The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The music isn't up to par
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 10:38am

Post #51 of 81 (716 views)
Shortcut
Same here. I could hum the Laketown theme right now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. and several of the others. I simply don't accept that there is no memorable music in the two new soundtracks we've had so far. It's new, it's unfamiliar, it's different. It isn't the Lord of the Rings music, which has engraved itself on our minds and memories. But I say it's just as good if people will only give it a fair chance and not dismiss it out-of-hand for not being Lord of the Rings.

That's up to them, though. I can only speak for me, and I love the music and really enjoy listening to it on its own as well. When I do, I can see the images it accompanies in the films - and there aren't many film themes I'd say that about, or bother to listen to on their own.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Jul 21 2014, 10:40am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 10:57am

Post #52 of 81 (727 views)
Shortcut
One minute there, Elizabeth.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So... music is all about taste, but the 'experts' agree with those of you who find The Hobbit music disappointing? Presumably, then, those of us who like it are not sufficiently refined to appreciate its shortcomings?

Your responses to the music are your own, but you might perhaps pause a little next time before being quite so dismissive of other people's. I have no idea what prompts the people who decide on Oscar nominations, but I'm not prepared to surrender my judgement to them. I enjoy The Hobbit music as much as I enjoyed the music from the previous films - to me, it's all part of one coherent work and I look forward to the missing piece. When I watch the films it enhances them; when I hear the music on its own, it evokes particular scenes - more the more familiar with it I become. Some of it is breathtakingly beautiful. As for experts, far as I'm concerned, Howard Shore' expertise is much more telling.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2014, 11:58am

Post #53 of 81 (694 views)
Shortcut
Will Howard Shore do a concert version of the Hobbit music? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone heard if there are any plans to do this, the way he did with the LOTR music?

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Name
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 12:10pm

Post #54 of 81 (686 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Or the concert where the movie is rolled and the music played live to the projection. That's my personal favorite. Cool

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 12:17pm

Post #55 of 81 (689 views)
Shortcut
That would be especially interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

As we might see (or hear rather) some of Shore's original intentions restored.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 1:53pm

Post #56 of 81 (666 views)
Shortcut
It is indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

the same with movies. All of it is art. You either like it or you don't. If it doesn't speak to your muse it doesn't. All I can really comment on with film, TV, music, all peforming arts really is if I like it or not. It's hard to say whether something is "good or bad" when it's really about personal taste.

And I'm okay with people liking/not liking something that I don't like or like. It's all art.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

TnuaccayM
Bree

Jul 21 2014, 2:26pm

Post #57 of 81 (672 views)
Shortcut
That's because they are different movies [In reply to] Can't Post

TH is mostly adventure and fantasy, while LOTR is about glory, tragedy and war. What we hear in those soundtracks are a reflection of those themes in the movie. I, personally, find TH's music much more enjoyable than LOTR. If people were expecting to hear in TH what they heard in LOTR they are going to be dissapointed, because as of now, there hasn't been any significant glory, tragedy or war in these films. I think that the soundtrack for these movies couldn't have been better. And as for there not being any memorable tracks, well I think tracks like My Dear Frodo, Out of the Frying Pan, Wilderland, Flies and Spiders, Thrice Welcome along with Durin's and Smaug's themes are excellent. Its just that they are different, and theres nothing in LORT like them. I think what many of you want are tracks that make you cry, and that's something that I am sure is coming :D

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 2:38pm

Post #58 of 81 (657 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

That's kind of how I took it. I'll be honest it's slightly rude and I'm a bit surprised that Elizabeth would go there. It's a little disappointing.

I'm glad I enjoy them and don't really care if they oscar people do. For me it shows they don't know good stuff if it was to pimp slap them upside the head, because the music is beautiful. Like you said I trust Shore more than the political game that is the Oscars.

I will add in ending that if people don't like them or like them as much that's ok. I'm sure you like something I don't. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 2:54pm

Post #59 of 81 (648 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

so now we base quality on what the Academy says? Well if this is the argument that is on the table there is no point in even continuing....

I also find it interesting that only the 'experts' can appreciate really good music...yet these 'experts' seem to think that only extremely 'memorable' themes are worth mentioning. I'd think the 'experts' wouldn't need to be the ones that have to be spoon fed to appreciate something.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 2:56pm

Post #60 of 81 (650 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I'm totally ok [In reply to] Can't Post

with people not liking The Hobbit scores...that is totally subjective and understandable.

But to say that Howard wasn' into it or didn't try is offensive. And to say that 'experts' understand that these are not good scores is purely ignorant.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 3:08pm

Post #61 of 81 (647 views)
Shortcut
It's irritating that's for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you totally.

I will say that reactions like that are why in some ways I find it hardly any fun at all talking about these films. It all gets kind of old real fast.

TnuaccayM
Bree

Jul 21 2014, 4:14pm

Post #62 of 81 (633 views)
Shortcut
I don't agree with the Academy's ''expert'' opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when a movie called Gravity won the Best Original Score Award and another one called Bad Grandpa was nominated for best makeup, when DOS wasn't even nominated. I don't really recall Gravity having any music and how can they compare the make-up work made for one single character to make-up done for a whole cast. I think they give the oscars to the most popular choices, rather than to those who really deserve it.

Turnip Head
Bree

Jul 21 2014, 4:49pm

Post #63 of 81 (613 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

There is definitely plenty of memorable music. My hope is that after all three films are available for home viewing and we all know them to the extent that we can recite each line in each film, as I'm sure most of us can with LotR, more of those who dismiss these new scores as lesser than their predecessors can appreciate them for the gems that we believe they are.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 4:51pm

Post #64 of 81 (615 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

people seem to forget what the Academy is made up of...but it is definitely not people that should be deciding
'the best' in cinema.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 5:11pm

Post #65 of 81 (605 views)
Shortcut
The music in Gravity was excellent, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was the only soundtrack i've bought in the last couple of years. You should check it out.

Name
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 5:22pm

Post #66 of 81 (600 views)
Shortcut
Agree as well [In reply to] Can't Post

What was impressive about Gravity, for me, was the LACK of music at times. Oh well, what can you do...........

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 5:29pm

Post #67 of 81 (598 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

The only excellent thing about Gravity was the cgi for me. The rest I just thought was below average.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jul 21 2014, 5:31pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 5:31pm

Post #68 of 81 (586 views)
Shortcut
I would say there is quite a bit of difference [In reply to] Can't Post

between wondering if HS has lost the feeling, and stating definitively that he has.

And the op wasn't being all that disparaging, imo. A lot of people feel that the music for the Hobbit films isn't nearly up to the greatness of the music in LotR, and HS wrote the music to both, so it stands to reason that we would look to him in trying to figure out what might be different this time around.

And yes, i'm well aware of couching insults and accusations in the form of "innocent" questions (political reporters are experts at it haha). I just don't really think that's the case here.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 5:59pm

Post #69 of 81 (591 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to acknowledge and respect all of you who love The Hobbit music, as well as those who are disappointed (which, I'm sure you realize, are numerous since there have been multiple threads on this subject).

I like the movies, in general, though with far less passion than what I felt for the LotR films. That's not to disparage TH films in any way... Jackson had far less material to work with than with the first trilogy. He's done a pretty good job with them, so far.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 6:17pm

Post #70 of 81 (587 views)
Shortcut
Ah - OK.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... that was how your post seemed to me but if it wasn't what you meant, fair enough.

I know opinions are divided on the Hobbit films and the music. For myself, I love them and have immense respect for all the work that has gone into them and the combined range of talents needed to bring them into being. It wouldn't bother me if I was the only one who thought that way, and I'd happily chat about them with anyone, for or against. I just don't understand why the atmosphere seems to get so sour at times.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 12:29pm

Post #71 of 81 (525 views)
Shortcut
I can't agree that the music isn't up to par. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the music of The Hobbit.

One of the criticisms that was leveled at the LotR movies back in the day was that the score was intrusive. Personally I loved it, but I am a fan of (and sometimes collect) symphonic film scores anyway and the LotR scores are some of the best marrying of music and image that I know. The music was so vivid and has become tied to the movie images so strongly in my mind that when I listen to it, no matter where I am, I feel as if I’m in Middle Earth. I’m listening to The Two Towers today as it happens.

I also love the music of the Hobbit movies, but in a different way. There are beautiful themes: Starlight Feast, Laketown, Tauriel’s theme, the Elvenrealm/Thranduil, and especially the House of Durin theme which can be tragic or triumphant, pensive or adventurous as required. There is interestingly eerie music in various places. The orchestration and use of Smaug’s themes in his encounter with Bilbo and the Dwarves is fabulous, IMO.

However, I do think that the music is used differently in The Hobbit movies, by the director. It’s much more like a conventional film score, background music for the most part. The music is more muted and less overt than the music of LotR, not as much in our faces. I really regret that but I don’t think it’s the music itself that’s at fault.

Also, like TnuaccayM, I think that these two sets of movies are telling two different kinds of stories. Maybe the different character of the music is designed to suit The Hobbit movies.

As has been said, in the end it all comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 1:27pm

Post #72 of 81 (514 views)
Shortcut
Forums [In reply to] Can't Post

This is true of just about any online forum though. The problem is that you can't see people's faces, nor their voice inflections etc. So words seem somewhat harsher at times because we can't really put them in the context of the person.

I belong to numerous online forums and I help moderate a portion of one. You always have to try and remember that there's a person behind the post and see it in that light.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 2:22pm

Post #73 of 81 (500 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry.... What's true of any online forum? [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously you're right about thinking of the person behind the post. I may have misunderstood what Elizabeth intended (as you'll see, I wasn't the only one), but if you're referring to my more general comment, about the sour tone of some of the debate here on The Hobbit films, I have to say that sometimes remembering that there's a person behind the post doesn't help at all. Sometimes the words posters use are intentionally harsh and meant to be read so.

I've known forums where this doesn't happen - for a start, I've never seen the same level of rancour (or any rancour) on TORn's other forums. Of course there are places on the internet that are a lot more vicious. TORn is well-modded and has good, respectful standards. But here on the Hobbit forum things can get a bit unpleasant at times and I don't understand why that should be. That's all.

And if you weren't addressing that comment, then I'm really sorry, but I don't know what you mean.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 2:27pm

Post #74 of 81 (506 views)
Shortcut
No you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I did mean that sourness. It happens on all forums to one degree to another. And really it goes both ways (I wasn't really pointing out you personally)

People post negative things and don't realize sometimes how it comes across. I don't know how many times I've had to ask people to really think about what they are posting and why.

I do agree that there are people who are intentionally negative and trolling. that too is part of the online forum community unfortuately.

I didn't see that to be the case here (and I know you didn't either). I was just pointing out that sometimes on both sides we post things without realizing there's a person who may be reading it that what we said is not what we reallly meant.

Confusing, I know. It was just a general observation though.

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 5:48am

Post #75 of 81 (456 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same at the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

but not anymore. LOTR themes are definitely more epic and grandeous, but that's because the whole story is more epic and is about saving the world from destruction. The Hobbit on the other hand is a story of Bilbo Baggins adventures so in terms of this I think they made the right decision with the music.

However if you depth deeper into the music and listen to it more carefully, you will discover it's great potential or at least I did. Music for each particular area and culture is unique and great (Rivendel, Goblin Town, Beorn, Mirkwood, Lake Town...) and though not so memorable like Gondor theme for example still very beautiful. You just have to know what to expect and you can be surprised by some pieces like the Feast of Starlight. Durin's folk and so on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.