The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Probable DOS SEE 3D cover pic!

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 21 (4590 views)
Shortcut
Probable DOS SEE 3D cover pic! Can't Post

A poster at Blu-ray.com posted a picture allegedly coming from a legitimate source, which is to depict the 3D lenticular picture of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D Extended Edition.

Here the news at Henneth-Annun: http://www.henneth-annun.ru/...sii-pustoshi-smauga/

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 21 (3464 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the best one yet for these covers.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 21 (3441 views)
Shortcut
would be a great one. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 9:39pm

Post #4 of 21 (3415 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad I won't get the 3D version. Hopefully the 2D version looks as good...

Our destiny lies above us.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 21 (3391 views)
Shortcut
I like it a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for more info on the EE, how much longer it is (like if the 25 minutes or so still stands), what scenes have been put back in, etc.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 10:35pm

Post #6 of 21 (3370 views)
Shortcut
I find it fitting... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I always thought that the 3D covers for DoS should include Thorin and Smaug (but not necessarily on the same cover). Unless I can afford to upgrade to Blu-ray by November (doubtful, but you never know), I'll be getting the DVD, just like I did with the Extended Edition for AUJ last year (since they don't include the DVD, I have to buy the one I can actually watch, unlike the theatrical versions, which contain both formats). But unlike last year with AUJ, I won't be getting rid of the theatrical version of DoS, since there's no way I'm getting rid of that picture of Thorin (or any picture, for that matter).Wink

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 11:39pm

Post #7 of 21 (3301 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope they have something like this for the metal box, and also that they will have the non-Blu-ray EE in packaging like the box with the acorn we had for the UK edition, which fits best with the LotR covers.

Retro315
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 12:49am

Post #8 of 21 (3277 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

The 2D/DVD version will almost certainly be the poster shot of Bilbo looking upon the Gates of Erebor, and ruins of Dale, won't it? I should think. That would look pretty nice nestled in a purple border.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 2:48am

Post #9 of 21 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Utterly fantastic and appropriate... [In reply to] Can't Post

This makes me appreciate the cover for the An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition 3D cover all the more. I had thought they would just cycle through the character portraits for these editions like they are the Theatrical 3D Blu-rays (and we'd likely end up with a Gandalf DOS image here). But seeing that we get such a perfect image for this film makes me so happy and appreciative of the choice for An Unexpected Journey's image of Bilbo - and only Bilbo. Because the heart of the story is Bilbo's journey, after all. Having his confrontation with Smaug as the choice here reinforces that beautifully.

Just crossing my fingers for lots of added Bilbo material in the EE as there was for AUJ. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 23 2014, 2:49am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 6:18am

Post #10 of 21 (3206 views)
Shortcut
Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's wonderful to see the iconic scene of Bilbo and Smaug... Heart
...and I too hope for lots more Bilbo in the EE (...and Beorn, ...and the Enchanted River, ......and Thranduil!)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 8:02am

Post #11 of 21 (3178 views)
Shortcut
That's really good... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping as well that the 2D DVD set will come in a slip-cased fold-out packaging to match the AUJ one.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 8:28am

Post #12 of 21 (3253 views)
Shortcut
I've put it into a mockup: [In reply to] Can't Post

I've put it into a mockup:

Imho, looking good!

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 8:54am

Post #13 of 21 (3163 views)
Shortcut
That would be ideal. [In reply to] Can't Post

And for Bot5A a silver box with the Eagles flying over the Bot5A :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 12:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Not sure about showing Smaug on the cover [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how much the film builds up the reveal of his face.

But it's such a fantastic image, it'll definitely grab people's attention in shops!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 12:03pm

Post #15 of 21 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Could someone Photoshop this onto a cover? [In reply to] Can't Post

Make it look more "legit". I assume it'll be encased in a purple border? I'd do it myself if I wasn't on a Chromebook Tongue

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 23 2014, 12:03pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 12:06pm

Post #16 of 21 (3146 views)
Shortcut
You mean, like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=759599#759599

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 12:12pm

Post #17 of 21 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Haha, sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's perfect, thanks. Blush

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 4:09pm

Post #18 of 21 (3064 views)
Shortcut
Might be getting a sneak peek and some release info (date and price) soon [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year we got some stuff toward the end of July - http://www.theonering.net/...t-pricing-announced/

Maybe we'll hear something at Comic Con.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 5:35pm

Post #19 of 21 (3041 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's something to be asked from PJ at the panel. :)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 7:27pm

Post #20 of 21 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Love the Thorin cover but think Bilbo/Smaug is fitting for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing as it's an awesome Thorin image, tooTongue. But Bilbo-Smaug is central and iconic and I'm loving Smaug even more after reading the WETA book - as thought I didn't love Smaug already.

I know money is tight all over the world but while it's not a huge deal, if you can in any way suggest getting a BR. I'm not a big tech person but it's just - betterHeart. And the prices have come down a lot, or people get rid of working BRs as they upgrade - my first BR was a freebie - slow, but it worked. So I'll cross my fingers for yah. It was actually the release of the AUJ EE that spurred me to do some upgrading of the tech stuff, on budget of course. You can find SOME sales folks who are good to work with and won't oversell you stuff.Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 4:02am

Post #21 of 21 (2977 views)
Shortcut
That looks fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

I wasn't sure the color scheme would go well with the purple border, but I actually think it looks quite nice. I hope we get official specs soon. I'm actually looking more forward to this than BotfA, if you can believe that. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.