Halo
View Results (31 votes)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 11:39pm

Post #1 of 48 (1930 views)
Shortcut
YA books Can't Post

So I realize there are young people on here and people above the demographic who enjoy this genre of book. Have you read any of these? Just curious?
I have only read Hunger Games of these and have considered Fault in our Stars. I tried Divergent and didn't finish it. But I'm very picky about what I read.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 26 2014, 2:36am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 12:11am

Post #2 of 48 (1795 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a few of us here on TORn who are fans of the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I also loved Kenneth Oppel''s Airborn and Skybreaker.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 26 2014, 12:20am

Post #3 of 48 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

It pays to include Other and/or None of the Above (when appropriate).

I haven't been a young adult for decades now (I still have the heart of a 10 year-old boy; I keep it in a mason jar--ba-da-bum!). But I still remember enjoying Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 26 2014, 12:21am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 12:47am

Post #4 of 48 (1783 views)
Shortcut
I have read the first two Prydain books [In reply to] Can't Post

And have a friend who read all of them and enjoyed them even at fifteen. They seemd kind of Narnia like to me.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 12:49am

Post #5 of 48 (1790 views)
Shortcut
I did attempt the Ranger's Apprentice series [In reply to] Can't Post

But it just wasn't for me. However it seems to be popular with young adults along with T A Barron's Merlin series.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2014, 2:40am

Post #6 of 48 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I take from your question [In reply to] Can't Post

that you wanted people to click as many of the options as they had read although you hadn't set the poll to allow for multiple votes, so I changed it for you.

I've read the Divergent (meh), Twilight (hmmm) and Hunger Games (!!!) series, and I strongly recommend Garth Nix's The Old Kingdom Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, then a concluding short story in Across the Wall) - a blindingly good horror/fantasy series.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 26 2014, 4:14am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 2:45am

Post #7 of 48 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant for it to be multiple choice. Clumsy me.Unsure

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 8:16am

Post #8 of 48 (1767 views)
Shortcut
None of the above [In reply to] Can't Post

Not my cup of tea.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 9:15am

Post #9 of 48 (1766 views)
Shortcut
I've read and enjoyed YA novels, but none that you listed. Sorry :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read Harry Potter, of course. And I second Ataahua's recommendation for The Old Kingdom trilogy. It's awesome! I also enjoyed Spindle's End, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, that is - there's no better word for it - charming. Loved it!

As for non-fantasy: The Outsiders. I had seen the film directed by Francis Ford Coppola (sp? :P) which was filmed in my hometown, but had never read the book until a few years ago. I wept like a baby! It was written by S.E. Hinton when she was a teen herself. And though it's a bit melodramtic and cheesy sometimes, it demonstrates compassion and an understanding of human nature beyond many novels written by and for adults. If you can get past the silly names like Pony Boy and Soda Pop, it's worth a read.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 26 2014, 9:25am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 10:47am

Post #10 of 48 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read any of the ones in the poll, but I think there is plenty of young adult fiction that is worth adults taking the time to read.
If you haven't read the 'Tomorrow' series (seven books) by John Marsden, I highly recommend them. My copies are very battered as they have been borrowed by most of the staff at my school, and I have read them a number of times. John Marsden has also written a lot of other very good young adult books.

One of my favourite authors K. M Peyton, writes mostly young adult fiction. My favourites of hers are the Flambards series.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 10:51am

Post #11 of 48 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Tried... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Hunger Games and was shocked how badly I thought it was written. Couldn't get through the first part.

The basic idea is very interesting... I just do not believe it is executed very well.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 10:59am

Post #12 of 48 (1751 views)
Shortcut
The Outsiders was one of those books we had to read at school [In reply to] Can't Post

that everybody actually liked!
The movie came out when I was 16, perfect timing for an angsty teenager. I went to see it three times. I was normally in love with Matt Dillon or Rob Lowe, depending on my mood of the day.

I have found it interesting reading memoirs by Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez, in which they recount their experiences of making The Outsiders. The audition process in particular was rather unusual, with a large number of actors auditioning over a long period of time, and all the actors reading for multiple roles, often swapping around within the same audition. This went on for ages. Then, when the actors were finally cast, the East Coast and West Coast actors all met up at the start of filming, and hadn't really been aware of each other before.
Emilio Estevez was very disappointed not to get the role of Soda Pop, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as Rob Lowe lost the vast majority of his contribution to the cutting room floor, and Estevez was able to develop the character of Two-Bit in his own unique way.

It's fascinating to look at that film now and consider the post-Outsiders careers of those involved.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 26 2014, 12:32pm

Post #13 of 48 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Annael
Immortal

Jul 26 2014, 2:20pm

Post #14 of 48 (1742 views)
Shortcut
some recommendations for good YA fantasy [In reply to] Can't Post

the Sabriel series by Garth Nix

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Coraline and Stardust by Neil Gaimon

The Earthsea Trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore) by Ursula Le Guin. There are more books in the series but only the first three are YA.

I consider the Harry Potter and Narnia series to be YA, as well.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 26 2014, 2:35pm

Post #15 of 48 (1745 views)
Shortcut
L'Engle has written other YA novels, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked up A Ring of Endless Light which is part of the Austin family series from the library and it impacted me greatly (as a full blown adult).

http://www.goodreads.com/.../40338-austin-family

I never could get into A Wrinkle in Time but I loved A Ring of Endless Light.

I also like the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper.

I read some books recommended to my son in middle school (which may be a little younger than the books being discussed here) and I found many of them just kind of depressing. I get that young people are working through a lot of angst but geez... It would be nice to see some lighter stuff for them to read.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 48 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Loved Hunger Games [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read any of the other books on your list, but I know of most of them.

I don't read any where near as much as I would like to, so when I do I'm typically pretty picky. I don't like this trend that I often see in YA fiction of writing in the first person. IMO, it takes a lot of skill to write good stories in the first person. (Jane Eyre is the only novel that comes to mind that is really well-written in the first person.) It seems like most YA fiction is in the first person and it kind of annoys me.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:24pm

Post #17 of 48 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, [In reply to] Can't Post

Some books are better as movies. Though I do not care for the films, I do acknowledge that they are a vast improvement. Frankly, it surprises me that anyone could go much past the first chapter without a headache, but I suppose that in comparison to Dickens, Verne, Kipling, Dumas, and the other classics I grew up on, Collins can only do so well...

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 10:46pm

Post #18 of 48 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Jane Eyre is a masterpiece! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my very favorite books!

Name
Rohan

Jul 26 2014, 11:58pm

Post #19 of 48 (1701 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much enjoyed the Rangers Apprentice series. It really is an interesting idea, and I almost wish it was written for a more mature, adult audience. There's a lot of potential there. Still, I couldn't put them down. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 12:34am

Post #20 of 48 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes! Oppel [In reply to] Can't Post

I read those aloud to my daughter a few years ago. Brilliant ideas, I thought.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 12:39am

Post #21 of 48 (1706 views)
Shortcut
I loved a Wrinkle in Time. One of my [In reply to] Can't Post

all time favorites, partly because I was also a social outcast at school, but more for the unusual mix of fantasy, space travel, unexpected creatures, and especially the exploration of the really very nuanced relationships between the main characters.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 12:47am

Post #22 of 48 (1705 views)
Shortcut
I think the Jungle Books (not the Disney) and the original Bambi [In reply to] Can't Post

books by Felix Salten in translation (he was German author) would fit here. Not too many people are aware of the original Bambi stories. There are two books, both in a quite serious and philosophical vein. I call it the the psychological portrait of (sentient) deer. They live in terror of the hunters, experience really deep and profound emotions and relationships, and are generally tragic, with some joyful and humorous elements. But they are not happy stories. Probably why I liked them as an older child into my younger teen teen years.CrazyWink
Here's an interesting review: http://www.eyrie.org/...ews/books/bambi.html

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Jul 27 2014, 12:51am)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 6:12am

Post #23 of 48 (1688 views)
Shortcut
It certainly is [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been years since I read it, but I couldn't put it down when I did.

Have you seen any of the movies? There was one that came out in 2011 that wasn't bad. My favorite is one from the '80s with Timothy Dalton as Rochester. He's too handsome, but his acting is amazing.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 6:28am

Post #24 of 48 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you were going to finish the first sentence with, "and I hated it!" Laugh

That was an extraordinary cast. C. Thomas Howell is the only one who didn't really make it big, but you still see him in movies now and then.

BTW, the scene where Pony Boy and a soc are sitting in a car by a little burger joint talking about how neither of them want to fight but feel like they have to was filmed less than half a mile from my house. Not really bragging because it's not that impressive a view of my town, but it still makes me giggle to know that's where my friends and I used to go for a Coke after school sometimes. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 7:52am

Post #25 of 48 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of Heavenly Creatures was filmed in my old neighbourhood. I think I'd rather be famous for The Outsiders.
Crazy

By the way, every time I read the word 'soc', my brain tells me it is 'sock', even though I know it's not.
Imagine a bunch of wealthy wool socks with fancy knives in a rumble, vs the poor polyester socks with chains.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.