Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Do you have a personal anthem/theme song? (A music thread of sorts)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:30am

Post #26 of 47 (1374 views)
Shortcut
:( it said invalid entry :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I accidentally chopped off a letter when I was cutting and pasting.
If you don't mind, what was it so I can look it up?

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:32am

Post #27 of 47 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Haha! That fits me as well :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:35am

Post #28 of 47 (1370 views)
Shortcut
That's a good one, very anthemic! // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:39am

Post #29 of 47 (1369 views)
Shortcut
I don't know many of these [In reply to] Can't Post

But of the ones I do know, I love. I have a special place in my heart for Rainbow Connection, though. HeartEvil

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 7:40am

Post #30 of 47 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Here you go [In reply to] Can't Post

Brand New Day (Eurythmics)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:40am

Post #31 of 47 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Great choice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:46am

Post #32 of 47 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Thanks yet again, Starling :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:49am

Post #33 of 47 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That's awesome, Annael! // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 7:57am

Post #34 of 47 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful list! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't listen to Vincent all the way through without sobbing. Josh Groben's (spelling? Tongue)version is beautiful though.

And La Vie Boheme reminds me of another song that inspires me: Seasons of Love. Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:00am

Post #35 of 47 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, truly beautiful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:06am

Post #36 of 47 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

But somehow, I can't listen to Wagner, no matter the piece, and not think of Elmer Fudd singing, "kiw de wabbit, kiw de wabbit..."

Sorry, it really is an inspiring piece of music. Smile I'm just a goof Blush

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 8:08am

Post #37 of 47 (1357 views)
Shortcut
I may be useless with photos, [In reply to] Can't Post

but linkies I can do!

Here's another one of mine.
I went through a really bad patch in my 20's when I was very depressed. I knew I was finally coming out of the dark when I was walking home one day and noticed the shape of the trees against the sky, and, for the first time in about two years, actually felt joy. It instantly made me think of this childhood favourite:

I can see Clearly Now
- Johnny Nash.
It's one of those songs with layers.

Now when I look back, I am very grateful for that time, because it taught me a lot of things, and gave me strength that I would really need in years to come.

And here's another one. This is another childhood favourite and reminds me very much of my much missed father, which is one of the reasons I used it at my wedding. The marriage was a disaster but I have reclaimed the song.
Typical New Zealander, always up for a weather related conversation.

Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles. This video has a nice George Harrison tribute.

(This post was edited by Starling on Jul 26 2014, 8:10am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:50am

Post #38 of 47 (1356 views)
Shortcut
I Can See Clearly Now - one of my favorites! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful connection to make. To have a specific moment when you knew you were feeling better and to have a special song to go with it.

I'm so glad you were able to reclaim your song! And re-associate it with your father. Music holds such powerful associations, it's sometimes hard to seperate a song from a specific time or situation. I can listen to music from the eighties that I loved at the time, but I get the same empty sad feeling I had during much of that time.

Thanks for sharing these.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 1:19pm

Post #39 of 47 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Seasons of Love is another one I listen to on occasion [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a beautiful song. I once tried to measure by the number of diapers I've changed. 5 kids for an average of 3 years... that's a lot of love. Smile

Vincent has me tear up every time too. I heard Josh Groban sing it in concert. It was amazing! My absolute favorite episode of Dr. Who is the Vincent and the Doctor. That one made me cry. There is something about his paintings... When my husband and I went to New York for our anniversary we visited the Met. He set me up. He knew where the Van Gogh paintings were. We wandered into a room and he led me around so that I was looking at this beautiful landscape (can't remember the artist) then he turned me around and I was face-to-face with Vincent. They had one of his small self-portraits in a case in the middle of the room. I had to put my hand over my mouth so I wouldn't scream like a demented fan girl. We ferreted out all of his work before we left. Magnificent!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 10:07pm

Post #40 of 47 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Well, what did you expect in an opera? [In reply to] Can't Post

A happy ending?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 6:05am

Post #41 of 47 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Your hubby sounds like a keeper :) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful experience that must have been!

I know the feeling of having to cover your mouth to keep from screaming with delight. I was at the National Gallery in London one evening when they were open late - I discovered that by accident. I had just stumbled onto the Van Goghs and was about to swoon with joy because I had them all to myself, when a gaggle of school girls came into the hall complaining about having to finish their homework assignment on Van Gogh. Mad I wanted so badly to ask them to go away for a while and let me have my moment. But I decided that I was pretty lucky to have to share Van Gogh with just five or six instead of the who-knows-how-many there would have been at a normal time.
I hadn't planned on going there that night, it was just one of those serendipitous (sp?) occasions I'll never forget.Smile

If you haven't already, you should read a collection of Van Gogh's letters. His writing was so eloquent and moving, and as beautiful as his painting.

BTW, I love that episode of Dr. Who as well. So heartbreaking but wonderful.

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 3:27pm

Post #42 of 47 (1322 views)
Shortcut
At least two. [In reply to] Can't Post

In My Life (Beatles). Our first dance at our wedding and it will be played at my funeral.

Good Riddance (Green Day).

I guess I just enjoy living through and taking in all the experiences life throws at you. "I hope you had the time of your life." So far, I have.

D

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 7:03pm

Post #43 of 47 (1312 views)
Shortcut
It really depends on what mood I'm in but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the songs that best suit me are:

Set Fire to the Rain by Adele
I See Fire by Ed Sheeran
Story of Us by Taylor Swift
Duel of the Heroes by John Williams (from Star Wars Revenge of the Sith)
Also any of the music from the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings movies.

I like all of these as a theme song, but LOTR music would probably work best!

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:29am

Post #44 of 47 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Uhhhh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't "understand" music enough to write out a tune and the only people I sing for are those too young to complain. I was at Girl Scout camp in the early 70's so it's undoubtedly out of the sixties.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Jul 29 2014, 12:33am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:21am

Post #45 of 47 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much anything from LOTR or Star Wars would be on my list. But I'd stick with the original SW trilogy in my case; I wore my soundtrack albums out. Laugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:23am

Post #46 of 47 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should add Good Riddance to my list, an excellent song. In My Life is great too. What a nice one for your wedding. Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:26am

Post #47 of 47 (1299 views)
Shortcut
*snert* I missed this earlier. Good one :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.