bit of weight, at least in the face?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 11:50am

Post #269 of 271 (1728 views)
Shortcut
no indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

YES PLEASE! Of course the war-boar doesn't stand a chance because the war-elk is the embodiment of its master (Thrandy) who possesses unrivalled agility, strength, vision, and grace.Tongue

Them elk horns will have the boar skewered like, well, a boar on a spit. Tongue

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 4:14pm

Post #270 of 271 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Yes it does but [In reply to] Can't Post

RA made some comment, I believe, re "they CGI'd my face". Which I thought was odd, because I hadn't noticed, but think there may be some 'wee tinkering going on here to emphasize Thorin "devolving" into Thor, kind of. E.g. chunky dwarf, sort of.

Which personally I hope they use a light hand on, because like Legolas' contacts a little bit of that - Thorin lined up in profile with the statue - is PLENTY. I don't need a movie to use a laser pointer so that I "get" it!!! And stop messing with these actors - IMO Legolas is looking hugely better, because it looks like they lightened up.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 4:16pm

Post #271 of 271 (1713 views)
Shortcut
LOL Noria [In reply to] Can't Post

Just says to ME that this needs to be a 4-hour movie, minimumHeart

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.