The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
RA's new film: Into the Storm

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 2:05pm

Post #1 of 23 (1485 views)
Shortcut
RA's new film: Into the Storm Can't Post

Never heard of it, LOL? Well, he went to Detroit and made this as soon as he finished with TH. There were a few delays after the CGI firm went bust and they had to find a new company to complete it.

Basically, it's Twister 2 - only much better, by all accounts. They have just shown a preview at SDCC and a panel of cast and crew has been answering questions.

They have gone for realism in this, using a mixture of regular film and found footage (no wobbly camera, though). RA plays a widowed father of two boys, a vice-principal of a local school (in Oklahoma?) who goes looking for one of his kids after a series of tornadoes batter the town.

The cast apparently went through hell trying to cope with vicious wind machines and constant 'rain'. Not everything was CGI and, in one of the clips, you will see a real truck being dropped out of the sky right in front of RA. And the hailstones that were used were, unlike the bits of ice used in Twister, realistically spherical in shape and were especially shaped pieces of ice used in drinks (and cost $1 each, LOL) and really hurt.

Reports back from previews are very enthusiastic. It's apparently edge of the seat stuff but also very respectful to people who suffer such tragedies IRL. It is being regarded as a 'sleeper' and could prove the unlikely hit of the summer.

But, don't go solely for RA, who has drastically toned down his usual magnetism to play 'ordinary bloke', because the weather is the main draw in this: the cast are just wet and bedraggled background fodder from what I can make out. Rumour has it that, since he now lives in New York, he made this chiefly to get a green card. I don't think it will in any way 'launch' him to a wider public but the film is being snatched up by distributors all around the world, including China, India and Russia and RA has already been interviewed for Chinese TV. It's out in the States on August 8th.

Here's one of the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnTnbdd859A

And here's a clip that shows a 'chunk' of the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0QkuBmQCg

And here's the panel from SDCC. No RA because of The Crucible (although he will be in the States for the premiere on August 4th). However, they do mention him in a lot of anecdotes such as when his wool suit was so constantly wet that he smelled of dead sheep, LOL. If you have limited time, watch from 40:00 when a woman stands up to ask what it was like to work with RA. As usual, everyone is very nice about him. For instance, after working with prosthetics for so long, he asked his co-star to nudge him if his facial expressions were ever OTT, which she found very touching; it made him seem very open and vulnerable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5nnoqBEfc

It won't make intellectual demands on you like the new BC film; it won't give RA a glamorous image like the one that Luke Evans will get from his Dracula film; but I reckon it will give you a load of fun.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 23 (1339 views)
Shortcut
At least it's going to be in major theaters here [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might only make it to our 'indie' theater, but I have seen the banner for it at one of our big theater complexes, so that's good news. And of course, I will be seeing this! It should be exciting, and for me the big draw is RA, no matter if he's playing it low key or no. This is going to be a CGI blockbuster anyway, from the looks of it.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 4:34pm

Post #3 of 23 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Been waiting for this for ages [In reply to] Can't Post

and I saw a poster for it in one of our theaters here (Columbus OH) a couple of weeks ago. It's also listed as a Dolby Atmos release on the Dolby website, so I'll be going up to the theater with the Atmos system to see it and, fingers crossed, the sound effects will be as good as the special effects on screen.

I can never resist anything about tornados, and I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in the midwest just the sound of the sirens in the movie trailer gives me shivers. But as long as the tornados stay on screen, that's OK. Smile

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 5:56pm

Post #4 of 23 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Yup, been waiting for this for 2 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it interesting that he went straight from filming TH on Friday to starting to film this on Monday. I wonder how hard it was to shake off Thorin's character after playing him for so long? One of the actors who plays his son said he was kinda scary when he was yelling (which is apparently a lot).

2 weeks to go! Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 6:26pm

Post #5 of 23 (1339 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that we'll see very little of Thorin in Gary Fuller. I think he tried so hard to be an ordinary dad that even the director remarked on how he downplayed himself.

RA was asked the other day why there were so many Brits playing Americans in American films. He basically said that it was because they were cheap, LOL! I think there is an element of truth in this but I think that, as far as ITS goes, bigger American stars would probably not be prepared to go through the rigours that the director required of them nor, more importantly, would they be prepared to play second fiddle to a tornado with only a limited amount of characterisation.

I think he took this on to get a green card, or perhaps to have a 'starring' role on his CV or perhaps to please WB in the hopes of something better later.

If this is a popular worldwide success, then that's a big plus and probably totally unexpected.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 23 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm sure you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

He's so good at creating a character, it'll be unique. I did see a comment from him that this wasn't necessarily the type of role/movie he might pick, but he wanted to explore the relationship between the father and sons and their family dynamic since the mom was gone. And I think it was originally going to be a smaller movie, but I imagine having the starring role would help get him the attention that he deserves, both from US audiences and the studios. In any case, he elevates any production he's in, and I do hope it's a sleeper hit! Smile

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 9:07pm

Post #7 of 23 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Here are a couple of decent photos at last! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of a very dirty Gary and one of Gary with a cute dog, LOL!

https://twitter.com/...956898648064/photo/1

And:

https://twitter.com/...558515683329/photo/1

People who don't like his beard should be pleased!

Kim
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 9:10pm

Post #8 of 23 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I just saw those! [In reply to] Can't Post

And in addition to being good photos, do you realize what this means? He saves the dog! Laugh

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 10:11pm

Post #9 of 23 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

Wet, dirty and an unbuttoned collar.

This movie cannot get here soon enough. Wink

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 10:29pm

Post #10 of 23 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I finally get to use my free ticket... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I'm not sure if I'll be viewing BoFA in theaters (still haven't decided yet), but I know I'll be going to this one. For starters, it's been a while since I've seen a disaster movie in theaters (the last one was 2012, and that was back in 2009, which was five years ago), and like I mentioned before, I now have enough Scene points for a free movie (you need to accumulate 1000 Scene points for a free movie, which is usually done by purchasing ten regular movie tickets). This will save more money for the concession stand. And I love it when RA is scary, since I love the tougher, warrior types (but this doesn't mean I dislike the nicer ones). I'm no goody-two-shoes, so scary scenes (or characters) don't seem to bother me that much, so I would have no problem approaching any of them (though I would still be nervous).

As of today, RA and me are the same age, since I turned 42 today (at 2:00 in the morning, if you want to know), but unfortunately, only for a few more weeks. And for some reason, July 25th and August 22nd always seem to fall on the same day of the week (weird, but cool). The only thing that feels older are my muscles, because before I turned 40 I could wear my hair back in a ponytail without any pain. Now, not so much, and the length makes no difference. This goes to show you that life doesn't begin at 40, you start feeling more pain at 40, but according to one of my aunts, 50 is even worse!Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 10:46pm

Post #11 of 23 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Awww, he's so cute! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the dog isn't bad either......Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 23 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't think he's exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

a warrior, QoB. He's just a grumpy dad in a dreadful 'dad suit' who, according to RA, doesn't even run like a hero in his casual dad shoes, LOL. But he is a reflection of the ordinary hero inside ourselves who rises to the occasion when something awful happens.

And a Happy Birthday! I can also guarantee that things hurt more the older you get but there are compensations and (apart from the aches and pains) I've enjoyed getting older.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 9:14pm

Post #13 of 23 (1297 views)
Shortcut
that Nerd HQ psyched me for opening day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to see this movie anyway, but between the full trailer and the freshness and enthusiasm of both audience and the panel, it completely had me revamp my schedule - yep, I'm going August 8 if i can. From the panel what struck me is the audience seemed to be really into it and that girl asking what happens to a cast member, which tells me the audience got engaged by the film. And I was impressed with the commitment and the special effects and the director talking about wanting to get the light right. Plus there is something cool about anyone taking on a tornado movie in the face of the constant comparisons with Twister. I totally enjoyed that pane, even with RA not being there.

nor, more importantly, would they be prepared to play second fiddle to a tornado with only a limited amount of characterisation.

I'm thinking that just maybe this is one of those "little" movies that becomes a sleeper hit - re a fresh approach, an engaging cast, looks like some great effects. And speaking as a U.S.er I am GLAD RA took on a part like this - because it is stretching himself, it's different, between BOFA and this folks get to see his range, and personally our American stars for me may be great, but it's getting harder and harder to see them as anything but: "oh look, it's George Clooney in his "serious" acting part or his "comedic" acting part. E.g you mean this isn't Oceans 15 or whatever?Wink *cough* Monuments Men - which I haven't seen yet actually.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 26 2014, 10:03pm

Post #14 of 23 (1280 views)
Shortcut
It will be August 10th for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

since going to a movie on opening day just doesn't work for me, whether it opens on a Friday or a Wednesday. I just hope there are no family get togethers for that day, since you can't get a refund for online tickets (when I've earned free admission, I always like to buy the ticket online, since I find it easier). Some of my aunts and one of their boyfriends are on holidays in South America, so I'm hoping they don't have a dinner when they come back (which is about at the same time that Into the Storm hits theaters), since they missed my birthday (got lots of money though, which I'm going to need for both the material for my Halloween costume and multiple theater runs).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 10:29pm

Post #15 of 23 (1284 views)
Shortcut
suggest stash some cash for a BR!! [In reply to] Can't Post

those after-holiday deals. Smile

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 11:25am

Post #16 of 23 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Comment from The Mail on Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mail is a big-selling newspaper in the UK and I get the feeling that they have seen one of the previews of ITS that have been shown worldwide and not just at Comic-Con. Here is a small comment:

The Mail on Sunday Summer Film Special, Events pick of the best family films -

"For action men and boys - Into The Storm.
A group of high-school students battle the elements as a spectacularly destructive tornado and its aftermath hits town. A superb nature-running-amok thriller.
Cert 12A. August 22."

I'd be quite happy if all the other critics reckon it's 'superb', LOL!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 12:05am

Post #17 of 23 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Featurette and B-rolls for Into the Storm [In reply to] Can't Post

The fan site

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/news.html

has posted some new clips from Into the Storm on their news page. A four minute featurette and two B-rolls from the filming. There are some other things, too, but I think they have already been posted here.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 1:13am

Post #18 of 23 (1231 views)
Shortcut
I can't find them [In reply to] Can't Post

clicking through a lot of pages, got zip. Any chance of a direct link?

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 31 2014, 1:32am

Post #19 of 23 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm super looking forward to this movie, but unfortunately it doesn't come out in NZ until September 4th :(

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 2:16am

Post #20 of 23 (1232 views)
Shortcut
I'm seeing them on the NEWS tab, under July 29, right at the top [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/news.html

(hope I did this link correctly - first try at using the link code)
Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 3:54am

Post #21 of 23 (1227 views)
Shortcut
tip for linking to stories like this [In reply to] Can't Post

many sites display their most recent stories on their 'home' page. If you link to the home page and someone visits it a few days from now, the home page will be displaying fresher stories (or at least fresher stories at the top of the page).

To link directly to the one article you want someone to see, you can usually click on the title of the article. For the RA site, it looks like they do one a day so it's the date you click on. What that does is display a url that will take someone directly to that article no matter what day they visit.

I think the url that would work best for you in this situation is:
http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/news.html#jul29

You got the code perfectly.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 5:37am

Post #22 of 23 (1228 views)
Shortcut
First comments after LA screening [In reply to] Can't Post

From the Anglophile Channel: "OHMYGAWD!!! We're not allowed to review this film till it opens but...OHMYGAWD...what a WILD RIDE it was! My mouth was on the floor, or eyes covered or screaming through the whole movie. Amazing! It rocked!" https://www.facebook.com/...mp;notif_t=notify_me

Yay!

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 11:55am

Post #23 of 23 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.