First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 4:02pm

Post #1 of 39 (505 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D Can't Post

Hey, everyone! I'm subbing today. :)

As usual, please feel free to choose your food/drink/music/etc., and tell us about your past week and/or upcoming weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 39 (415 views)
Shortcut
I made it on a [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday for a change. We are having beautiful, cool weather today. I can't remember ever being able to turn the air off in July but I've had it off a couple of times this year. Tomorrow my granddaughter and I will go shopping and Sunday the pool. I may go to the outdoor concert at the park Saturday evening. Today I'm cleaning the bird feeders and doing other odd jobs around the house.

Have a great weekend all!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 4:15pm

Post #3 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the weather just as beautiful out your way? I'll take an iced mocha cappuccino (LOL, I'm never sure if I'm spelling that word correctly!), please!

Will be back shortly, it looks like there's a couple of items I need to attend to...*puts on Admin hat*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 39 (409 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, sherlock! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets drink-of-choice*

Hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 4:38pm

Post #5 of 39 (411 views)
Shortcut
Hey, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed it is! This is certainly the nicest summer I can remember (not too hot + humid like normal, LOL!). :)

*gets glass, pours*

Hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
It's Friday and I'm here - wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

This summer has been crammed full for me & mine. Between camps, classes and volunteering, we've barely had a free day. And those two gloriously empty weeks in August that we were going to have? My cousin called in June and said, "Family reunion in August!" In Oregon (four states away). sigh. It's good, especially because there have been some deaths in the family over the past few years, and some of the guys (all my first cousins are guys) are stepping up to organize it (with a bit of help from my sister and a first-cousin-once-removed). And it's time with my sister's family in their new house, and with one of my closest friends in the world and her family. But, golly, I'm missing the prospect of those two weeks at home with nothing on the calendar!

I'll have an iced tea, please and thank you. Smile Have a good week, Eventides!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 4:43pm

Post #7 of 39 (425 views)
Shortcut
Happy and nervous Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm having an interesting and not necessarily pleasant mix of emotions today. On one hand I'm excited for tomorrow because it looks like we might be getting a BotFA trailer. On the other hand I'm nervous because I have an all-day Red Cross, First Aid with CPR/AED training course that I have to attend. You see, I'm taking a college Education course called "Wellness in the Early Childhood Setting" and I'm required to get certified in First Aid with CPR/AED training by the end of the semester.

I've had this all-day training course on my calendar for over a month now and been OK with it, but now that it's only one day away I'm getting really nervous with a queasy stomach and everything. I've never done this kind of thing before and I don't know what to expect. I also don't know how many people are in the class because when I signed up on the Red Cross website I couldn't figure out how to find that kind of information. All I know is that there was only space for one more person and I snatched it before it was too late.

On the upside, the class is being held in this lovely little church out in the country. My parents and I drove out there a couple of weeks ago just to check it out and it looks very nice. Much better than the other class option which was in downtown Richmond, smack in the middle of the city. I'm just not a city girl.

So, have any of my TORn sibs ever been certified in First Aid? Can I figure out a way to stop being nervous now? Frown

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 4:44pm

Post #8 of 39 (407 views)
Shortcut
Outdoor concert! [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of band will be playing?

(I introduce pieces for a community band which plays outdoors a few times every summer. The crowds are noisy, and the band members have trouble hearing one another, but it does bring the music "to the public"!)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 4:44pm

Post #9 of 39 (406 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Evey! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 4:48pm

Post #10 of 39 (416 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not certified, but they've held classes for it in the Library here, and it's pretty straight-forward stuff, from what I can tell.

They'll probably have a dummy for you to do training on. No real blood-and-guts!

I do think you'll have a good time learning everything. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 4:51pm

Post #11 of 39 (407 views)
Shortcut
Family reunion! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean about missing the "down time" to just do "nothing"...but we also know how much fun, and how necessary, those reunions can be. I hope everything goes well for it!

(And where you are, four states is a looong distance!)

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 39 (404 views)
Shortcut
Wow, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about busy! I hope you enjoy the reunion, though. :)

*gets iced tea*

Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, too, Arandiel!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 5:08pm

Post #13 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
Hi Eruvandi! [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets calming drink-of-choice*

Don't worry-- I'm sure you'll do great!!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 5:09pm

Post #14 of 39 (407 views)
Shortcut
A 2-1/2 day car trip, [In reply to] Can't Post

which I'm actually looking forward to. My kids and I do pretty well with these road trips - well, until we reach the Laramie area in Wyoming on the way back, and then they start getting rowdy because we're so close to home.

Thanks, dernwyn!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 5:10pm

Post #15 of 39 (411 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

*sips drink* *feels better*

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 5:18pm

Post #16 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
I've done Red Cross, Medic International, and AHA certifications [In reply to] Can't Post

though not all at once, of course! The classes are easier than your college courses. They break everything down into easy-to-get steps, there's lots of repetition so they know you really know your stuff, and the practice with the dummies helps a lot.

You'll do fine, Eruvandi!

acheron
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 5:37pm

Post #17 of 39 (444 views)
Shortcut
I'd appreciate some best wishes if anyone's got some [In reply to] Can't Post

My three(!)-year-old son (formerly known as baby Acheron Wink) is going into the hospital next week for a... not incredibly serious procedure, but something he'll need anesthesia for anyway. Plus beforehand we need to do some preparation at home that he's going to hate (and so his parents are going to hate it too).

(sorry to be a little vague.)

We tried a different procedure at the hospital a few months ago, and it went very badly, and has made him utterly terrified of doctors and hospitals and things. Hopefully this will be a little better.. anesthesia will help I guess.

He's had some funny issues since he was very little, we're hoping this might give an answer, or at least eliminate another possibility or two.

Anyway, it's hard on us, so need to steel myself for next week.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 5:44pm

Post #18 of 39 (408 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Virtual hugs, prayers, and well-wishes sent!

*gets healing/calming/steeling drink of choice*

I hope everything goes really, really well next week!!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 5:49pm

Post #19 of 39 (408 views)
Shortcut
you have mine [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of the hardest parts about being a parent. Especially with such a young child that can't really understand much of what is happening.

I hope you have a facility that is good with children. We have a whole Children's Hospital here that works hard at making kids feel more at ease while in their care.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 6:02pm

Post #20 of 39 (423 views)
Shortcut
I've discovered my new favorite summer drink [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, when we want iced coffee now (instead of later), we brew it double strength and then add lots of ice. We just stick this double strength coffee in the fridge and dilute it for more iced coffee.

Well, I put some of this double strength cold coffee (about a half cup?) into a good sized mug and then added about three quarter cup of vanilla ice cream and then stir it so it's kind of slushy. To. Die. For. It was so good.

I had some of this around 5 in the afternoon yesterday. I was up till 3:30 am wide awake. Although, I did have a dead to the world nap from 4 to 5. So I'm sure that contributed. I just used the time to read some more chapters on the new Dresden Files book.

I don't think I've done one interesting thing this week worth mentioning nor do I plan to do anything this weekend. I did go for a walk and saw a few butterflies. A monarch or two, a tiger swallowtail, and a glimpse of a dark one that might have been a black swallowtail. And a few small ones (half inch across) of various colors. When we went out last weekend to a somewhat different spot, we saw lots of really interesting dragonflies. Some of them are as big as a small bat! We also saw a House Wren on that walk which was a life first for me (hey... I'm just starting out!)

And I've been spotting some raptor in the neighborhood - I suspect either a Red-tailed Hawk or a Cooper's Hawk although I only get glimpses of it - and it may be two different birds. One glimpsed seemed like a big enough bird to be a Red-tail and the other seemed crow sized more like a Cooper's.

We just lost a small young tree out front. It seems the main trunk branched into two branches and it failed at that crook. One branch came down and then the other. They cut it down this morning and just now hauled off the branch. Then we're going to lose the large maple out front and a large elm across the street that have just gotten too old, I think. They're shedding branches in strong winds and these trees are large enough that shedding branches brings down electric lines. We're just lucky they haven't damaged any cars.

But these trees are shelter for birds and it will reduce, I'm sure, the number of birds I spot while sitting at my computer.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 25 2014, 6:04pm)

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 6:18pm

Post #21 of 39 (407 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Magpie! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't drink coffee, but even I have to admit that sounds really good! :D

*makes a virtual one for you*

Hope you continue to enjoy your wildlife-watching regardless of the trees, and hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 6:28pm

Post #22 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
Best Wishes and Prayers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately, the worst my kids have had is only a cavity that had to be filled, including a shot in the gums.

But I have found that kids mostly want to know that they are going to be okay, that you are never going to leave them forever, and if you do have to leave for a little while, you will always come back for them, no matter what.

Another thing I have found is that kids just want to know what is going on. Do not be vague with your boy, but tell him, in appropriate language for his age, exactly what is going to happen. Be as specific as you can without freaking him out. When we went through the cavity ordeal, I explained step by step what was going to happen and what it would be like, and that the dentist we had was very smart and knew exactly what to do for cavities. He knew ahead of time that, yes, he was going to get shots in his mouth, but it would be over in a jiffy, and make the whole procedure more comfortable. It may take a few repetitions, but just reassure him that you'll be there the whole time and won't leave him. Also, if you appear brave in front of your boy, he will be less inclined to be so scared. But if he sees you nervous and upset, he'll take his cues from you.

My former employer had a 3 year old boy with an inguinal hernia that required surgery. Ahead of time, the doctor let him practice his "fighter pilot" procedures, which involved putting the oxygen/anesthesia mask on his face, and practiciing breathing in it. He said it helped a lot.

Good luck!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 7:03pm

Post #23 of 39 (401 views)
Shortcut
*Sets out Self-Serve sign* Thanks for having me as a sub today, everyone, and I hope you all have great weekends! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 7:37pm

Post #24 of 39 (404 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we had a bit of a downturn in the weather here this week, which put a serious kink in my concert-going plans, so I'm very much looking forward to catching up this weekend at a local arts & crafts fair. Other than that, just enjoying the return of the sunshine, and all of the fun news coming out of SDCC. Also think I need to see if I can create that champagne cocktail with a raspberry and lemon twist that The Old Vic has concocted to celebrate the great reviews for The Crucible!

Have a good weekend all! Cool

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 9:03pm

Post #25 of 39 (400 views)
Shortcut
I had military first aid training many times. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was always taught by someone who understands that the students are not professionals. They always did a great job of explaining things so that anyone could understand, and they kept it simple. Anyone with high school grad level intelligence should have no problem learning the basics.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.