The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
[SPOILERS] Shadows of Middle Earth Storyline

vexx801
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 14 (5927 views)
Shortcut
[SPOILERS] Shadows of Middle Earth Storyline Can't Post

What does everyone think of the storyline for Shadows of Middle Earth, given the new trailer? What do we think of the revelation that the wraith attached to Talion is actually the infamous Celebrimbor? What role will Gollum play in the story?

How might the story progress? How much actual present-time interaction with Sauron will there be?

I also read an interview in which it was noted that Sauron has only just moved to Mordor, after the attack by the White Council on Dol Guldur (appropriate, given the release of BOTFA in December), and Mordor is still being taken over. As a result, there are still a few inhabited towns left that the Dark Lord has yet to conquer. What do we think about this?

In other words, I'm rather excited about this story and curious what others think about all of this, how the story will play out, so forth.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 7:44pm

Post #2 of 14 (5781 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps discussion if we get the title correct.

The revelation of the identity of the Wraith is an interesting development. I would never have suspected that it would be Celembrimbor, the maker of the Three Elven Rings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:52am

Post #3 of 14 (5763 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it surprised me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I would never have guessed it would have been any Elf, much less Celebrimbor.

I kind of like the poetic justice of the situation: Celebrimbor, the Elf who was most deceived by Sauron, is now (apparently) working to overthrow Sauron, even though he's a wraith.

I'm very curious to see how it plays out. I wonder how much the creators knew about the fate of the Elves.

TolkienBlog.com

Wilros
The Shire

Jul 31 2014, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 14 (5739 views)
Shortcut
Might be worth picking up [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought when I saw the poster released was: yuck! Why do they have a possessed ranger holding Narsil getting his bloodlust on around Mordor? Looks absolutely lore breaking and just another crappy game trying to make a buck off The Professor's good works.
http://www.gameinformer.com/...of-mordor-67498.aspx

But in hearing a bit more about it, it sounds like the gameplay at least is supposed to be good, and the storyline, although still a bit out there, is maybe a bit closer to the spirit of ME than it appeared at a first glance.

I don't have much time to spend gaming, but would consider picking this up if I get some free time.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 1 2014, 4:43am

Post #5 of 14 (5735 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious to see how far from Tolkien's lore it strays [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I think about it, the less unfaithful it seems. Tolkien never really delved into the evil side of things, so there are a lot of questions.

When I first heard about it, I wasn't sure what to think because ghosts/spirits aren't really a thing in M-e. But what about the Barrow-wights? There's actually a lot of scope for interpretation there.

TolkienBlog.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 14 (5775 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't go that far... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When I first heard about it, I wasn't sure what to think because ghosts/spirits aren't really a thing in M-e. But what about the Barrow-wights? There's actually a lot of scope for interpretation there.

The Army of the Dead is certainly comprised of ghosts. We are told that the victims of a Morgul-knife are in danger of becoming lesser Wraiths under command of the Ringwraiths.

Examples of non-human spirits incarnated or inhabiting the forms of others exist not only in the form of Barrow-wights, but also as Werewolves and possibly Boldogs (evil spirits or ainur incarnated as great Orcs). We don't know the exact origin of Trolls; stone figures inhabited by spirits or Ainur?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 4:55pm

Post #7 of 14 (5719 views)
Shortcut
The story [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like it's going to be interesting. I was in the panel at SDCC and they seemed that they cared about the story Tolkien wrote and want to be respectful of that. It's going to stray some of course but I think the game as well as the story will be quite enjoyable.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 4:46am

Post #8 of 14 (5722 views)
Shortcut
The spirit being an Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't exactly in step with what Tolkien said. However, IIRC, Tolkien did say that sometimes Elves' fëar refuse the summons to the Halls of Mandos and remain in Middle-earth. I'll have to see if I can dig up that reference.

TolkienBlog.com

T_Meyers
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 2:53am

Post #9 of 14 (5827 views)
Shortcut
Here's my theory [In reply to] Can't Post

This theory came to me when I heard Gollum talk about "treasures of the Bright Master" and then Celebrimbor saying with each treasure found his power "grows stronger."

Now, Sauron created the One Ring and poured his power into it. Perhaps Celebrimbor did the same with the other rings? So, in this game, in Sauron's attempt to gain power he is not only concerned with the One Ring, but all the others as well. Granted, we know that some of the rings are far out of Sauron's reach, but what if he still manages to obtain at least some?

So, when Talion and Celebrimbor destroy/obtain each ring, Celebrimbor reabsorbs some of his former power. Perhaps one of the first artifacts the duo go after is Celebrimbor's hammer so that he can destroy the rings? Remember, the One Ring was created in the fires of Mount Doom and it is only there where it can be unmade. Perhaps the same applies to the other rings with Celebrimbor's hammer?

And Gollum, being attached to the power of the One Ring, has gained some type of "sense" that will allow him to find these rings and help the heroes. Think Harry Potter and the Horcruxes.

Then, when all the rings in Mordor are destroyed/obtained, Talion and Celebrimbor march toward Sauron and his forces with their own orc army to have one last duel. Celebrimbor is at his most powerful, Sauron is at his most weakest. An epic battle ensues until Sauron is unable to manifest himself beyond anything than the great eye.

Mordor is decimated by the battle, turning it into the land of ash we know from the LOTR films. In the end, Celebrimbor and Talion sacrifice themselves to give some future foe of the Dark Lord the opportunity to finally, and completely, destroy him if and when they march the One Ring back into the fires of Mount Doom.

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"One final word……….. Tolkien and Rowling’s [books] will be family favourites for years to come and if book one of Tommy's [series], Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric, is anything to go by he will be joining these great authors!" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Book 2 of the Eric Elmoor Saga, "Eric Elmoor and The Chalice of Cameron," is coming soon!

(This post was edited by T_Meyers on Aug 5 2014, 2:54am)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 3:30am

Post #10 of 14 (5699 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the logic in Gollum being drawn to the other Rings of Power, as well as Celebrimbor putting some of his essence into each ring.

I don't think it's possible for them to collect all of the Rings, though. At least a couple of the Dwarven rings had been swallowed by dragons. Sauron probably had a couple more. I think the Ringwraiths had their Rings, too. And of course the Three Rings were accounted for, although few knew who held them.

TolkienBlog.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 7:23pm

Post #11 of 14 (5766 views)
Shortcut
Meaning of the name 'Talion'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Talion seems to be a Sindar name, but I'm having trouble ascribing a meaning to it. The root tal means foot (I suppose that when Talion was born, he might have had big feet for a baby).

It might be more likely that Talion's name is derived from the word talath, meaning plain. This would give Talion the meaning of Man of the Plains.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 2:30am

Post #12 of 14 (5652 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even think about what his name means. I assumed that he was a Gondorian. That begs the question--why was he in Mordor? And how was his family captured?

TolkienBlog.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 10 2014, 12:37pm

Post #13 of 14 (5657 views)
Shortcut
Many Gondoreans have Sindarin names [In reply to] Can't Post

Denethor (II) and his father Ecthelion (II) both have names of Sindarin origin. Sindarin names were also common among the Rangers of the North (Arathorn, Aragorn, Gilraen, etc.).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 10 2014, 12:40pm)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 4:57pm

Post #14 of 14 (5735 views)
Shortcut
That's why I assumed he was a Gondorian [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Gondorians knew Sindarin--or even knew what the names meant? I assume that the Rangers of the North were more familiar with the meanings.

TolkienBlog.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.