Shortcut
Cool poster... // [In reply to] Can't Post

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 7:38pm

Post #56 of 129 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I never actually said that the poster was not good - I love it! The actual idea is not exactly to my taste but I do like the digital art. Wink

A family member said that the FB comment was a good comment to make (I being one of the thousands who cannot go to Comic Con).

I had to laugh at your comment of Bard vs Smaug being a "phooey on Robin Hood". Laugh

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 7:39pm

Post #57 of 129 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Me neither - I am very excited!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 7:56pm

Post #58 of 129 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Sigh - SDCC [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think in the excitement of SDCC where potentially so many juicy tidbits might be, that there's literally thousands around the world who are passionate, paying fans too. SDCC I think thanks to its explosive popularity hasn't (from the sound of it) become an easy "con" to attend - there was some discussion of this on the TA threads but here's a good 2012 article:

http://io9.com/...n-still-for-the-fans

Not saying it's not fun, or not worth going to. It just doesn't sound easy, unless you are connected. Plus $$$$$$Unsure!!!!!

So we need to depend on TORnHeart

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 7:57pm

Post #59 of 129 (1068 views)
Shortcut
if pj wanted Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

He had to put in Bard of course, because he is his slayer.
And it rocksEvil

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 9:19pm

Post #60 of 129 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Such a positive response here and such a negative one elsewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a strange contrast.

Let's look at some other responses:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68102

http://www.slashfilm.com/...-five-armies-poster/

http://uk.ign.com/...-con-poster-revealed

Faramir5
Bree

Jul 23 2014, 9:23pm

Post #61 of 129 (987 views)
Shortcut
Comic Con Exclusive? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know if it will be possible to buy a copy of the poster online?

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 9:25pm

Post #62 of 129 (992 views)
Shortcut
At this point... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson can do nothing right, according to some fans. It's pretty ridiculous. This is proof that you can't please everyone. There will always be people who hate on things, no matter how awesome something is.

Our destiny lies above us.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 9:25pm

Post #63 of 129 (958 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing I know is that I must have it.

Our destiny lies above us.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 9:33pm

Post #64 of 129 (946 views)
Shortcut
Probably not CC exclusive [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gandalf poster for CC in 2012 became available to buy (even found it in my local stores). Give it a few days and some might appear on Amazon or something.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 9:40pm

Post #65 of 129 (961 views)
Shortcut
I don't even take people like that seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see being negative and not liking something, but it seems people are just doing it to The Hobbit since it's what everyone else is doing. I saw comments on IGN of people saying these were badly written, no character development, and mediocre films on par with Transformers. Seriously, what in the hobbit hell? These are in no way shape or form bad films. I can see why some might have problems with them, and it might hinder their overall look on the film, but there is nothing in these films that screams "Mediocre trash". I find no flaws with these films (my fanboy nature, I'll admit), but even if I were just a regular audience member, I'd find these to be completely enjoyable films. How many other movies give us amazing-looking dragons and such a rich and elaborated world straight from Tolkien's works?

LOTR's immense success really hindered The Hobbit, sadly. Really feel bad for it, because just as much love and care went into these films as LOTR, from the cast and crew. Just watch the appendices to AUJ and you'll see, this wasn't a "let's do this for the moneyz" as some folk love to claim. They wanted to tell this story, and they did so spectacularly. Such a shame to the cast and crew all this "negative" feedback when they've put so much hard work in to it. I know every movie gets its negative remarks, even LOTR, but never were they called mediocre movies, and it's a shame that some people are comparing these to movies like Transformers (which I do enjoy, but they are just "summer blockbusters" where you turn your brain off for 2+ hours).

I just hope BOTFA blows people out of the water, and if it does, I think a lot of folks will reevaluate their negative outlook on AUJ and DOS, and gain a new respect for them, now that it is a complete trilogy.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

adt100
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 9:41pm

Post #66 of 129 (934 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree. Just to none book folk it may seem slightly odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 9:43pm

Post #67 of 129 (959 views)
Shortcut
However... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it is not just TORN were the reactions are immensely positive. Even some rather negative sites regarding TH - such as boxoffice.com - are pretty amazed. However, among movie fans there is of course that running joke with a hero facing the audience ;)

But of course this will not turn over those for whom the ship to a Hobbit they like has already sailed. I do understand that for those this can easily be interpreted as showing "everything that is wrong with these movies"

On another note, not directed at you AshNazg but all: As I said in my previous post, I do think this is highly stylized and does not show a scene actually in the movie. If it does happen more or less like this, however, I could see it work - Smaug in all his rage, fury and hybris coming towards Bard, Bard shooting Smaug, Smaug flying up in the air (creating a tornado like wind with his wings) - far up - then we see his eyes go dark and he falls back onto the city. Might work even better than Smaug flying past Bard as he shoots him, gives them more time to really build up the epicness of the moment.

An one more thing: I really think this was the right way to start that marketing campaign. I do not think with all the delays a Bilbo poster would have done the trick anymore... we have plenty of time for character posters and character shots before the movie comes out. Now was the time for a bang - and they delivered.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 23 2014, 9:53pm)

~Medieval Soul
The Shire

Jul 23 2014, 10:42pm

Post #68 of 129 (880 views)
Shortcut
OMG! Squeeeeeeeeeeee [In reply to] Can't Post

This is better than I ever could've imagined. This just increases my agony of waiting though!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 10:50pm

Post #69 of 129 (900 views)
Shortcut
yawn re the "haters" - *grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep - a quick scan re your links - there's some negative trash there. And I do mean trash, unlike the thoughtful posts that may be negative, but actually have some thought behind them. On the other hand, I thought this response off slashfilm was so good, I'd repost it. So there's GOLD and GEMS in the hoard of Internet debris. And I would bet my beloved Orcrist replica that the interest in anything Hobbit at SDCC will be akin to someone giving away free Super Bowl tickets.Cool

Very funny the comments of those who think there is too much LotR in the Hobbit films or the original novel was a children's story. The Hobbit is well known as Tolkien's dry run for LotR. While the story may contain elves, dwarves and wizards, it's themes are definitely adult. Strange we are still hearing people beat the dead horse of "too many films" for such a short book. I'm a Tolkien fan but his prose is far from emotional for most people. Films must work on an emotional level and Jackson and company have done a splendid job of creating a connection with all the characters and it takes time. I also really appreciate seeing where Gandalf goes off to in the films whereas he merely disappears for stretches in the book. It's not too often someone returns to a world they created on film to continue a story (retrospectively in this case) and does so with this much care and nuance. Dislike the films if you wish but they are certainly not cash grabs. They are clearly a labour of love for the director and producers and it shows. Pity there are some that can't see it.

I loved "Films must work on an emotional level and Jackson and company have done a splendid job of creating a connection with all the characters and it takes time."HeartHeartHeart

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 10:56pm

Post #70 of 129 (883 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic Poster [In reply to] Can't Post

My only complaint is that I wish Smaug's wings were more outstretched (he doesn't really look like he's flying IMO). But an awesome poster otherwise.

Yes, my username is terrible.

(This post was edited by TheSexyBeard on Jul 23 2014, 10:56pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 11:19pm

Post #71 of 129 (862 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see being negative and not liking something, but it seems people are just doing it to The Hobbit since it's what everyone else is doing. I saw comments on IGN of people saying these were badly written, no character development, and mediocre films on par with Transformers. Seriously, what in the hobbit hell? These are in no way shape or form bad films

IMO that kind of thing just takes ONE post and it's like that study that was done - e.g. researchers lined some people up against a wall at a college - a blank wall. Sure enough people started joining the line, not even asking what is was for. True story - the point for the researchers being the human herd instinct.Cool So is there any way to clarify that these same folks might praise LOTR to the skies, without even being able to explain? Or is it just because it's fashionable? Critics LOVED Indy 4 and for me that's not a film I even need to see again, for example.Frown

Show me a movie that doesn't get trash talk, one way or the other. It's like the folks who have road rage because of the "safe anonymity" and they can run awayCool.

For me - and this is where it counts - time and again even the most flighty of re-hashed news stories this year have said things like "expected blockbuster" and the money the Hobbit 3 is expected to make. E.g., the Hobbit movie has good "industry buzz" already. And frankly the popularity of its cast which has been variously in the media lately isn't going to hurt, either. Which I suspect the trash-talkers don't know, because they don't seem like folks who read. Not anything with two-syllable words, anyway.Evil

And PS. - unless folks can point out why I am wrong - the world changed from LOTR to the Hobbit - e.g. more home viewing, sadly more pirating. So if earnings may or may not be a benchmark, I'm not sure a real comparison can be made. And I'd put the Hobbit performances, for me, over LOTR and it's not even the third movie yet.Tongue

PS2. - And in just idle net surfing that poster image shot around the world in minutes - which doesn't happen re a film no-one is interested inCool

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 23 2014, 11:22pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 11:27pm

Post #72 of 129 (884 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool poster, I guess.Evil

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 11:39pm

Post #73 of 129 (877 views)
Shortcut
Meh?! Here's a video of my reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this is pretty much how I reacted... http://youtu.be/i4FuPdMskeI

Tongue It deserves more than a meh.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 11:47pm

Post #74 of 129 (853 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry about that, this isn't THE official poster [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just for Comic-con (like the Gandalf one), I'm sure there's a Bilbo-focused poster coming later as well as an official theatrical poster (floating heads or something).

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 11:56pm

Post #75 of 129 (837 views)
Shortcut
I like "defining" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only the last film, but the ultimate film that will define the entire franchise, It'll finally tie the two trilogies together and give us all the missing pieces to make sense of the mysteries in the past two instalments.

The success of this last film defines The Hobbit trilogy as either an integral part of a six-series story or just an optional supplement to the trilogy.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jul 23 2014, 11:56pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.