Livestream SDCC panel tidbits - bats vs. eagles? - disappointed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 25 2014, 1:29am

Post #1 of 35 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Livestream SDCC panel tidbits - bats vs. eagles? - disappointed Can't Post

So just got off the livestream Hobbit panel - well, as far as tidbits go, and of course the panelists are rightly VERY careful relaying what is rumor vs. fact, but I THINK what was said is that the DG bats will be fighting the eagles. And that Azog MAY have some power that spawns something nasty that helps him out (and all I could think of was the GOT scene with that woman and the shadow-thing she spawns...)

I've never been to a Hobbit panel anywhere, but gotta say I was disappointed in seeing the tragedies of this story played for laughs, and the interpretations by the panelists - some of them - and the comments - "Thorin's "weakness", Thranduil being "one-note" so far and evidently one of them REALLY loves Aragorn. Guess I was expecting more depth and neutrality, comments on what influenced Tolkien, something a BIT educational. Wrong vehicle for that kind of thing I guess in that SDCC looks like party time. But the whole thing seemed to revolve around who will buy the farm and some panelists' personal opinions, for the most part. Unimpressed

Just startled as was expecting something different. But honestly, if I had had to wait hours or something like that for this, I would have been majorily angry. And if I'd been there I would have left after one too many slides with a tombstone dropping in front of it.
Like, dudes.Unimpressed *sniff*

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 1:38am

Post #2 of 35 (2056 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that's disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

Tuned in for a minute or two during the live stream, and was hoping some nice info would be revealed. But I kind of expected it to be just what it was: nothing downright serious, just the panelists making jokes and all that. Again, their panel, and they can do what they want. But when TORn kept building up this event, they made it sound like we'd be getting some big spoilers and all that, so I too would be disappointed if I went to this and found it was what it was. Which again, isn't bad, but misleading.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 25 2014, 1:49am

Post #3 of 35 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched all of it and no-one missed anything, tho the Azog thing if true was a surprise - tho frankly I hope that doesn't happen, as the idea of Azog-the-sorcerer for me is completely "meh". *Shrug* I just expected more as I assume these - some - are TORn mods at least. And I too was hoping there'd be SOME sort of real info - can't blame the panelists if WB isn't sharing, but I didn't think much of the approach or the opinions.

Oh, well, now I know what a Hobbit panel can be likeUnimpressedShocked Tho in the midst of my negativity hafta say, very cool to have a livestream, so that's appreciated - and one that didn't crash.Unsure

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 25 2014, 1:52am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 2:26am

Post #4 of 35 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Whelp [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully tomorrow and Saturday will be better. the buzz on this movie is pretty subdued; Not sure if that's by design or what but WB's marketing..terrible.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 2:32am

Post #5 of 35 (1873 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

With some films coming out, you got such hype and it's all over sites and is a trending topic on things like Twitter and Facebook. With The Hobbit, we're getting none of that. The poster sort of got a buzz, but nothing major. Hopefully the teaser trailer will spark major buzz in BOTFA. It's a shame that The Hobbit doesn't have that hype and rabidness LOTR had. Unsure Mainly since the general audience is more interested in things like Marvel (eck...) and superheroes in general (even more blugh), and Game Of Thrones is really taking over the medieval/fantasy hype. A shame, really.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 6:34am

Post #6 of 35 (1767 views)
Shortcut
TORn's presence at San Diego Comic Con ... [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn's major role (though correct me if I am wrong) is to represent the fandom, and to give unofficial news and information about The Hobbit movies. Anything they say is likely to already been known among fans (i.e. we've known for a long time that there will be an air-battle between the bats and the eagles). They rarely give out any major spoilers or snippets, especially when PJ and co. are officially there representing the franchise on Saturday.

Yes, Comic Con is one big party - people and guests arrive in costume and generally just have a laugh. One goes there to meet and mingle with hundreds of like-minded dedicated fans.Since the panel was exclusively for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies then one wouldn't expect a semi-educational panel on Tolkien themes and how the movies were influenced by the books. They are there for movie news.

I can only imagine that the atmosphere there was electric, with a lot of excitement. Laughing and cheering is bound to occur in a room of over-excited Tolkien fans.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

Smile

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 6:48am

Post #7 of 35 (1664 views)
Shortcut
It is what it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Stopped watching it because I also realized it is not for me... Tried the GoT panels in the last two years.... Found them also to be quite dreadful if one wanted some background but realized it was simply for the fun and enjoyment of the fans there. And that is fine :) It has nothing much to do with the value of a production or the commitment of the creatives... It is simply the fandom culture.

Daniel has it right, I think.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 25 2014, 6:50am

Post #8 of 35 (1719 views)
Shortcut
If you want some serious Convention [In reply to] Can't Post

you have to go to Hobbit*Con or Ring*Con in Germany.

And we don't have less fun then in SD... Sly

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 8:05am

Post #9 of 35 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

The actors at RingCon/HobbitCon are not that serious, either! :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 8:21am

Post #10 of 35 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Another misleading? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the FB announcement and it seems those major spoilers didnīt happen, what a pittyUnsure

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 8:32am

Post #11 of 35 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Bats vs Eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not really new - we knew that over a year ago when they mentioned PJ doing aerial fights during the battle. It could only have been bats and eagles going at it.

So really the only new information here is the Azog bit, and even then they seem rather unsure about it.

boldog
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 9:07am

Post #12 of 35 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Dont know what to say about this... [In reply to] Can't Post

....The whole Sorceror-Azog thing seems a bit too far fetched for me. It does sound cool, but it really doesnt suite the character one bit, to possess any magical abilities.
Besides, I like the character for his evil, expressed wholly in his physical strength, not "magical abilities"

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 10:29am

Post #13 of 35 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 10:35am

Post #14 of 35 (1509 views)
Shortcut
The buzz... [In reply to] Can't Post

... however, will not change because of these panels.

I even doubt it will fundamentally be changed by a teaser (though of course flame up for a few days).

But in general, the hype and buzz has - already before AUJ came out and reviews came in - moved on to other franchises and especially into the TV and Superhero direction.

This may be partly due to the style and form of these trilogy - but certainly not just because of that. Hype moves, that's how it is. And that TH was still able to make 2 billion with two movies so far, is more exeptional imho than some give it credit for with the lack of hype both before and during the release of the trilogy in certain corners (especially the movie-geek corner).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 12:44pm

Post #15 of 35 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why the success of the move is is considered exceptional... [In reply to] Can't Post

They've had plenty of hype and marketing I've seen, but you don't get year long hype for any film, other than the first Hobbit film, understandably. Once it ramps up in Oct/Nov?Dec it's pretty much as hyped as any.

These films were ALWAYS going to be hugely successful though, unless (on the highly unlikely chance) all 3 were utter tripe. (then again, that hasn't stopped Transformers has it!) There was already the existing Tolkien/Hobbit fanbase, then the fans from the previous LOTR films and now the 'new' fans fresh to it all. They don't actually NEED to shout as much as many of the other franchises for the same effect IMHO.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 12:53pm

Post #16 of 35 (1414 views)
Shortcut
I think my post was misleading. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not exceptional in the sense of "more than expected" (far from it, anything less would have been called a dissapointment), but exceptional in showing such a huge basis of movie-goers despite the hype being not on par with that of some superhero movies, The Hunger Games and some others. Neither before nor after the release of each movie, imho.

So exactly what you said in your last sentence: they did not need to shout louder, and that kind of shows the "exception" that this franchise has and is for many - or at least has been (and I doubt it would have helped that much if they had shouted louder).

It also shows that the internet community often used to determine "hype and buzz" is - after all - just a minority of the audience.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 25 2014, 12:56pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 1:01pm

Post #17 of 35 (1392 views)
Shortcut
measurement of success [In reply to] Can't Post

See now this is what I find interesting.

It is undeniably true that these movies have an enthusiastic fanbase as evidenced by RT fan ratings, ticket sales, and sales of products like DVDs and the like.

Nonetheless, there is this nebulous sense of "failure" as if a billion dollar movie just isn't good enough anymore or is somehow a failure if it isn't pushing the limits to 1.5 or 2 billion. It's a strange creeping of "good" and "profitable" and "successful".

I have heard that the enemy of "good" is "best". Good is good enough, I say. Just enjoy it!

Another point is that the extra 3D /CGI effects may be helpful for the fantasy genre in depicting otherworldly beings and the like, but it may be even more favorable to the superhero genre - and I think that is absolutely the case. I would say not so much that the ME franchise is so much worse, but rather that the superhero franchises have gotten that much better! Even Disney has made major improvements and CGI is heavily used in cartoons now. We see major gains there as well this past year. Just because some styles are helped more by 3d / CGI and are doing MUCH better, doesn't mean that a billion dollar movie with a rabid and happy fanbase is no longer "good" and "successful".

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 1:16pm

Post #18 of 35 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly did not want to insinuate that I am not content with the level of hype or success (however one defines it).

My original point was just that the hype and buzz, some (imho rightfully) think is not that big for TH compared to some other franchises, has simply moved on - or better - is shared by much more franchises now than back in the days of LotR.

Which, as you rightly say, is not a bad thing.

I agree on your comments on the "sense of failure" when it comes to the Box Office numbers. This sense of failure was a cat that bit its own tail, imho. The same people who had extremely unrealistic predicitons for TH were in many cases those who yelled "Floppit" when it wasn't the absolute BO superstar of 2012 and 2013.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 1:57pm

Post #19 of 35 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit movies are already classics but in a more silent way [In reply to] Can't Post

You said it both quite well, they dont need to shout it, but when this movies in years to coe will be shown in TV for christmas or whatever regular people who are not even fans of any fantasy movie or the genre itself will appreciate it as classics. Wich I think already are

I see the six movies as a whole in terms of popularity, despite the elevn years gap. And Ii think the vast part of the audience perceive them as a whole. They dont need to be like Avatar, they are more like a experience that broke not the market but the imaginarium of common folk aswell

adt100
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 2:03pm

Post #20 of 35 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Ah yup, that makes sense.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 25 2014, 2:27pm

Post #21 of 35 (1350 views)
Shortcut
What is "GOT"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 2:34pm

Post #22 of 35 (1360 views)
Shortcut
GOT (or GoT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Game of Thrones.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 25 2014, 3:09pm

Post #23 of 35 (1317 views)
Shortcut
At a guess - and I wasn't there, or following this online.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that this was just someone tossing far-fetched theories round for fun, as tends to happen here sometimes.

Just ask yourself, if they had given Azog any kind of magical powers, why would he have let Gandalf hold him back so easily in DoS? He only tries brute force in that scene, presumably because that's all he has.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 4:00pm

Post #24 of 35 (1272 views)
Shortcut
I can only speak for myself [In reply to] Can't Post

In no way do i see these films as a failure at all. They are very successful and I have enjoyed them (even if I did have issues which I've discussed on the boards). Overall I have enjoyed them very much. But for me it's boring to just say "yay i loved the films" (which I did) without discussing some of the issues I've had.

My major issue has been the marketing from this fans point of view. Just not as much h fun for me this time around. I'll be there with bells on for the film in December and will watch it many times no doubt as it's our last foray on film into Middle Earth.

But I would be lying if I said I don't miss the involvement of the fandom overall and the massive amounts of marketing. I get that that it's a different time and place and can accept that. It's just disappointing is all as a fan.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Jul 25 2014, 4:01pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 5:20pm

Post #25 of 35 (1249 views)
Shortcut
somehow I feel warner brothers hasnīt believed in the hobbit project [In reply to] Can't Post

as they could have believed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.