Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who will be the one who rescues Gandalf ?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:26am

Post #1 of 31 (977 views)
Shortcut
Who will be the one who rescues Gandalf ? Can't Post

Any thoughts on that or hopes ?

Personally, i´d like to see Radagast getting him out of the cage. Since both started the whole Dol Guldur investigations it would be a qwuite good fitting. Later on, they are joined by the White Council when it almost appears, that its to late...

Or, will even Gandalf save himself from the cage ?..

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 27 2014, 8:27am)

boldog
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:30am

Post #2 of 31 (700 views)
Shortcut
I think it is being built up....... [In reply to] Can't Post

......... for Galadriel to be the one who saves Gandalf.

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:32am

Post #3 of 31 (662 views)
Shortcut
probably [In reply to] Can't Post

but since they established Radagast as his "companion" i really hope he gets a decent role in this movie.

boldog
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:39am

Post #4 of 31 (653 views)
Shortcut
I dont know now [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a great lack of information about him for the next film. I want to see more of him for sure! But why would they leave him out of that Dol Guldur pic? Im hoping he will be in this next trailer, so we may get some idea of what he may be up to

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:49am

Post #5 of 31 (619 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

he has to be involved somehow. At least, he is going to report that Gandalf has entered Dol Guldur alone.

Cant imagine him sitting on his bunny sled, having some popcorn while watching the White Council taking on the action against the Necromancer. It the end, he is giving his staff to Gandalf like "here,take it....seen enough of this"
Crazy

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 27 2014, 8:50am)

davidjUK
Bree

Jul 27 2014, 8:58am

Post #6 of 31 (617 views)
Shortcut
I think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Galadriel.

First of all, she said "If you ever need my help, I shall come" in AUJ, and about that line, Phillipa Boyens said it was a "great set up".

Snippets of information we've had from the teaser indicate she has a role in rescuing him.

I've just noticed as well, on a separate note, in an interview with Benedict Cumberbatch, he talks about his motion capture and he says:

"It's only by seeing the films I get to see how I did in the scene with Cate Blanchett for example". So Galadriel does come face to face with Sauron? I wonder if they communicate, or battle, or both!?

December 12th, PLEASE hurry up.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 9:09am

Post #7 of 31 (618 views)
Shortcut
I think it is almost certain to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Galadriel will be the one who "saves" Gandalf. But of course the White Council will help.

I agree, I want Radagast to have some larger part or function, because IMO he has not done that much in these movies so far. I doubt he will die. I just hope the end of his story will not be a result of sloppy editing/screenwriting. I feel it's going to happen alot in the third movie and they might push him aside since he is not a fan favourite. (I like him though and hope they end his story properly Heart)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 27 2014, 9:11am

Post #8 of 31 (655 views)
Shortcut
What worries me about all this Galadriel saving Gandalf stuff.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that all those casual filmgoers who keep saying "Gandalf's not a proper wizard" due to his "lack of real magic" and "reliance on the eagles" are most likely going to have a ball with this film. Sure, Gandalf got his chance to show off in AUJ, but even though he had some cool moments in DoS all those aforementioned people are going to remember is that he went into Dol Guldur over his head and got captured, regardless of his impressive battle with Sauron. Now, Gandalf will undoubtedly be rescued from his cage by Galadriel, and, by the looks of things, he will be saved by Galadriel *again* after being wounded in the battle, which means that, unless he does something in this final film that lives up to "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!", then many more may continue to deride the great wizard as being useless, which is, of course, a fallacious thing to even suggest. If Galadriel is seen to be the hero of this battle, then I'm sure all sorts of other questions will be asked by casual movie fans regarding her less active role in the LotR films. Needless to say most of us here know better.
As somebody who is massively excited about the Dol Guldur story, this is my chief and only real concern-I just need to feel that Gandalf has had his last chance to show off in this final instalment. If AinurOlorin is out there I think he would most likely agree with most of what I've said here.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 9:21am

Post #9 of 31 (588 views)
Shortcut
would be good for the character [In reply to] Can't Post

if the writers give him another "big" moment, like taking on another Nazgul. If he then leaves to report Beorn about what happened at Dol Guldur i would be fine with his character-line.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 10:13am

Post #10 of 31 (591 views)
Shortcut
THERE are two elements of "The Dol Guldur Mission"..missing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Tauriel mentioned that
"the Big Spiders are breeding there...?"
So where are they?

2. Mirkwood is Raddy's Territory
so, will HE..call upon the Woods
& it's Animals to
help take down this
"Abandoned Fortress?"

Jus' some Plot points
Speculated today..

BY.."BOMB..zz AWAY"?
Crazy

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jul 27 2014, 11:28am

Post #11 of 31 (571 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf-Galadriel is totally the OTP of the films [In reply to] Can't Post

Search your feelings ... you know it to be true.

:D

:>

o:)

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 27 2014, 12:38pm

Post #12 of 31 (517 views)
Shortcut
Which is why Celeborn was so eager to speak with Gandalf in FotR...// [In reply to] Can't Post

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jul 27 2014, 12:42pm

Post #13 of 31 (503 views)
Shortcut
+1! :> [In reply to] Can't Post

Notice that he's not at DG too. Gala obviously fobbed him off with some eloquent excuse.

"Going to Moria for the week ... you hate Moria ... why not stay behind and keep all those silvan elves in line?"

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 2:05pm

Post #14 of 31 (492 views)
Shortcut
I'm out here, my friend. Sometimes anyway. lol. And I do agree. I am heartened by [In reply to] Can't Post

the banner, though. It looks like Galadriel is in a prostate, imperiled position also. It looks like they will both have a hard time of it, but Saruman will turn the tide. I am good with that. I still hope Gandalf does at least one thing with blue flame (other than the last boulder break of AUJ, which I really enjoyed), and hopefully faces down the Nazgul successfully, and conjures up some spectacular in the Battle of Five Armies. My larger concern though, now that he has at least shown forth some of his power in a way that never really happened in the Rings movies, was him being completely shown up by another, particularly by any of the Elves. If everyone is seen to struggle, that is well and proper.

In Reply To
Is that all those casual filmgoers who keep saying "Gandalf's not a proper wizard" due to his "lack of real magic" and "reliance on the eagles" are most likely going to have a ball with this film. Sure, Gandalf got his chance to show off in AUJ, but even though he had some cool moments in DoS all those aforementioned people are going to remember is that he went into Dol Guldur over his head and got captured, regardless of his impressive battle with Sauron. Now, Gandalf will undoubtedly be rescued from his cage by Galadriel, and, by the looks of things, he will be saved by Galadriel *again* after being wounded in the battle, which means that, unless he does something in this final film that lives up to "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!", then many more may continue to deride the great wizard as being useless, which is, of course, a fallacious thing to even suggest. If Galadriel is seen to be the hero of this battle, then I'm sure all sorts of other questions will be asked by casual movie fans regarding her less active role in the LotR films. Needless to say most of us here know better.
As somebody who is massively excited about the Dol Guldur story, this is my chief and only real concern-I just need to feel that Gandalf has had his last chance to show off in this final instalment. If AinurOlorin is out there I think he would most likely agree with most of what I've said here.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 3:47pm

Post #15 of 31 (451 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks to me like Galadriel is going to save Gandalf on the battlefield, although who gets him out of the birdcage is anyone's guess. I'm fine with her coming to his aid.

Anyway, judging by Cate Blanchett's comments from that panel video, there will be some kind of confrontation between Galadriel and Sauron, although one hopes that Galadriel is not shown to beat back Sauron by herself while Gandalf could not. If it's a combined effort on the part of the WC, then fine. But once again I agree with Radagast-Aiwendil and AO (nice to see the two of you back in action BTW), Galadriel succeeding where Gandalf could not would really make Gandalf look weaker than he should. I will say that the picture shown in the collage, with Galadriel aiding Gandalf and Elrond and Saruman in the background, looks quite encouraging though. And it'd be nice if Radagast played some role too.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 27 2014, 3:48pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 3:54pm

Post #16 of 31 (444 views)
Shortcut
Radagast and Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

The two are supposed to be friends; it would make sense to show them working together to rescue Gandalf. Lady Galadriel can heal him after he is freed.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 4:00pm

Post #17 of 31 (430 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that in the banner, it looks more like Gandalf is helping Galadriel or both are reaching each other more than she helping him there, and yes, I really hope that they will show Gandalf having a confrontation where he can show his powers.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 6:15pm

Post #18 of 31 (407 views)
Shortcut
On the wrap-around banner in Hall H [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf is lying unconscious on the pavement below the cage. Galadriel is also lying on the pavement but reaching out to Gandalf. Elrond is visible beyond then, and behind him is Saruman. No sign of Radagast in Dol Guldur.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 6:35pm

Post #19 of 31 (389 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

he has already...past ?....

Finrod
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 6:54pm

Post #20 of 31 (429 views)
Shortcut
The Missing Maia: Curunír to the Rescue [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the Grey Wizard found he could not fight fire with Fire, surely an important lesson for him. Yet what of Water and Air?

What Gandalf the Grey alone himself could not manage despite his earlier studies as a Maia under Irmo and Nienna even while he had Narya the Great, the Ring of Fire, at his command, surely the league of the remaining White Council as a whole can now achieve, at least so long as the One remains lost to the Enemy.

Do not underestimate the combined forces of these immortals:
  1. Saruman the White, cunning head of the Order of the Istari and who as a Maia was like the Enemy the erstwhile student of Aulë, the one Istar who had longest studied the arts of the Enemy who was now before him.
  2. Radagast the Brown, Gandalf’s own good cousin, who as a Maia was the student of Yavanna and perhaps Oromë, and who counted amongst his friends not only Beorn the skinchanger but all creatures great and small — a category which includes Manwë’s representatives and eyes, the Great Eagles. Like his grey cousin, the Brown Wizard is more than he appears.
  3. The Lady Galadriel of the Golden House of Finarfin, Lady of Lórien, she who was born before the Sun and the Moon lo these uncountably many years ago under the unstained light of the Two Trees and who was later protégée in Doriath of Melian the Maia, with Nenya the sapphire Ring of Adamant at her command, the Ring whose domain is Water — water which is the realm of Ulmo, the one Vala who never abandoned the Noldor even in Exile.
  4. Elrond Halfelven, Eärendil’s son the Loremaster of Rivendell, scion of kings from all three Houses of the Eldar, descendant of Lúthien the Half-divine and the master of Vilya, greatest of the Three, the Ring of Air — air, which is not only the domain of the Elder King himself, Manwë the Farseeing, but which is also where his father Eärendil keeps eternal vigil, guided by a light higher and more pure than the Enemy can in his depraved state now imagine. Elrond was there amongst the Host of the Valar when his father slew Alcalagon whose fall broke Thangorodrim. He knows what is at stake here.
The White Wizard will make more difference than many here have yet credited. Have we already forgotten what Sir Christopher revealed to us? He said that there would be a lot of him in the third movie, and that he would be shown as a mighty force for good not evil.

The traditional greeting of the Eldar, Elen sila lumenna omentielvo, will never be more fitting than at this meeting, for the Lady will bring with her the light of Eärendil’s star, which is nothing less than that perfect light preserved from before the Master of Arda poisoned that light forever. That light is the light not just of “hope” as we call it but estel, the promise of Arda Remade.

Not only that, but the Lady will also bring with her Eärendil’s own son, the battle-hardened herald of Gil-galad, who was the last King of the Noldor on these hither shores and the former master of Vilya. Neither should you forget that Master Elrond has battled this Enemy before — and, unlike his master, survived that terrible battle (thanks to his nephew, Isildur).

Against all these assembled together, the Liar in his weakened state stands no chance: the Black Wizard will fall before them so that he might retreat to save himself and muster the armies he needs and does not yet have.

Then using the arts she learned in Doriath, the Lady of Lórien will throw down the walls of Dol Guldur and cleanse its dungeons as Lúthien had herself done two long ages of the world ago. This Tolkien himself wrote of and so we know it is true, even if in the books it was to wait until the Last Battle.

Then the Lady will heal Mithrandir as she shall later do upon his return from beyond the circles of the world. At which point, though still weakened, Gandalf will fly like the wind on Beorn’s best horse to Erebor and turn the embittered Free Peoples from each other’s throats just in time before the Enemy’s armies should take them unaware.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on Jul 27 2014, 6:55pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 7:26pm

Post #21 of 31 (364 views)
Shortcut
That is my worry, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel should not be shown to be able to overcome even a weakened Sauron where a Maia could not... I'd like to see the council of the Wise working together, but even so, should they actually drive The Necromancer out of DG, as it says in The Hobbit, (written when JRRT did not yet know the Necromancer was indeed Sauron) or should whatever they battle actually be a "phantom" , set up as a feint by an already departed Dark Lord to match the later writings? The latter would be my choice...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 7:28pm

Post #22 of 31 (364 views)
Shortcut
Set photos and videoblogs [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a recent videoblog in which Radagast and Gandalf were mounting or dismounting the bunny sled inside Dol Guldur itself (how Raddy managed to get it across that narrow bridge is anyone's guess).

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Finrod
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 7:58pm

Post #23 of 31 (348 views)
Shortcut
The Black Wizard was always Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Galadriel should not be shown to be able to overcome even a weakened Sauron where a Maia could not... I'd like to see the council of the Wise working together, but even so, should they actually drive The Necromancer out of DG, as it says in The Hobbit, (written when JRRT did not yet know the Necromancer was indeed Sauron) —

Stop right there. This is simply false. Your theory is thoroughly debunked in The History of the Hobbit.

The Necromancer was always Sauron in Tolkien’s mind right from the very beginning. He has notes about the apparent contradiction between the current existence of Dol Guldur and the fact that Lúthien had already destroyed Sauron’s tower.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 8:13pm

Post #24 of 31 (332 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf does mention in "The Council of Elrond" that it was through the "devices of Saruman" that they were able to drive the Necromancer from Dol Guldur, so anything along those lines would be fine by me. Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 8:27pm

Post #25 of 31 (328 views)
Shortcut
There is no contradiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Necromancer was always Sauron in Tolkien’s mind right from the very beginning. He has notes about the apparent contradiction between the current existence of Dol Guldur and the fact that Lúthien had already destroyed Sauron’s tower.

That isn't really a contradiction. Sauron's tower of Tol-in-Gaurhoth is not the same as Dol Guldur, and Taur-nu-Fuin is not Mirkwood, being in Beleriand which is no more. However, you are correct. Tolkien already intended the Necromancer to be the same being who had long ago imprisoned Finrod and Beren on the Island of Werewolves, even if he had not yet coined the name Sauron.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.