Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There are gems in the mountain I too desire- Thranduil´s ayes sparkle and glitter when he says "desire"

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 7:10pm

Post #1 of 12 (562 views)
Shortcut
There are gems in the mountain I too desire- Thranduil´s ayes sparkle and glitter when he says "desire" Can't Post

I love this detail

check it in HD

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 7:12pm

Post #2 of 12 (366 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they did something similar with his eyes than they did with Galadriel in FotR (though I wonder whether they still used christmas lights to do it ;) ).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:07pm

Post #3 of 12 (300 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first watched DOS in the theathre my first thought was that those sparkles were CGI and I didn't like it. There's too much CGI already XD but it was a nice detail and hopefully I am wrong and it is not CGI...

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 8:11pm

Post #4 of 12 (304 views)
Shortcut
If you can't tell... [In reply to] Can't Post

... isn't it irrelvant then whether it is CGI or not? Surely CGI cannot be bad "just because" unless you find it looks bad, right?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:32pm

Post #5 of 12 (272 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but [In reply to] Can't Post

My first reaction to it was: Oh, that's CGI! And that's a bad thing IMO Crazy I like the thought of it, just not the execution.

Name
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 12 (240 views)
Shortcut
Is that the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Where Galadriel was talking to Aragorn? When she says "rise above" her face glows, and when she says "fall in darkness," her face darkens. Love that little touch. I didn't know it was done with Christmas lights though.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 10:43pm

Post #7 of 12 (221 views)
Shortcut
I believe the scene referred to is this one [In reply to] Can't Post

is this one:

When the Fellowship first arrives in Lothlorien and she is speaking to each of them. Note the tiny sparkly lights in her eyes.

Name
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 10:46pm

Post #8 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok that makes more sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very cool effect!

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 11:55pm

Post #9 of 12 (196 views)
Shortcut
It was :)! A bit more detail here -- [In reply to] Can't Post

The film team discussed the technique in the FOTR EE Appendices. Below is a snip from one of our LOTR Movie board discussions on the film appendices from a few years ago:

Andrew Lesnie felt that Galadriel was the character most connected with the spiritual world and he wanted to represent that somehow - and took his cue from Tolkien who wrote of "the depth of her eyes" with starlight and memory. Lesnie and chief lighting technician Brian Bansgate came up with the Galadriel light: Christmas tree lights festooned on a rig to reflect into Cate Blanchett's eyes. Lesnie: "A lot of performance is in the eyes, and I wanted her hightlights to be different from everyone else's in the film."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 12:51am

Post #10 of 12 (192 views)
Shortcut
White gems sparkle screenshots [In reply to] Can't Post

For ref, initial sparkle to full sparkle. I think it was well-done! It took someone mentioning before I even realise there was really a sparkle in his eyes, not just them appearing unusually twinkly with rapture. From this page of the screencaps page.

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 2:47am

Post #11 of 12 (164 views)
Shortcut
Must go back to watch the sparkle [In reply to] Can't Post

Now have a good reason to watch Thranduil in detail, need to see his sparkle!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 12:44pm

Post #12 of 12 (116 views)
Shortcut
Great reason! And it does warrant close analysis... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I mean his eyesparkle is so nuanced I'm sure you'll have to scrutinise the frames a few times to fully appreciate both the magnificence of Thranduil and the movie magic employed to create the sparkle so artfully to fit the Elvenking as he speaks.HeartHeart Smile

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.