Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Poll: Which Lord of the Rings BOOK character would be good for FILMS?

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 26 2014, 5:11pm

Post #1 of 22 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Poll: Which Lord of the Rings BOOK character would be good for FILMS? Can't Post

Hello, new blood here! Smile
I am one of the poll makers on the IMDb movie site, and all of my polls (for now) have been inspired by the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien.

(forgive me, but I have also posted this same thread in the Movies section on this site, since this thing concerns both films and books).

However, my favorite poll was actually my very first poll, and I am always interested to hear peoples' opinions about it.
Take a look at it, vote and comment here, if you will.
Here is the poll:
Which Lord of the Rings BOOK character would have been an interesting addition to the movie adaptations?

Cheers! Wink

Hm, hom!

(This post was edited by Drvobradi on Jul 26 2014, 5:14pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 10:32pm

Post #2 of 22 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Interesting choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

I REALLY like Sam Worthington and his son! Berigil and Beregond were two of my favorite characters that I wished were included. Also Ben Hawkey is great! However I think Harry Lloyd would make a better Glorfindel. Great job and welcome to TOrn!Smile

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 10:44pm

Post #3 of 22 (2056 views)
Shortcut
I voted on all of your polls by the way except the fandom one. I just couldn't choose! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 12:57am

Post #4 of 22 (2036 views)
Shortcut
i'm confused a bit by your poll [In reply to] Can't Post

.... you offer billy boyd / dom m. for the role of quickbeam, but both already have roles in the lord of the rings.

fwiw, i think only a few of these are actors of the caliber that would fit in with the fine ensemble cast of the existing lord of the rings (although many of them have lovely visages, and would certainly look their parts)..

given the choices, i would +love+ to have seen eileen atkins as ioreth. aside from adding a superb thespian, i would have loved to see more female roles in lotr. she's my vote.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 12:58am

Post #5 of 22 (2028 views)
Shortcut
mae govannen : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen, btw. : ) welcome.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 7:46am

Post #6 of 22 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Actors are there just for the image... [In reply to] Can't Post

@Maciliel

Thank you for your kind words, Elf-friend! Wink

you offer billy boyd / dom m. for the role of quickbeam, but both already have roles in the lord of the rings.
fwiw, i think only a few of these are actors of the caliber that would fit in with the fine ensemble cast of the existing lord of the rings (although many of them have lovely visages, and would certainly look their parts)..
given the choices, i would +love+ to have seen eileen atkins as ioreth. aside from adding a superb thespian, i would have loved to see more female roles in lotr. she's my vote.

Oh, no, no, no... I might have created a confusion.
You see, if you read the opening of my poll, it says:
Please vote based on the short info written beneath each name, not based on which actor is on the image.

I really should have noted that in my first post here... you see, when you are making a poll on IMDb, you are only allowed to use images from IMDb gallery!
So, when I was making this poll, I had to endlessly scour the galleries of fantasy and history films, in order to find good images.
For example, Gloin and Radagast have their own movie images, but all other character's don't!
That's why I needed to find an image from another film that would represent that character - the actors don't have anything to do with it (Heath Ledger is dead for 6-7 years, after all). Tongue

That means that I'm not suggesting specifically Kevin Costner and Christian Slater for the roles of Elladan and Elrohir (by Eru, they are not even twins!) [:D], but when I searched for an image, I found that picture of two men, in a forest, with bows, so I used them for E&E.

Same thing with Gary Oldman as Elfhelm - I'm not specifically suggesting him for the role, but I needed someone to represent Elfhelm on the picture - some blonde horseman, and I found it, because Gary Oldman in the film Red Riding Hood is just that.

One of the more difficult pictures to find is for Beregond and Bergil.
I needed a picture of a boy and an older man next to him, who are not dressed in a modern way.

As for Merry and Pippin, I've put them only because I couldn't find any picture of a humanoid tree, so I've put them two, looking at the Entmoot, presumably at Quickbeam.

I have to admit it to myself, though, that some of those pictures work pretty well, especially since I needed to know all those movies, in order to know what images I needed to choose. Smile

Hm, hom!

(This post was edited by Drvobradi on Jul 27 2014, 7:53am)

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 7:46am

Post #7 of 22 (2043 views)
Shortcut
It's not really that... [In reply to] Can't Post

@DaughterofLaketown

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, if you read the opening of my poll, it says:
Please vote based on the short info written beneath each name, not based on which actor is on the image.

I really should have noted that in my first post here... you see, when you are making a poll on IMDb, you are only allowed to use images from IMDb gallery!
So, when I was making this poll, I had to endlessly scour the galleries of fantasy and history films, in order to find good images.

That means that I'm not suggesting specifically Heath Ledger as Glorfindel (since he died 6-7 years ago), but that I've found an image of a blond, long-haired warrior of Elvish quality, which I ended up using for Glorfindel, since he doesn't have image of his own (like Gloin, Radagast, etc.).

Same thing with Bombadil - IMDb has no image of that character, so I needed to find someone who looks similar, and ended up chosing Robbie Coltrane from Harry Potter films.

As for the Favorite Fandom Face-off, yeah, well, I really should have put the fifth option: ''I am a fan of all 4 fandoms'', and maybe put a picture of Fantastic Four movie or something like that (to represent the love towards all 4 fandoms).
However, that poll already has 1000+ votes, and the recommendation of IMDb is that polls shouldn't really be changed, when they pass 1000 votes.

But I'm glad you voted in all polls!

Hm, hom!

(This post was edited by Drvobradi on Jul 27 2014, 7:52am)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 12:32pm

Post #8 of 22 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil [In reply to] Can't Post

he's one of my favourite minor characters in the book, and I sorely missed him in the movie because it would have been important to see some important Gondor leaders apart from Denethor and his sons.
And the Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth becomes the governor of the city while Faramir is recovering in the Houses of Healing.
(He will also become the father-in-law of King EomerWink )

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 1:00pm

Post #9 of 22 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Gildor! [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand why he and his fellow travelling elves were left out, but I was fascinated by him in the book.

Second choice: Berigil and Beregond

Third choice: Fredregar "Fatty" Bolger

Fun poll Smile And yes, many of the images you found were pretty spot on considering what you had to work with.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 2:16pm

Post #10 of 22 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil [In reply to] Can't Post

@ Elanor of Rohan

I voted for him too!
Too bad that he didn't even have a cameo in RotK... Unsure

Hm, hom!

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 2:35pm

Post #11 of 22 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

@Zarabia

At least we got to see one of those travelling Elven parties, in the Extended Edition of the Fellowship of the Ring.
It was a surreal, but beautiful scene.

Beregil and Bergol seem to be popular in my poll, and that is good.
Fatty got a surprising amount of votes too.

However, I am disappointed by the number of people who voted for NONE OF THE ABOVE option.
It is because at first, it said:
NONE OF THE ABOVE - I like the trilogy as it is.
That means that people voted for that option because they thought that, if they voted for someone else, they will somehow ''betray'' the film trilogy, which is a silly thing to think.
That's why I later removed that latter part.

I'm glad you had fun with the poll, and I'm glad you like the images!

Hm, hom!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2014, 3:30pm

Post #12 of 22 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Having trouble choosing between [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Glorfindel
2) Imrahil
3) Elladan and Elrohir

These were the characters that I missed in LOTR and would like to have seen. The image of Glorfindel as Frodo saw him is one from the book that has always stayed with me, and the same with Imrahil riding into Minas Tirith with his knights. And I always wanted Elrond's sons and their friendship with Aragorn to make an appearance rather than having Arwen presented as an only child, since that is one of the things that really rounded out his background as having been raised in Rivendell.

And Welcome! Smile

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

(This post was edited by Elarie on Jul 27 2014, 3:31pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 27 2014, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 22 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil is in the movie. He even gets a brief line. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always acceped him as Imrahil when I watched the movie. I just wish he had gotten to do more.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 27 2014, 5:26pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2014, 5:28pm

Post #14 of 22 (1972 views)
Shortcut
It's not just that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In many cases, it seems to me that there were good reasons characters were cut.

For example - Bergil, Imrahil, Ioreth, and hobbits who figure in the "Scouring of the Shire" (Cotton family. Lobelia) are all characters I like in the books, and, theoretically, would enjoy seeing in a film. But they are all characters that would need to be introduced and appear in "Return of the King". There's just no TIME.

Or Glorfindel (a popular choice on these forums, many bemoan his exclusion). However, he does one major thing in FotR. A thing that was given to Arwen - to include him, would mean taking that away from her film character (and she already has very limited time, since in the books she's basically not there, outside the Appendices).

Now, in a 9 film series of LotR... ;)

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 8:07pm

Post #15 of 22 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil-Irolas [In reply to] Can't Post

@DaughterofLaketown

Unfortunately, he is officially credited as Irolas, officer of Gondor .
The confusion about him being Imrahil arose because he was credited as such in the LotR trading card game.

However, he is Irolas, not Imrahil (funny thing, he is very blond, as if he was of Rohirric ancestry).

Hm, hom!

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 8:23pm

Post #16 of 22 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia [In reply to] Can't Post

@arithmancer

Of course - no matter how much I love Imrahil, he wouldn't have a place in Peter Jackson's trilogy.

I also agree concerning Glorfindel - imagine this:
You are watching Fellowship, and you see Frodo being saved from the Nazgul by Glorfindel.
Everyone around him are saying he is the ultimate badass... and then, you see him NOT being selected for the Fellowship of the Ring, because he is too powerful.
And then, you don't see him until the end of the third movie, i.e. Aragorn+Arwen's wedding!
I love him, but he is a wasted character in the books, and he would be wasted in the films too.

As for Lobelia, she appeared in the films, if only for a few seconds (with her husband Otho):

Hm, hom!

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 27 2014, 8:25pm

Post #17 of 22 (1953 views)
Shortcut
ElaElro [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

I think the best thing for the film (my preferences aside) would have been if Elladan and Elrohir have appeared before the Battle of Helm's Deep, instead of Haldir.

Hm, hom!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2014, 12:36am

Post #18 of 22 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, in the EE. But I needed to see her smacking one of Sharky's thugs with her umbrella. HeartCool

Drvobradi
The Shire

Jul 28 2014, 7:08am

Post #19 of 22 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic Four [In reply to] Can't Post

@DaughterofLaketown

Well, thanks to you, I have edited the Fantasy Fandom Face-off poll, for all fans of all four franchises:
http://www.imdb.com/poll/QW7FUu8dllE/
Now you can vote for all 4. Wink

Hm, hom!

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 8:16pm

Post #20 of 22 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Ghân-buri-Ghân [In reply to] Can't Post

Ghân-buri-Ghân was always intriguing to me. Also, he only would've needed a couple minutes of screen time, at the most.
All we needed is Merry saying something like "who is that?", Ghân speaking a word or two to Theoden, a brief glimpse of them moving swiftly through forest paths, and Theoden expressing his gratitude to Ghân-buri-Ghân.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Annael
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 1:55am

Post #21 of 22 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Ioreth [In reply to] Can't Post

All the women in PJ's version are so SERIOUS.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dubulous
Rohan

Aug 3 2014, 8:00am

Post #22 of 22 (1909 views)
Shortcut
Imelda Staunton would have been a great Ioreth // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.