Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you write?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you write?
Yes, It is my professional vocation.
It is not my vocation, but I have finished at least one major project.
I'm still actively working on my first project.
I mostly dabble, but I hope to finish...someday...
I did before, but not much any more.
No, but I'd like to find time for a few ideas I have.
No, I can't write,
I write Non-fiction (Explain below)
I write Fiction (Explain below)
I write Poetry or Music. (Explain below)
I write something other than Prose or Poetry, (Explain below)
View Results (81 votes)

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 6:08pm

Post #26 of 66 (8806 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that as the project progresses, there will be fewer edits and the edits that are made will be less severe.

Actually, I have been at this for a little while now and in its very earliest stages it had extremely wild swings in the shapes it wanted to take.

The changes / edits / adjustments are mellowing out now and I hope they will continue to do so.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2014, 7:26pm

Post #27 of 66 (8818 views)
Shortcut
Writing is a large part of my job [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm also inching my way through a second manuscript for a novel. (The first was rubbish, but I did finish it!)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2014, 7:29pm

Post #28 of 66 (8811 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

when I come across adults at work - highly experienced in their fields - who don't know how to write a full sentence, and can't tell that there's something wrong with their sentence structure.

Although I can say, hand on heart, the people who write the densest sentences are engineers.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 10:19pm

Post #29 of 66 (8827 views)
Shortcut
Fan fiction, mostly... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the Hobbit (that will not be ending the same way, I can tell you that right now, since why would I write about something that will depress me to no end), Pirates of the Caribbean (that I really should get back to one of these days), 2012 and the original Nightmare on Elm Street series. I also made up an original story similar to Narnia when I was in college. The course acquired us to keep a journal, and since I find writing about my day incredibly dull and dreary, I made up a story instead. When my cousins were younger, they made some kind of fort in my grandparents' raspberry bushes, so I often wondered what would happen if that hole led to another world similar to Narnia. I never finished it, and it's been so long since I wrote it that I'm not sure if I can remember it (except for the names of the characters and a few other details).Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2014, 9:14pm

Post #30 of 66 (8796 views)
Shortcut
It's been about a year, I think, since [In reply to] Can't Post

A fun thread over on the Hobbit board inspired me to try my hand at a limerick. I went from smitten to passionate about poetry in short order. I always received positive comments on my writing skills back in the yesteryear of my college days but the expectation was that I was going to become a great novelist. Unfortunately, that, er, has come to nothing. Blush

I take writing poetry very seriously, though, when I can find time to devote to it. I have no confidence that I'm anything special and no clue where it will take me, but I do want to keep experimenting and honing whatever ability I may have. At the very least, it's great exercise for the brain! Cool

This is a great idea for a poll, Rem! Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2014, 9:41pm

Post #31 of 66 (8789 views)
Shortcut
Rem, your poem [In reply to] Can't Post

A reminds me a bit of Shel Silverstein's style. His books of poems were always one of my favorites to read to my daughter. Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2014, 9:45pm

Post #32 of 66 (8781 views)
Shortcut
You are so right, Elizabeth, [In reply to] Can't Post

on the importance and power of communication. I sometimes think if our culture and educational system placed a greater priority on learning how to communicate and articulate ideas, the world would be a more peaceful place.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 10:24pm

Post #33 of 66 (8775 views)
Shortcut
I write but not consistently [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not finished one novella and some poems and a fanfiction. Everything else is in bits and pieces. I am attempting to write a Medieval multiple viewpoint novel.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 24 2014, 12:19am

Post #34 of 66 (8781 views)
Shortcut
I write fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly SF/F, though I've dabbled in other genres. I've finished several short stories to the point that I tried for publication with them (which never worked out - I wasn't really at that level yet) and have drafts of 5 or 6 different novels, two of which I'm working on cleaning up enough to publish. It's going to be a long time before those are in any shape to be read though! I did have several pieces of Twitter-length fiction published a few years ago if that counts.

I've been mostly inactive lately, but I'm meeting with a writing group this year and trying to get back into a routine. I feel rusty coming back to it after so long.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 4:05am

Post #35 of 66 (8809 views)
Shortcut
I write mostly fiction, [In reply to] Can't Post

though I have also done a book on prayer journaling and a middle-grade book on Nathan Hale and John Andre. I've self-published about a dozen books, both e-books and paperbacks and hardbacks, on amazon and lulu. I don't sell many, but I love having nice copies of the stories I've spent a lifetime writing. I love going back and reading them, which is the whole point, really. :-)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 11:50am

Post #36 of 66 (8779 views)
Shortcut
much writing [In reply to] Can't Post

i am a professional writer (among other things)... articles, reviews, news, interviews, features, copy.

i also write poetry, plays, fiction and non-fiction (and have won awards for my poetry and fiction).

cheers --

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 5:07pm

Post #37 of 66 (8754 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

You definitely have a talent if you make a living writing.

What do you see different in the writing processes of fiction vs. non-fiction?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 5:10pm

Post #38 of 66 (8761 views)
Shortcut
Notes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you speed-write or do shorthand? I've tried to take notes, but I just couldn't keep up!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 5:14pm

Post #39 of 66 (8763 views)
Shortcut
Ah.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So how do you go about it? Is it just a list of things you like/dislike? Do you look to see how the plot elements work together?

Book reviewing sounds like an interesting job.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 5:27pm

Post #40 of 66 (8745 views)
Shortcut
That sounds good. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always fun for me too! I can sympathise in the lack for time though!!

I too like to feel immersed in a story. I've not read many fanfics, but in some of them, I got the feeling that they were just trying to immerse themselves in the story, but it was a personal fantasy that had meaning to them-- not others. Not a bad thing, but when you are expecting to have a story that has general appeal, you can be disappointed when it's not. On top of that, grammar and spelling are not everyone's strong suit.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 6:22pm

Post #41 of 66 (8747 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations for finishing!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder, did it make the writing process any easier? I imagine it would boost your confidence.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 6:34pm

Post #42 of 66 (8750 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like too much tragedy either. I like to enjoy myself when reading. I don't go in for the dark, gritty sad stories.

I really don't wrote fan fiction. I don't know why, but I never got into it. I guess I like a bit more freedom in my writing. I'm sure or takes skill to wrote within another's constraints.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 6:39pm

Post #43 of 66 (8750 views)
Shortcut
Poets are special people... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've dabbled, but I don't think I'll ever get to the level of a true poet. It's a special insight that allows you to weave words into rhyme and still carry a deeper meaning and symbolism. Even of prose doesn't work out for you, (keep trying!) I love your verse!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2014, 6:53pm

Post #44 of 66 (8739 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you, Rem [In reply to] Can't Post

Praise is always such a great motivator Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2014, 7:19pm

Post #45 of 66 (8734 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I imagine it would boost your confidence.

It was just a slog to get there. Although it did speed up my writing when the ending wasn't far away!

Annael
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 7:36pm

Post #46 of 66 (8744 views)
Shortcut
well . . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In nonfiction you're pretty much always trying to explain something to another person. Maybe you're teaching, maybe you're just theorizing or musing about something; often in my work, it's been about taking a complex topic and putting it in simple language so more people can understand it. In fiction, it seems to me, you are trying to tell a story. They're not mutually exclusive, but the emphasis is different.

So the process would be different in that with nonfiction, you first have to educate yourself about the topic before you can move on to teaching or musing about it. In fiction, it's more about letting the story come into being.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 24 2014, 7:40pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 24 2014, 8:10pm

Post #47 of 66 (8745 views)
Shortcut
Because it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look to capture the essence and the "mood" of the book first and foremost: what does it try to say and how does it do it? I also try to bring in a personal aspect whenever possible: how did the book affect me? what kind of feelings and/or associations did it evoke in me etc.? However, though the poet in me enjoys the more informal style of the reviews, I currently feel more comfortable in the more academic, scholarly "surroundings" as I've had more practice there (I'm working on my master's thesis at the moment, for example).

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jul 24 2014, 8:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 3:00am

Post #48 of 66 (8720 views)
Shortcut
I learned "Briefhand" in high school. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly to be able to keep up during college courses! The course consisted of learning "shortcuts" for words, and was one semester - the other semester was typing. (This was back in 1970...)

ts is w u d it, i gs it wd b csdrd spd-ritg...this is how you do it, I guess it would be considered speed-writing. lmst lks lik txtg...Almost looks like texting, LOL!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 5:29pm

Post #49 of 66 (8721 views)
Shortcut
Poetry, academic papers, kids' stories, outlines for longer work... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to get this stuff moving!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 4:30pm

Post #50 of 66 (8703 views)
Shortcut
It's good to get back... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you enjoy it, I think it is a wonderful pastime and hobby. I've had my periods of work and inactivity, but it hasn't dampened my love of writing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.