Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Special Edition: What have you been watching AND what buzz are you hearing about entertainment shows from Comic-Con (etc)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:45pm

Post #1 of 42 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Special Edition: What have you been watching AND what buzz are you hearing about entertainment shows from Comic-Con (etc) Can't Post

I'm posting a bit early as Comic-Con starts to empty out so we can add discussion of any promotional buzz about tv shows or movies in this thread as you like. Also, news of fall tv shows are starting to hit the net in general. All of it's fair game for this thread. Just put some indication in your subject line that you're discussing buzz, promos, or news about upcoming shows/movies/seasons.

And, as always, tell us what movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 27 2014, 11:46pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:54pm

Post #2 of 42 (3026 views)
Shortcut
Comic-Con Buzz: Outlander : Ronald D Moore + Bear McCreary... [In reply to] Can't Post

... can I put the DVDs in my Netflix queue already?

io9 seems to love what they've seen of the new Starz tv show based on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and shared their spoiler free first impresson.

excerpts:

We've seen the sexy, sexy premiere of Ron D. Moore's time traveling romance series Outlander. And it was fantastic.

You come for the dirty men in kilts, and stay for the wonderfully complicated and all-consuming love story.

This series is astoundingly beautiful. Thanks primarily to the fact that Moore and company filmed just about everything they could on location in the actual Scottish Highlands.

Pair the amazing background with the painstakingly accurate set design, costumes, and makeup and you have one lovely-looking drama. Every storefront, old timey automobile and dapper hat only adds to the world this crew is trying to create. It becomes an immersive experience, especially when the gears shift from sepia-toned 1940s to the bright world of 18th Century Scotland.

(some discussion of characters and pace that aren't easily quotable)

This is Bear McCreary's moment. If you're familiar with the work of the Battlestar Galactica alum you know that the folksy sounds of the Highlands have always inspired and peppered his works. And now he's been totally unleashed and it is amazing.

They have a trailer with some of Bear's music.
http://io9.com/...-moores-o-1611481234

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 12:04am

Post #3 of 42 (3023 views)
Shortcut
Premiering this week: The Quest - Thursday, 8/7c - ABC (US) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great fantasy is filled with adventure, challenges, discovery, fish out of water and good vs. evil — turns out, another modern genre shares these exact same traits. Announcing "The Quest," a reality show that literally takes contestants and audiences to an amazing, imaginative realm, where the ogres are advancing in the woods, the dragons are stirring, agents of a dark lord are infiltrating the keep, and the only thing that stands between peace and chaos are 12 very unlikely heroes. From the producers of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, paired with the producers of "The Amazing Race," "The Quest" is a fully immersive experience. In and around this castle, our fantasy realm comes to life with state-of-the art projections, animatronics, prosthetics, real-time motion capture and art direction. The narrative and mythology of "The Quest" is deep and fully imagined, and it was designed to incorporate seamlessly with the unexpected actions and decisions of our contestants – fantasy comes alive as it never has before in this genre-bending series.

They have a bunch of clips on the official site.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-quest

The Quest premieres Thursday, July 31 at 8|7c on ABC.

Is this show running in other countries?

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 28 2014, 12:04am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 12:19am

Post #4 of 42 (3027 views)
Shortcut
Comic-Con: Game of Thrones and Agents of SHIELD blooper reels [In reply to] Can't Post

'Game of Thrones' blooper reel (from season 4)

'Agents of SHIELD' gag reel (from season 1)

I haven't seen season 4 of GoT and I didn't think the blooper reel was terribly spoilerish. But, it goes without saying, it is - at its essence - spoilery for season 4. inspectoris caveat

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2014, 12:27am

Post #5 of 42 (3033 views)
Shortcut
Saw 'Lucy' this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

and was pretty disappointed. The previews looked very interesting, but the movie was a weird concoction of unoriginal thriller and unoriginal philosophy (and bad science). Sort of - 'Spiderman' meets '2001: A Space Odyssey' meets 'Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance' meets 'Generic Chinese Mafia Movie'. If I was 20 years old I might have liked it because the ideas would have seemed new and interesting, but there was nothing in the movie that wasn't copied from some other movie that I've already seen, and it wasn't even a good copy.

Wow, I think that's one of the meanest movie reviews I've ever done. Evil

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 1:08am

Post #6 of 42 (3023 views)
Shortcut
well that's a disappointment [In reply to] Can't Post

I would only have seen this one second run or on DVD and I probably still will. But I was kind of looking forward to it and I'm disappointed (we keep using that word) that it didn't register better for you.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 2:21am

Post #7 of 42 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat intrigued... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was somewhat intrigued by the Mad Max trailer. I'm not a fan of these films, or films of this sub-genre, but I do admire their ability to create a stylistically unique aesthetic. There appear to be many practical effects throughout, in addition to the CGI sandstorm part.

And I'm excited to see Boyhood this coming weekend. Definitely coming back to report on that one.

(here's Mad Max)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 4:41am

Post #8 of 42 (3006 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could watch Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't get Starz, so I too will be waiting for the day we can rent it. I've kind of not been paying too much attention to the build up so I won't feel like I'm missing out in the meantime. Crazy But thanks for sharing these comments, it's nice to read the positive impression, so I have something to look forward to eventually.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 2:14pm

Post #9 of 42 (2983 views)
Shortcut
Outlander, ITS, Jack Ryan & Rise of the Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

On the ComicCon front, most excited about "Into the Storm" followed immediately by "Outlander" - oh, and that other movie in DecemberTongue

As for what I watched, finally caught the "Jack Ryan" reboot, and if you're familiar with Clancy/Jack Ryan storylines, I think you'll like it. The plot was way more intelligent than the movie Ben Afflec did several years ago, it made alot of sense. It goes back to Jack Ryan joining the Marines, but moved forward to 9/11. He's injured in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, meets his future wife while recovering. Kiera Knightly does a real decent American accent here.

But I think I liked "Rise of the Fellowship" best (available on Netflix). It's more of an homage to LoTR than a spoof movie. Now, it's also at the low end of low budget, and nobody can really act, BUT I thought it had more heart than anything I've seen in a long time. And it fits in well with ComicCon!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 5:01pm

Post #10 of 42 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock: The Sign of Three [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been meh about the first two episodes of Sherlock's season 3. But I thought Sign of Three was brilliant. Funny and clever and moving... I cried twice and some cries spanned a few beats. I thought both Freeman and Cumberbatch were fantastic and I thought their friendship enhanced their scenes together.

mild spoiler - not for plot, necessarily - but just for the moment itself ... highlight to read >>> I loved the easter egg reference to Hitchhiker's Guide: "Don't Panic".<<<<<

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 9:06pm

Post #11 of 42 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Ski Hidden Valley [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a little documentary of interest probably only to people from northern Colorado, but that's what I watched this week. Uncle Baggins and I ran into this guy one day when we were walking on Trail Ridge Road (it was closed for the winter), and he told us he was making this movie about the old ski resort at Hidden Valley in Rocky Mountain National Park. I remembered as a kid ice skating at the pond there, and watching the skiers while we drank cocoa at the lodge.

The place closed in 1991. The lodge stayed in place for many years as a kind of ghost building, and the place became a picnic area and winter tobogganing area. They took out the lodge a few years ago, and plowed up most of the parking lot and planted wildflowers there. (The swingset scene from the TV version of The Shining was filmed in that parking lot, by the way.)

So anyway, when the DVD was finished we bought a copy. There's lots of interesting history I didn't know, and footage of people skiing there, including hot shots who became professional skiers later. The interviewees are pretty bitter, and blame the park service and the town for closing the place down. I don't really have an opinion on that. I'm not a skier, and the place is a lovely picnic spot. According to the video, people still ski there, but they have to hike up the mountain to do it. It's not maintained, and trees have grown up in the ski runs, so it looks dangerous to me.

Reasons given for its closing were the drought, the fact that snowmaking took water away from the wetlands, and new roads to ski resorts farther south made it possible for locals to find an alternative.

One fun moment was when they were interviewing the man who had been the park superintendent when the place closed, and Uncle Baggins said, "Hey, I know that guy! He's in my model railroad club." You get that sometimes with local documentaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 28 2014, 9:08pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2014, 10:50pm

Post #12 of 42 (2958 views)
Shortcut
12 Years a Slave. (Finally.) [In reply to] Can't Post

Procrastinated about seeing this for months. Finally buckled down and watched it.

Plenty of superlatives have been heaped on this movie which I won't bother repeating other than to say I think the movie is deserving of them. It left me feeling heartsick but more than anything, angry. And in a movie full of hateful characters, surprisingly (or no), the one I absolutely despised was the one played by BC, Master Ford. Though he clearly had compassion for slaves and a conscience, he also had no backbone. Not quite a hypocrite but cowardly. I found I could not forgive him for that.

Michael Fassbender's plantation owner, Epps, was presented as the movie's Big Bad and while I don't excuse any of the inhumanity he inflicted on his "property," he was also a drunk with mental issues. He could not help what he was. Ford, though, had it within his power to do so something other than just look the other way.

As an aside, I think I'm turning into a Fassy. I've only seen him in a few movies, but he's always absolutely riveting.

Other than that, the only thing I've been paying attention to are Comic Con reports and patiently awaiting the debut of BOTFA's teaser. Oh, happy day!!!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:57am

Post #13 of 42 (2950 views)
Shortcut
The Brothers Gibb [In reply to] Can't Post

Too Much heaven 1979

Nobody gets too much Heaven no more
It's much harder to come by, I'm waitin' in line
Nobody gets too much love anymore
It's as high as a mountain and harder to climb

Oh, you and me, girl, got a lot of love in store
And it flows through you and it flows through me
And I love you so much more than my life

I can see beyond forever
Everything we are will never die
Loving's such a beautiful thing
Oh, you make my world a summer day
Are you just a dream to fade away?

You and me, girl, got a highway to the sky
We can turn away from the night and day
And the tears we had to cry

You're my life, I can see a new tomorrow
Everything we are will never die
Loving's such a beautiful thing
When you are to me the light above
Made for all to see our precious love

Oh, oh, lovings such a beautiful thing
You make my world a summer day
Are you just a dream to fade away?

It's as wide as a river and harder to cross

It's as high as a mountain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songwriters
GIBB, BARRY ALAN/GIBB, MAURICE ERNEST/GIBB, ROBIN HUGH

Read more: Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven Lyrics | MetroLyrics

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 6:56am

Post #14 of 42 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Upcoming movie (This week in fact)... Gaurdians of the Galaxy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty excited for this one.

I'm seeing it this Thursday with a friend.

I've heard nothing but great things.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 1:52pm

Post #15 of 42 (2936 views)
Shortcut
I do have one very good thing to say about this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Scarlett Johansson, particularly at the beginning of the movie. I'm becoming a real fan, and I've kind of reached the point where I'm willing to go see a movie just because she's in it.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 1:59pm

Post #16 of 42 (2928 views)
Shortcut
the preview looked like fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy, so the talking raccoon was a bit of a shock Smile but I like action/adventure movies that have a sense of humor, so I'll probably check it out.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 2:05pm

Post #17 of 42 (2932 views)
Shortcut
I watched "Third Star" with Benedict Cumberbatch last night [In reply to] Can't Post

BC plays a young man with cancer on a sort of "road trip" with friends. It had some very nice moments, humor, drama, and some moments that were very painful to watch, and BC was excellent as always, as were the other actors. Not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was pretty good.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 3:02pm

Post #18 of 42 (2926 views)
Shortcut
also, "Lucy" beat "Hercules" at the box office [In reply to] Can't Post

so much for those movie moguls who keep insisting that a heroine-led movie won't sell as well as a hero-led movie.

I agree about Scarlett. She's on my "can do no wrong" list." I appreciate that she hasn't traded on her face & body and gone the route of, say, Katherine Heigl, but keeps challenging herself in different roles.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 4:24pm

Post #19 of 42 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Red River [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a huge Western fan, but I watched this on TMC a while back. Probably one of John Wayne's finest movies and truly a Western of the making I have not seen in years.

While I'm at it, I also recently watched the light-hearted Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). A spectacular cast spinning a classic tale. Errol Flynn, what might have been...

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 1:05am

Post #20 of 42 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Lucy [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting a little more scientific plausibility, but apparently if you're smart enough, you can make your own laws of science. If I watched it again, I might try to make a drinking game out of references and allusions to 2001. ScarJo was very good; I would probably have skipped Lucy except that I want her to have such a big success that Marvel finally decides to make a Black Widow movie.
"My god, it's full of stars."

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 2:17am

Post #21 of 42 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Buzz: Warner Bros. has optioned Dragonriders Of Pern. [In reply to] Can't Post

On an endless search to find big-scale fantasy books that lend themselves to global franchises, Warner Bros has optioned the Pern book series from the estate of American-Irish author Anne McCaffrey.

The series option deal comes as the studio searches keenly for another big franchise; this one could launch an entire merchandising and licensing product line. Just as important, it could be the fantasy the studio craves after Warner Bros rode Harry Potter into The Hobbit, which winds down later this year as Peter Jackson completes the final installment of the trilogy with The Battle Of The Five Armies, complete with its own fire-breathing dragon Smaug.

http://www.deadline.com/...of-pern-book-series/

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2014, 2:42am

Post #22 of 42 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Fingers-crossed this comes off well. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 2:43am

Post #23 of 42 (2907 views)
Shortcut
There's so much possibility... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for both wonderful stuff and getting it all wrong.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 3:38am

Post #24 of 42 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Time Scanners: Petra [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating show, revealing data that suggests Petra was carved from the top down. In itself, great show; but of course all I could think of afterwards were Dwarves carving Moria and Erebor and how carving down makes much more sense than carving 'up' with ladders and the like.
Great program in any case.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 3:47am

Post #25 of 42 (2914 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Jena Malone for Lessa?

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.