The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Cloaks and Daggers Tidbits

Kim
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 2:52am

Post #1 of 20 (2361 views)
Shortcut
Cloaks and Daggers Tidbits Can't Post

I just got my C&D book and wanted to share some cool tidbits I found that I haven't seen posted here before:

In the section on Bag End, there's a page that displays a lot of the letters and such on Bilbo's desk. One letter reads,
"Dear Bilbo,
Greetings from under the Mountain! Many years have passed since we have enjoyed the company of our honest burglar, but we send our best wishes from afar on the occasion of your eleventy-first birthday. Dwalin, Dori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Gloin at your service! Most of us are too old to attempt the journey to the Shire, indeed, Bombur is now almost immovable and it takes six young dwarves to lift him from couch to table. But the roads are good (the Beornings keep open the high pass and the Ford of Carrock, but their tolls are high), so if you ever pass this way we welcome you with open arms.
At your service as always, Gloin."

Although it's written in English/Westron, the letters are shaped like dwarven runes. I love that I can now have that image in my head when I'm watching the Long Expected Party in FOTR. Smile

In the page on Young Thorin, we find that he has jeweled vambraces and a mithril belt. The belt later gets melted down and turned into the mithril shirt he wears during the Battle of Azanulbizar. And as the dwarves are leaving Erebor and we see the shot of Thorin carrying a pack over his shoulder, turns out it's actually his suit of armor hanging off his axe.

Eruvandi also pointed out in the TA thread that there are a couple of pages she spotted from the red book of Westmarch that have what appear to be alternative narratives for the AUJ prologue.

These details are fascinating. Diving back in to see what else I can find. Anyone else have cool tidbits to share?

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 3:24am

Post #2 of 20 (1897 views)
Shortcut
I'm loving Gloin's letter to Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing that with us, Kim.Smile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 7:24am

Post #3 of 20 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Glad you started this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Cloaks and Daggers is the best of the Weta Chronicles so far. I'm loving all the information about fabrics - the dyeing, decoration, construction and deconstruction - and the close-up photos of some of the costume details.

Gloin's letter is lovely. I think my favourite things so far (I'm trying to take it in slowly!) are the bits and pieces from the dwarf packs, especially Ori's journal (Adam Brown can really draw. They don't say which are his drawings and which Daniel Reeve's, but they all look good.)

My biggest puzzle so far is, what on earth is digital embroidery?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 8:02am

Post #4 of 20 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Beornings [In reply to] Can't Post

If this letter is film canon, it would suggest Beorn isn't the last of his kind after all...I wonder if that might be revealed in the third film in some way?

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 8:29am

Post #5 of 20 (1804 views)
Shortcut
In the books... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Beorn gives up his solitary and isolationist life style after BOFA and becomes a chieftain among the Northmen who lives between Anduin and Mirkwood. These men are thereafter known as the Beornings, but I don't think any of them had the ability to shapeshift (and it's also not known if his son Grimbeorn was a shapeshifter or not).

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 9:44am

Post #6 of 20 (1751 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't recall any mention in the books that he was the last of his kind as the films assert. I might be wrong about this though.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 12:16pm

Post #7 of 20 (1715 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this Kim [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got the book too, last week, and am going through it, savouring all the beauty. I'll look for the letter.

About that letter, I love how it's signed by the seven survivors of the original thirteen, minus the three casualties of the BOFA and the three who went to Moria. A really nice touch, in a set of movies full of nice touches.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 23 2014, 1:33pm

Post #8 of 20 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Grimbeorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... Beorn gives up his solitary and isolationist life style after BOFA and becomes a chieftain among the Northmen who lives between Anduin and Mirkwood. These men are thereafter known as the Beornings, but I don't think any of them had the ability to shapeshift (and it's also not known if his son Grimbeorn was a shapeshifter or not).

There is a suggestion that Beorn's son Grimbeorn was also a Skin-changer, as were others of Beorn's direct descendants:

Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 2:46pm

Post #9 of 20 (1655 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed the letter from Gloin too and I was *this* close to starting a thread on it when I noticed that you had done it for me.Smile (The board is really moving fast for this to be on page two already and you just posted it yesterday. Wow!)

I love how much detail the Hobbit sets have! They could have just filled Bilbo's desk with letters that were just gibberish, assuming no one would know, but instead they took the time to write actual letters, some of them with canon-accurate information.Heart

I also noticed that some of the other letters featured on that page of Cloaks and Daggers, although their contents were not canon-related, still had clearly been given a lot of thought in order to be realistic. For example, one letter was from one of Bilbo's aunts saying that she was going to come visit him, while at the same time nagging him about the laundry he leaves lying around and the fact that he isn't married yet.Laugh The other appeared to be from a friend or acquaintance who was asking Bilbo to put in a good word at the sheriff's office on behalf of their son who was going to be looking for a job there soon. I just love it all!AngelicHeart

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 3:43pm

Post #10 of 20 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Legolas has a mithril shirt and the sadness of Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho I think Dale is mentioned in the Art Book (#3). Now I'm even more frustrated that we didn't see Dale, as the production designers talk about visiting a Pompeii exhibit for inspiration - e.g. up to the time Thorin & co. pass through Dale, NO-ONE has been there as it was designed. Like Pompeii it's a place frozen in time.

Which is chilling to envision but hope the EE has the Dale scene.

Also that Legolas - somewhere in his costume section its mentioned he has a mithril shirt.

It fascinated me during the production design the amount of work that went into distinguishing the environments - something that I think needs to be appreciated about these films - from the fish-themed Laketown to the dwarf aesthetic to the brooding sense of danger re the thorn elements in connection with Thranduil - that as the Quest headed east this really IS a Middle Earth we haven't seen before. And the incorporation of so many cultures from around the world in the design process.

Definitely, I like all the WETA books, but the DOS books have been SUMPTUOUS - and if folks can afford it, IMO the Smaug book is worth the purchase, as the work on our dragon was staggering.

Also, giving props where due - EL's intro to C & D I thought was very nice!

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 3:50pm

Post #11 of 20 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Call me a sometime romantic but I'm happy for Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think Beorn found a nice Northwoman *grins* something like from the TV show "Vikings* and not only could his son shape-shift - turns out since once there were "many", there were scattered surviving shapeshifters here and there.

IMO the world of ME is more cool with shapeshifters like Beorn in it.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 6:06pm

Post #12 of 20 (1581 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning on buying the Cloaks and Daggers book soon as it looks beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure going to look out for this letter! Wink

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 7:04pm

Post #13 of 20 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Think it would be better for a BOFA book [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless it's just another way of subtly trying to give a heads-up re some of Boyens and the actors' comments. Tho I suppose the only people buying this kind of book already know the story. In context I personally found it a tad creepy re the timeline re these particular books.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 7:07pm

Post #14 of 20 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Me thinks my brain was playing tricks on me... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I wrote my reply I could have sworn this thread was was on page 2, but now I see it's on page 1. In the middle of page one in fact. *blinks with confusion*

Guess I shouldn't have been reading posts that early in the morning.Crazy My brain was clearly not working.CrazyCrazy

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Kim
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 7:26pm

Post #15 of 20 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Other letters [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for including the content of some of the other letters - those must have been fun to create. I couldn't quite read those since their script was a little more elaborate (and I don't have a magnifying glass like you).

LOL on the page 2 comment, I thought something must have happened overnight to push it to page 2 so fast, although I'm sure it'll get there soon enough with the news of the new poster and whatever other SDCC goodies get released!

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 8:21pm

Post #16 of 20 (1539 views)
Shortcut
You can see him wearing it in a lot of the pics [In reply to] Can't Post

Leggy's mithril shirt, I mean You have to look at the V-neck of his green tunic. The first time I noticed it was in those French DOS posters, but if you know to look for it you can see him wearing it in a bunch of other pictures too.

I'll just give you links to the bigger pics instead of resizing them to put them here because it's easier to see on the big pics.

Facing down Bolg
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/orlando-bloom-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug.jpg

Outside a Lake-town house (This one is my current laptop wallpaper.)Cool
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hobbit-2-20.jpg

Pretty sure this is from the barrel escape scene
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-orlando-bloom-2.jpg

I can't find any good facing-forward pics of Legolas in his armor, though, so I don't know if he would have been wearing then, too, or if he only wears it under the tunic. I'll have to keep drooling over-*cough* I mean...researching pics and see if I can find out.Wink

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Elk2013
The Shire

Jul 24 2014, 1:12am

Post #17 of 20 (1501 views)
Shortcut
anything about Thranduil in this book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eager to know the details of his costumes and especially his swordCool

Kim
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 1:29am

Post #18 of 20 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he gets several pages [In reply to] Can't Post

on his weapons, props, costumes & jewelry. Not a ton about his sword, but there is some. There's also some interesting stuff on the props and set dressing for the Woodland Realm. I haven't read through that section in detail yet though. Currently savoring the details in Rhosgobel - there are lots!

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 24 2014, 1:44am

Post #19 of 20 (1502 views)
Shortcut
*Cracks a big ol' smile* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also noticed that some of the other letters featured on that page of Cloaks and Daggers, although their contents were not canon-related, still had clearly been given a lot of thought in order to be realistic. For example, one letter was from one of Bilbo's aunts saying that she was going to come visit him, while at the same time nagging him about the laundry he leaves lying around and the fact that he isn't married yet.Laugh The other appeared to be from a friend or acquaintance who was asking Bilbo to put in a good word at the sheriff's office on behalf of their son who was going to be looking for a job there soon. I just love it all!AngelicHeart

Thanks for mentioning all of that, Eruvandi.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 24 2014, 1:46am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 24 2014, 8:32am

Post #20 of 20 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Not to forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Thranduil's notes on orchid growing. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.