Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
So does anyone play Lord of The Rongs Online?

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 11:42pm

Post #1 of 12 (4313 views)
Shortcut
So does anyone play Lord of The Rongs Online? Can't Post

It looked pretty cool from the preview and it claims to be free. I had ill luck with "Battle for Middle Earth" the PC game. I had trouble with it, (I am not a gamer.)
Is it any fun?

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 23 2014, 11:43pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 12:21am

Post #2 of 12 (4191 views)
Shortcut
There are a few... [In reply to] Can't Post

on here who play....a couple years back we started up a TOR.n kinship, but could never get enough of us online at the same time to make it work....I don't play it much anymore.....I love it but don't have a lot of time. It's a great looking game. There were a few folks on here who played a lot.....
The game is free to play, but I believe the expansions cost money to download...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Eruclauron
Bree

Jul 24 2014, 2:23am

Post #3 of 12 (4195 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

I play fairly regularly, on the Vilya server, and I love it. All quests up to the Lone Lands are free, but then after that you have to buy quest packs, which cost Turbine Points. Conveniently, you earn those in the game (if a bit slowly), or you can buy certain amounts of them. Expansions, like the recent Helm's Deep and Paths of the Dead do cost money, and I think they have a quest pack or two in them, but I don't know for sure. I haven't bought any of those yet, but I plan to once I get to the Helm's Deep point in the Epic Quests. Those are the main story quests, and are all free except for Helm's Deep, since that used a purchase-exclusive game mechanic.

(This post was edited by Eruclauron on Jul 24 2014, 2:24am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 24 2014, 3:39am

Post #4 of 12 (4184 views)
Shortcut
I do!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I play every day. If you're going to start and want someone to play with, play on the Brandywine server! I got 11 or 12 characters on there, some low level and I'd love to quest and help you through the game! :)

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 24 2014, 5:16am

Post #5 of 12 (4190 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

I've played this off and on since the beta. It's definitely a fun game.

It's very true to Tolkien, too. There's a pub in The Shire called the Bird and Baby. In the pub you can find hobbits named Tollers (I think), Jack, and Charles. Makes me happy.

TolkienBlog.com

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 7:43am

Post #6 of 12 (4198 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there are also some posts further down.

I started to play in June 2007 and have come back to it over and over again.

The game mechanic has aged a lot... the money for the develpoment is far from what it could be... the store is annoying... and they take ages to correct some of the mistakes they have made over the years.

But you will hardly find a more adult MMORPG community - and no other game that lets you experience Middle-earth in such detail. If you know your Tolkien you will not even need maps for a lot of it - some stuff simply is that accurate and detailed (you can find the "thinking" fox, the place where the Hobbits met the Elves in the Shire, the fire-wood the rangers place at Weathertop, the place where the Company crosses the Nimrodel in Lorien, the place the rubble of the Bridge of Khazad-dum hit bottom, etc etc).

You should try it and if you like it and know that you will play a lot for a month or so, a VIP account is also worth it.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Olessan
Bree

Jul 24 2014, 3:00pm

Post #7 of 12 (4183 views)
Shortcut
I highly recommend it; [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been playing nearly every day for the two years since I started playing and it's fantastic. There's nothing quite like exploring Middle-earth (Dol Amroth and surrounds were just added this month) and it's still fun and lively despite its age. I play on Imladris, one of the mid-population servers and there're always people about.
It's also pretty much got the most respectful and friendly MMO community, and practically everyone that plays is a Tolkien fan of some sort. Most of the people I've seen even have lore-appropriate names for their characters.

And yes, it's free and perfectly playable so, and pretty easy to get into for people who aren't much for games otherwise. I'm a regular gamer but it was my first MMO (I've since tried others and they didn't hold up to LotRO) and picked up on it fairly quickly. If you do end up starting the game and end up looking for help or feeling overwhelmed (or lost), just say so on the chat and you'll likely get some assistance from surrounding players. A lot of people, particuarly the higher-levelled ones, like to help out new players. =p

(And so I return to lurking!)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 12 (4154 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But you will hardly find a more adult MMORPG community

That's one of the things I appreciate most about LOTRO. I've dabbled (very) little in other MMOs and the people always seem annoying to me in comparison.

TolkienBlog.com

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 26 2014, 7:44pm

Post #9 of 12 (4149 views)
Shortcut
What trouble did you have with Battle for Middle Earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 26 2014, 10:58pm

Post #10 of 12 (4138 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to have not checked in sooner [In reply to] Can't Post

I struggled with the controls and actions. Navigating was really challenging. The truth is I am not a natural at gaming and I also have not be blessed with a large degree of patience. I have however really enjoyed and loved Aragorn's Quest DS game and have played playstation and did better.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 26 2014, 10:58pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 26 2014, 11:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (4147 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, if you stick with it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's a great game. My favourite Tolkien-related one.

Wilros
The Shire

Jul 31 2014, 6:04pm

Post #12 of 12 (4161 views)
Shortcut
Kinda [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I don't play Lord of the Rongs Online, but I do play Lord of the Rings Online Wink

I greatly enjoy it but don't get much chance to play. They seem to try to stay within the spirit of Tolkien, though things have to be stretched to make a good game.

For Tolkien fans there are lots of cool things to see and do like exploring all the places in ME, and meeting some of the characters. Some interesting 'fanfic' type things they have added in include what Earnur's fate was after heading out to duel the Witch King, how Aragorn met Gandalf, what it was like to be around Annatar in Eregion, etc.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.