Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 1:18am

Post #51 of 66 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Amazing Grace [In reply to] Can't Post

2006. William Wilberforce's struggle to end the slave trade in the British Empire. I found it far more compelling and emotional than I expected of a movie about political machinations. And there's lots of Benedict Cumberbatch in period clothes, for those of you who are into that kind of thing.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2014, 2:06am

Post #52 of 66 (1173 views)
Shortcut
I love that movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was my first time seeing BC in anything, and I remember thinking how unusual he looked, but he was very good there - they all were! Love Michael Gambon and Toby Jones.

My only quibble: the tune to which they sing Amazing Grace was not the one used at that time. It did not acquire the tune we all sing it to until 1835, when American William Walker set it to the tune called "New Britain" in his song book "The Southern Harmony".

But if they'd used another tune, everyone watching would have been saying "Hunh?..." Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 2:18am

Post #53 of 66 (1158 views)
Shortcut
OOPS - I mean Johnsons! [In reply to] Can't Post

Almighty JOHNSONS - typed my post right before I got off work, had a brain fart I guess!Shocked

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 2:20am

Post #54 of 66 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I bet if T-Bone Burnett had done the music... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would have been period correct. :-)

Aren't we used to hearing Christmas hymns to different melodies? The English versions always seem like a different tune than the US versions.

Maybe it's easier for me to wrap my brain around because folk songs often have varying melodies.

This site says the earliest published tune associated with Amazing Grace was Hephzibah.
http://www.markrhoads.com/...ePages/Hephzibah.htm

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 2:37am

Post #55 of 66 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I love Longmire [In reply to] Can't Post

do you know that Robert Taylor was one of Hugo Weaving's fellow "agents" in the first Matrix movie?

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 2:43am

Post #56 of 66 (1154 views)
Shortcut
only after reading it online // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2014, 2:45am

Post #57 of 66 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Heh - I detect an Anders fan. :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 4:58am

Post #58 of 66 (1158 views)
Shortcut
I'm really loving Endeavour [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see a 3.1 episode listed on IMDB but it's listed for 2016. Hopefully that means it didn't end but it looks like we're in for a Sherlockian wait. (Lynley just kind of ended and that drove me nuts.)

I like Shaun Evans and his portrayal of the younger Morse. I've watched a couple seasons (series) of Inspector Morse now and you can see the seeds of the older Morse in the younger, but not as an anvil moment. It's interesting to see some of his mannerisms in their younger, more untried forms. Morse the older is freer with his mannerisms but the Morse the younger hasn't loosened up yet. I'm guessing he hasn't drank enough to really stop caring yet. I'd love to have been in on the writing sessions when this was originally put together. Going back over Morse with a fine tooth comb looking for the roots of his character must have been fun for the writers.

I didn't realize that part of the theme music for the original Morse series and then the new series sometimes contains clues in Morse Code. The original theme spells out M-O-R-S-E in Morse Code in the background. There are times when the composer puts the name of the killer or a red herring into Morse Code into the background incidental music of the episode. Now that is the kind of detail I love in a series!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2014, 10:24am

Post #59 of 66 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for finding that tune. I do like that you can listen to Amazing Grace sung with it.

And very interesting, how it just does not have the same impact as the familiar version!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 8:53pm

Post #60 of 66 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

He IS an Heir of Durin, after all - and the main reason I watched the show in the first placeWink

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 4:19pm

Post #61 of 66 (1128 views)
Shortcut
I felt about the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

after watching it at home on DVD. Some of the stuff that bothered me on the big screen didn't bother me so much on the smaller one. I would have liked more Bilbo and even think they should have showed us what Gollum was up to. I definitely would have preferred less fighting, chasing, kick ass elves and that dragon.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 5:06am

Post #62 of 66 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Northwest Territory [In reply to] Can't Post

1959. Adventure with a ragtag band in colonial India. It's a good movie, but doesn't compare to Lives of a Bengal Lancer, or Gunga Din. OTOH, it has Lauren Bacall. Lauren Bacall makes everything better.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 4:10pm

Post #63 of 66 (1105 views)
Shortcut
I liked it too. [In reply to] Can't Post

When BC came to the role of Sherlock, I had to go back and catch him as Pitt.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 7:48pm

Post #64 of 66 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Bingeing [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched like 6 episodes of Attack on Titan last night. So. Good. It's such an intense show that it's kind of hard to watch. But then it's so fascinating that it's hard not to watch.

TolkienBlog.com

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 27 2014, 3:39am

Post #65 of 66 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Sharpe's Rifles [In reply to] Can't Post

1993. Sean Bean leads British soldiers against Napoleon's army in Spain and Portugal. It was obviously filmed on a tight budget, but they did a lot with what they had. The electric guitar score is obnoxious; IMO filmmakers need to either go all out with the anachronisms like A Knight's Tale, or stay true to the period.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 6:20am

Post #66 of 66 (1084 views)
Shortcut
I've heard good things about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I had actually forgotten about the Sharpe series. That was one of Sean Bean's first important roles, right? I'll have to give it a try.

TolkienBlog.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.