Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How can Bard be this great war leader after being a bargeman?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 10:20pm

Post #1 of 48 (1269 views)
Shortcut
How can Bard be this great war leader after being a bargeman? Can't Post

E.g., re the "Kingdom of Heaven" the main character Balian - one of the criticisms at the time - or sniggers - was basically this character had been a blacksmith, for a while evidently, and with like 30 seconds of practice he vaults into being a great war strategist and fighter (tho it turns out in the director's cut Balian is a former soldier which wasn't in the TE).

So Bard has been 1) poling a boat, evidently for a while; and 2) probably hunts to feed his family, so I completely accept he's a great archer. And probably everyone in ME has some sword and knife skills, more or less.

But he's not like the dwarves or Mirkwood elves, where fighting is a regular part of existence; nor was he rich, where probably the rich send their sons off to train. And re the WETA books the guards of Laketown seem more like thugs of the Master than anything so doesn't seem like a lot of training there.

I know to suspend disbelief re movies, but Bilbo has been using Sting more than Bard has been using a sword. Tho it's just a clip - but still - I hope there is something that is brought out that makes Bard's sword-fighting plausible if he is going to do a lot of it. Because as far as I know re fighting with a weapon it's practice, practice, practice. Unsure

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 48 (848 views)
Shortcut
Because... [In reply to] Can't Post

He kills Smaug.

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:26pm

Post #3 of 48 (776 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he will be the natural leader after killing Smaug and having been the "protector of the common folk" for years, and the one who foreshadowed the doom of the town.

And regarding the fighting, life in Lake-town probably is no cakewalk... Even if there are no Orcs. Some might even be trained in sword fighting for times of need. Nothing unnatural in medieval times either.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 48 (777 views)
Shortcut
He probably would have had a lot of practice [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine that in the type of community that he was living in, men would learn to fight from an early age to defend themselves and their families. It looked as though there were some shifty characters, up to no good, in Laketown. I don't think someone who appeared weak would survive very long in the Laketown environment, and Bard certainly doesn't look or behave like a weakling.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2014, 10:42pm

Post #5 of 48 (703 views)
Shortcut
That brings up another point... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Bard even have a sword? I don't recall seeing him carrying one in DOS.

A battlefield is no place for an archer without skills in swordfighting, so I wonder if the lack of Bard having a sword is indicative of him assuming some sort of strategic place during the battle from where he can use his bow?

Confusion! Laugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:59pm

Post #6 of 48 (640 views)
Shortcut
What about the other weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

Two things: 1 - he has all those other weapons, crude as they may be, and 2 - he's apparently got some experience at smuggling. So suspend your disbelief just a little bit longer, there's probably alot about Bard that we haven't learned yet.

Rochallor

Jul 27 2014, 11:04pm

Post #7 of 48 (637 views)
Shortcut
Book doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in the original text by professor Tolkien, the "idealization" of Bard being the leader after the Master's departure isn't clarified enough, I mean, how it happens in fact. So I think the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh/Del Toro script will give us an additional light over the subject.

deskp
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 11:14pm

Post #8 of 48 (635 views)
Shortcut
well. [In reply to] Can't Post

He got Girion's sword.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2014, 11:17pm

Post #9 of 48 (622 views)
Shortcut
Oh does he? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall BlushSmile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:23pm

Post #10 of 48 (621 views)
Shortcut
Bard the Militiaman? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in the book it is unclear that Bard is part of the regular soldiery/city guard of Lake-town. Perhaps he is a member of a town militia and is only called to action during a civic emergency. When Bard is first introduced he is merely a grim-voiced fellow of Lake-town; nothing is mentioned about his being a guard. However, he immediately takes charge, ordering the bridges to be cut and issuing the call to arms. When the dragon attacks, Bard leads a company of archers, but that could be as a militiaman and not as a regular soldier.

As for the final film, we can only guess until it is released.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 27 2014, 11:26pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:32pm

Post #11 of 48 (619 views)
Shortcut
Now that's an excellent point [In reply to] Can't Post

And if you are a bargeman on a river - well, come to think of it, all kinds of wanderers might want to take on a loan bargeman - thanks Glorfindela! That helped! Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:39pm

Post #12 of 48 (607 views)
Shortcut
But I think Glorfindela makes a great point [In reply to] Can't Post

And thinking about some other books I've read about real-life fishing towns - they seem to be rough-and-tumble places. I just got stuck on the remarks re Kingdom of Heaven from way back - because in that movie it's true, even if a blacksmith is tough, in that film there is some war strategy, and I wouldn't think the average blacksmith would think along those lines.

I was just flinching in case PJ was heading down that path, because that kind of "instant warrior" morph always seems to get targeted. Even Bilbo by now we can assume has picked up some swordplay, just living with the dwarves.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:50pm

Post #13 of 48 (602 views)
Shortcut
Now there's an image! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And if you are a bargeman on a river - well, come to think of it, all kinds of wanderers might want to take on a loan bargeman - thanks Glorfindela! That helped! Smile

I think you meant, lone bargeman. The other conjures up the image of a loanshark who travels up and down the River to do business.

Anywhoo, tough and strong is good but a commander or king needs to display leadership. That is what Bard does when Smaug attacks Lake-town!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 12:06am

Post #14 of 48 (567 views)
Shortcut
LOL thanks for the correction [In reply to] Can't Post

*Whoops* - now I am laughing at the image - traveling the river, trying to fleece the unwitting......ShockedSlyLaugh

Anywhoo, tough and strong is good but a commander or king needs to display leadership. That is what Bard does when Smaug attacks Lake-town!

That's one of the reasons I love those images of Thorin facing off Smaug, Bilbo facing Azog, Bard facing Smaug - and in the midst of all this courage we wonders if there will be amusing scenes of the Master and his henchman running for it - bet they won't get far tho...Evil

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 12:14am

Post #15 of 48 (590 views)
Shortcut
Kingdom of Heaven was butchered in the editing room... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you acknowledged the Director's Cut in your original post, but I still hate to see that example used. Balian was a soldier and an engineer in the only version of that film that matters.

Not trying to be an irritant. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Blush

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 1:12am

Post #16 of 48 (519 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The same way a shepherd boy can become a warrior king.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 1:56am

Post #17 of 48 (521 views)
Shortcut
agree with some posters above here [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a number of reasons why Bard would know how to use a sword, some of which have been outlined above.

1. A militia type reserve army. There's a good bet that Laketown has had its fair share of run-ins with malcontents, illicit traders and the like. A town that doesn't know how to defend itself would be a sitting duck for an attack (pardon the lake pun). Esgaroth has been around for a while- at least we know it was thriving and alive during Thror's reign so many years before. So I have a feeling that part of the reason the weaponry was locked up was BECAUSE the men of the town knew how to use them, as per a militia called to arms only at need.

2. Bard may have found ways to teach himself secretly. He has a whole arsenal of makeshift weapons, and though he's the leader of the civil unrest Alfrid mentions, doubtless there are others among the people who tire of the corruption as well. Perhaps one of them has had sword training in the past, or lived in a former place before coming to live in Esgaroth, and was able to teach him. Or he could have learned from traders outside of Esgaroth, but didn't sneak in weapons because his barges were inspected and knew he would be caught.

3. Because of Bard's lineage, the skills needed, even if broomsticks or whatever were used in their place, may have been passed down through the generations. We know Girion died, but not all of the men of Dale did-they fled to Esgaroth after the original attack (else how would anyone else know what Smaug did to Dale?). His ancestor's mother (Girion's wife) undoubtedly either taught her child herself (if she knew how) or asked a trusted friend to teach, and the skills got passed down father to son using whatever was handy and the right length for a sword.

4. Another thought- the Master isn't almost 200 years old (obviously). He may have only in the last decade or so come to power (depending on how old he is in relation to Bard). Up until then, the former masters may have allowed people to own weapons, and it may have been easier than we realize to find someone who still remembered how to use them who could teach Bard.

There's a number of ways he could have learned.

And regarding blacksmiths (as outlined in your KoH reference), who do you think makes the swords? A blacksmith would have need to know exactly how to use one in order to make one with the proper balance, the proper length, the proper weight for the user, etc. They would need to know every aspect of a sword, from the types of guards to the weight of the pommel in relation to the blade (balance), to placing the furrow in the middle of the blade to drain the blood, to making sure grips were the right hand length (one hand, hand and a half, two handed) and the grooves in the grip shaped for the average hand size of wielders of that particular weight and length, to make sure the blade was sharpened properly and the right width to yield the type of cut desired, etc.

So it's not surprising to me at ALL that a blacksmith would need to have at least a rudimentary, if not intermediate, skill with a blade simply to do their job and do it well. And can you honestly imagine someone forging swords and the like day in and day out and never ONCE give in to the temptation to "test it out"? Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 2:05am

Post #18 of 48 (496 views)
Shortcut
I'm on your side! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm tired (and let's face it, happy since I had been complaining re the trailer, so the Monday release is grandHeart). Was up late actually re-watching DOS.CoolTongue

But I actually always thought KOH is vastly underrated, w. some stellar performances (love Eva Green for one, Ghassan Massoud, Jeremy Irons....) and amazing visuals and lines. Plus I really respect the director saying point-blank the TE was never the release he wanted - that was refreshing.

So I know of some other examples, they are just not in my higher brain at the moment. Crazy One thing tho is MF's wonderful IMO performance when he defends Thorin in AUJ and with the goblin, he's believably shaky and awkward with a sword, and by DOS he's a lot more comfortable with Sting, obviously. Nice touch.Heart

happydood
The Shire

Jul 28 2014, 2:09am

Post #19 of 48 (542 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He kills Smaug.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 2:45am

Post #20 of 48 (476 views)
Shortcut
that's what a rebel is [In reply to] Can't Post

Will Turner for Pirates was the same way; they become self-taught. Bard is like today's version of a prepper. They prepare for the worst, even if that means revolution. They teach themselves how to fight in order to prepare for this moment.

Not to mention, Bard is related to Girion, Lord of Dale, maybe warrior just runs in his blood and comes naturally :)

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 2:46am

Post #21 of 48 (476 views)
Shortcut
"Blood groove" (pardon the tangent) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know who first came up with the term "blood groove", but it has been widely debunked among students of swords. The proper term is fuller. It's purpose is to lighten the blade by removing metal from places where the extra material does little to add to the strength of the blade. A fuller has nothing to do with the flow of blood from a wound. Unless something goes very wrong, the blade will be removed from the wound long before it interferes with the letting of blood.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. Smile

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 28 2014, 3:38am

Post #22 of 48 (461 views)
Shortcut
A blacksmith does not make a commander [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the main question voiced concerning Bloom's character Balian is not his skill with a blade. As you rightly point out, much of the smith's craft is dependent upon an intimate familiarity with his deadly products.

Rather, the surprising turn taken in the theatrical edition of Kingdom of Heaven's plot is Balian's ability to plan complex defensive tactics during the siege of Jerusalem and serve as a skilled cavalry commander in the skirmish outside of Kerak. Neither of these things would have been in the skill set of a peasant blacksmith, no matter how skilled he had become at his craft or how familiar he had become with his weapons.

The story only makes sense under the Extended Edition's revelation that Balian had been a siege engineer in previous wars. Presumably he honed his skill set in those engagements.

All that said, I agree with everything you say about the plausibility of Bard's skill as both a warrior and a commander.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 3:53am

Post #23 of 48 (449 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to pardon me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying not to come off grouchy, but - admittedly - I'm not always successful at that. Tongue

I have a bad habit of being overly protective of movies I love (which is a bit silly, I know) - and my support of KoH always seems like an uphill battle, given the tepid reaction of the Theatrical Release.

Obviously, I've no need of that here though. Glad to hear you like it so much. Smile It's one of my favorites - and definitely the textbook example of a Director's Cut wiping the floor with the Theatrical. So much texture and story meat is left by the wayside in the original.

I agree that the performances are phenomenal. I also want to throw out a mention for Alexander Siddig, who plays the Muslim that Balian meets in the desert (and later on the battlefield). His presence really stuck out to me when I first saw the film and I've loved his work ever since. I'm really happy to see that he's just been cast in the next season of Game of Thrones. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 28 2014, 3:57am

Post #24 of 48 (443 views)
Shortcut
Siddig [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved his performance in KoH. I'm curious to see what direction he takes Prince Doran!

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 28 2014, 4:13am

Post #25 of 48 (449 views)
Shortcut
I think he would have been capable [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think someone who appeared weak would survive very long in the Laketown environment, and Bard certainly doesn't look or behave like a weakling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.