Where art dwarves/Bilbo at SDCC and press? A little retrospective
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 9:18pm

Post #1 of 35 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Where art dwarves/Bilbo at SDCC and press? A little retrospective Can't Post

It's natural for the frenzy over the new to roll like ocean waves on a beach over the old, but hearing about the formal PJ & co. panel (again great job TORn w. the rolling posts!!!! Thanks again!)Smile I felt a wave of wistfulness.
Because for me there was this whiff of "this is feeling more like an LOTR reunion than the Hobbit" or something like that. Partly triggered by evidently the re-use of an LOTR song. Which I happen to love, but funnily that week I had tripped over the "Last of the Mohicans" the Gael on You-Tube, and had been thinking something like that would be appropriate for the dwarves - something slow and sad but full of courage too. So I've got mixed feelings there. Unsure

The other wistfulness was I remember when all the frenzy was over the dwarves, a whole press conference of Bilbo and the dwarvesHeart. In the end I lost my heart to these guys, much more so than I did for most things in LOTR, which I love, everyone loves, and yet it often seems so distant when I watch - except for SOME key scenes. This is PJ's and company's movie and if he wants to emphasize the connection to LOTR I guess a lot of folks like that, but for the Hobbit it was never anything I personally needed - Bilbo, Gandalf, the Ring were enough.

In the end there may be as much dwarf action as my *cough* hair-freak heart can handle, and it sure isn't anyone's fault that actors have commitments that very properly keep them committed to the job they are on at the time. But I thought I'd put up some images of these guys that I've been on a journey withHeart.

This was a big moment for me - meant more than seeing the "original" Bilbo again tho the cameos were nice - the first shot of Bilbo!!!!HeartHeartHeart. And it's perfect.HeartHeartHeart

How I loved seeing one of my favorite parts of the book brought to life - no matter how many times I hear it, Gandalf's "what do you mean" inquiry still makes me laughHeart

Dwarves raiding the pantry and adorable dwarves on the doorstep... Heart

Dwarves singing!Cool

# Yes, Bilbo, that's #MAJESTY in the house HeartHeartHeart

Okay, this scene with Balin was the final nail for me re Thorin. I'd have crawled to Erebor if he asked. And the Misty Mountains scene is IMO one the most beautiful ever filmed.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

The fire of Thorin and the desperate courage of Bilbo HeartHeartHeart

Dwarves in barrels - looks like BOFA isn't going to have any whimsy like this, but this always makes me smile HeartHeartHeart

Love this moment too - "you will burn"....but for a moment all had weapons ready before common sense took over....Cool

For me it's about these guys Heart

And this. HeartHeartHeart

Not that I won't be parked at a computer tomorrow *grins*.EvilCool.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 27 2014, 9:24pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 9:25pm

Post #2 of 35 (1105 views)
Shortcut
This cheered me up for some reason [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting. The dwarves are afterall... our heroes! Wink

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 9:26pm

Post #3 of 35 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, I don't feel like I know the majority of the Dwarves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like I did with the Fellowship, and with 3 films, that shouldn't be the case. So yeah, I hope for more fleshing out of the Dwarves in the next film (except for Kili, who I'm not a fan of).

delius82
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 35 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this post.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will always cherish those moments from AUJ as my favorite scenes from the Trilogy thus far, I feel there's so much more 'love' in this trilogy and the company of Thorin Oakenshield feels so much more like a "Fellowship" than the actual 'Fellowship' in FOTR.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 9:44pm

Post #5 of 35 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there are people who do not think the dwarves are really fleshed out. For me, it totally worked and I really do feel I know them. Of course, via the extensive documentaries I know more than the average audience... maybe it is because of this.

But for me it all comes together beautifully.

Funnily, I just watched some AUJ documentaries... including the first shooting days in Bag-End, with all these guys together for the first time. And Ian McKellen having his Green-screen hell (which weirdly has become for some a synonym for what is wrong with these movies - but when you watch that episode in the extras to the end you can actually see that it turned out to be about all that is right with that production. Ian McKellen certainly seemed to feel like that "On a Peter Jackson production with a Peter Jackson crew you simply feel like you belong.")

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 27 2014, 9:47pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 9:48pm

Post #6 of 35 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Gald you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will always cherish those moments from AUJ as my favorite scenes from the Trilogy thus far, I feel there's so much more 'love' in this trilogy and the company of Thorin Oakenshield feels so much more like a "Fellowship" than the actual 'Fellowship' in FOTR.

Agree - there's something there that for me was never in LOTR - love, or something that makes me really care about Thorin, MF's Bilbo, and these dwarves.

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 35 (1066 views)
Shortcut
They made Sir Ian cry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, everyone got through itCool. Just find it remarkable that so much superb acting was done with, as RA said recently - something like a lozenge hanging from a string. Or tennis balls.

I feel as though AUJ was successful in that I "got" what the dwarf personalities were like - but for me it will never, ever be enough.HeartHeartHeart

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:29pm

Post #8 of 35 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting these lovely pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

Never enough for me, either – especially of Thorin…

In Reply To
I feel as though AUJ was successful in that I "got" what the dwarf personalities were like - but for me it will never, ever be enough.HeartHeartHeart

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 27 2014, 10:30pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 35 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Another lovely post, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

If your post were a song, I'd put it on repeat.Smile

Long live The Hobbit trilogy!

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 10:46pm

Post #10 of 35 (1016 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome and one day [In reply to] Can't Post

I will post a whole bunch of my favorite Thorin stuff, 'coz I know the resizing and formatting can be tedious. Tho dealing with Thorin is much less a chore than some others.CoolTongue

Remarkably this one is actually digital art, not a photo!

(Beautiful but oversized picture removed - Ataahua.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 27 2014, 11:31pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:52pm

Post #11 of 35 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that is wonderful, Avandel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has made my day, and thank you so much for posting it…

The eyes and mane of hair look especially good in this one. HeartSmile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 27 2014, 10:54pm)

Name
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 10:53pm

Post #12 of 35 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Lol that's a little scary [In reply to] Can't Post

Both the picture and the fact that it isn't real. Laugh

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:00pm

Post #13 of 35 (998 views)
Shortcut
Thank you *bows deeply* and Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Long live The Hobbit trilogy!

Aye! And I continue to cherish the words of wisdom you posted Heart- it will be dark. But gloriously so. Because I need stuff to hang onto while I'm grieving. Gotta remember that which is dead will never die, and Thorin wouldn't BE Thorin if wasn't the kind of guy who'd take on an 8-foot orc on a giant warg head-on. (And it's just boxes of tissues I'll be shredding, right?)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:03pm

Post #14 of 35 (992 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the original is off Deviant art under that artist, for a more high-res version. Her work is remarkable (sorry I know Deviant Art has some eyebrow raising stuff but there are some gems there!)

Can't believe the work with the eyes!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:22pm

Post #15 of 35 (980 views)
Shortcut
*grins* [In reply to] Can't Post

but IMO beautiful - that whole scene is beautiful HeartHeartHeart

But here we go - better?:

I'm gonna stop now as my Thorinitis is kicking up....CoolWinkEvil

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 35 (973 views)
Shortcut
ooops - sad - but reposted [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like my first try was too large - but a repost. Because there's no such thing as too much Thorin. Credit: Deviant Art artists.SmileTongue

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 12:43am

Post #17 of 35 (970 views)
Shortcut
Cos Dwalin didn't bust out them knuckle-dusters to make attendance? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tis strange times indeed, only the tattooed one was there to represent the whole Company. Tongue

Nice post btw Smile

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2014, 12:49am

Post #18 of 35 (952 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a beautifully evocative photo of him. Heart Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 1:43am

Post #19 of 35 (929 views)
Shortcut
And it's digital art - not a photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW sorry about the first oversize - too trailer excited!!!TongueHeart

Tho I am not sure what digital art means exactly, but in this case I think the artist drew this image re a tablet or other. At some I will have to check DA as she as done some other stuff - it's remarkable work.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 1:52am

Post #20 of 35 (938 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish was there I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously they should have interviewed him - GM always gives great interviews. Tho could be a lot of things - commitments, tired of doing cons as the dwarves have been a other cons this year, being told to let the elves and other cast have some spotlight, *cough* bigger stars tho I hate that kind of thing Mad (considering the acting credentials the dwarves have) , travel distance.

Also as BOFA approaches I figure folks like MF and RA will make more appearances, so hopefully that will include the dwarf cast, since that is the Company. 13 dwarves and a halfling.Heart

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 2:06am

Post #21 of 35 (930 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the Company will prolly be on a mad ride as Dec nears eh [In reply to] Can't Post

... though I guess it's also fair to say, there are those I would love to see get more spotlight than who the powers that be keep shoving on the public TongueFrown

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Kim
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 2:59am

Post #22 of 35 (914 views)
Shortcut
You and I are on the same page today Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, we usually are. Tongue Feeling the need for my happy place after all the waves of new stuff, so am currently watching AUJ. EvilHeart

Thanks once again for braving the wilds of Deviant Art to find that great Thorin artwork. Smile

Steeling myself for what's to come. But yes, my calendar is marked for noon tomorrow.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 12:31pm

Post #23 of 35 (842 views)
Shortcut
Nice one Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 12:45pm

Post #24 of 35 (842 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

But quote from someplace - the teaser doesn't show that much. I don't know that it won't be hard to watch, but think it will be OK. For now.UnsureUnsureUnsure

PS. Yes, Deviant Art is much like a stroll through Mirkwood, and sometimes I just want to take a shower afterward - but there are gems there. If you are brave enoughWink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 12:50pm

Post #25 of 35 (835 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! *bows* [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I am going to suck in my teaser excitement. SOMEHOWWink.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhh!!!!!!!!!Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.