Evangeline Lilly talks about her writing

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 10:34am

Post #1 of 6 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Evangeline Lilly talks about her writing Can't Post

http://uk.ign.com/...rmies-comic-con-2014

I think this is great, it shows Evangeline has a genuine passion for the fantasy genre and for writing, so we know her approach to The Hobbit is coming from a good place.

She also talks a little about The Hobbit. But no spoilers.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 10:42am

Post #2 of 6 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Nice interview. [In reply to] Can't Post

She really is a character - a lot of people cannot handle that. It has been the same during LOST.

And then people often tend to direct some sort of hate they feel for a character towards the actress.

She went through this twice now... as some LOST-fans turned against her character Kate, and now with Tauriel.

Of course, one can be at odds with the way an actress or actor presents herself in public... but in the case of EL it is sometimes painfully obvious that some people need someone to personally blame for all what they found to be wrong with Tauriel.

I was really stunned, when I watched YT videos in which she talks about preparing for the role and reading the Sil again, just anything she found regarding Elves in Tolkien. And people simply reacting with hate and negativity, telling that this is an even bigger insult to any "true" Tolkien fan etc etc.

Shows a lot of ignorance, both for other views as well as the concept of acting and the role of actors in a movie production. Particularly, as the same people often tend to scream down similar criticism directed at Tolkien immediately.

I am really glad we have a strong-minded actress behind that character who brings in much more than her talent. What she says about the sensibilities of kids and what they can take is very very true, as well as her feeling about habing her own art out there. There is a lot of intolerance towards such projects - especially when Hollywood-people "don't do what Hollywood-people do".

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 25 2014, 10:50am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 6 (983 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel has become one of my favorite Middle-earth characters, just a tad behind Frodo and Bilbo, and that must mean PJ and Co. succeeded if a newly created character has become a fan's favorite. I think she is portrayed brilliantly by Evangeline, as she knows what she's doing and like fans was hesitant about this character, but knew that she would work, which she did. It's a real shame some people still don't like her just because she's not Tolkien-invented. But, IMO, she's a much better fleshed out character than a lot of Tolkien's one dimensional characters, so PJ and Fran and Phillipa did great in this department. And to hate her just because she has a "romance" with Kili is also insane. People over exaggerate this romance, when it took up about 2-5 minutes AT MOST of screen time, and even then was it hardly mushy-gushy romance, just Tauriel appreciating this young dwarf more, and how the elves' standpoint on their hatred for them might be misplaced. And yet everyone seems to blame Tauriel for this, making it act as though she and Kili were making out for most of the movie.

She's also the character and story I most looking forward to seeing in BOTFA, as it's something surprising that I don't know how it will unfold. So, props to Evangeline Lilly for making Tauriel such an amazing and epic character.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (981 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... exept... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for the part who say people hating on her because she is not by Tolkien or because of the romance.

Yes there are some who dislike her "just because". But their are plenty of critics, especially on this board who have stated wh Rudy dislike her with much more depth and reason. I don't necessarily agree with them but very often it is more than just brainless "hating".

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 11:48pm

Post #5 of 6 (937 views)
Shortcut
Honestly she is absolutely lovely and I will never understand the hate she gets. [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad to see her doing well. Smile

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 12:06am

Post #6 of 6 (953 views)
Shortcut
She's very articulate, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.