NEW PIC!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 9:10pm

Post #26 of 68 (1503 views)
Shortcut
They will just CGI over the head of the staff. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's a promo shot rather than an actual shot of the movie, one wouldn't expect the CGI to be fully completed yet. Just as they CGI over the head of the staff when there's a light bulb there instead.

Why is McKellen holding his old staff in the first place? There's two probable reasons, (1) this was taken before Dol Guldur pickups/third film split, and Gandalf wasn't going to get Radagast staff yet, (2) this scene is a rehearsal, and/or he's using this prop since the other one (Radagast's) was being used elsewhere.

It's not a flashback.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 22 2014, 9:15pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:13pm

Post #27 of 68 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty darn awesome! Can't wait for the panel Saturday. Cool

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:13pm

Post #28 of 68 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't look the same to me... But you could be right. I wonder how he gets it back after Dol Guldur.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 9:16pm

Post #29 of 68 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, there's no CGI at all. It's a picture taken on set.

It very well might be a continuity error, which they might fix with CGI later.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jul 22 2014, 9:17pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:20pm

Post #30 of 68 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Why's it not a flashback? / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 9:23pm

Post #31 of 68 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Because it was taken on the ruined Dale set. ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

MTT Gandalf
Bree

Jul 22 2014, 9:25pm

Post #32 of 68 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Yes, You have right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet for the second option. Wink

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 9:25pm

Post #33 of 68 (1393 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's staff in The Hobbit and his staff in LOTR (from Radagast) look the same, just the top seems to have opened up like the staff is somewhat alive. I know this isn't the case, but thats how I see them.

davidjUK
Bree

Jul 22 2014, 9:36pm

Post #34 of 68 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's Staff [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay this is getting confusing. I first noticed on Blog 11 of Gandalf in Dale with his old staff, that Sauron destroys. Then we had the image with Bard where he has his LOTR staff, and I thought oh okay that's been corrected. Now he has his old staff again. What is going on?

This definitely isn't a flashback, what would it be a flashback of?

It's in a ruined, snowy Dale. Maybe it's just a continuity error and they will correct it before release.

(This post was edited by davidjUK on Jul 22 2014, 9:51pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 9:51pm

Post #35 of 68 (1406 views)
Shortcut
People, you can't go calling continuity error... [In reply to] Can't Post

From a behind the scenes picture with no context whatsoever.

Our destiny lies above us.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 9:53pm

Post #36 of 68 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the more plausible explanations there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about the picture indicates it's in Dale during/just prior to the BOFA. Like the other recent on set pic, it's just that, an on set pic, not an actual movie still. There's not really any reason at all to think this is a flashback in my mind, or that Gandalf gets his old staff back before re-acquiring Radagast's.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 22 2014, 9:57pm

Post #37 of 68 (1358 views)
Shortcut
I'm going with "continuity error" . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . Until the context is provided.Tongue

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 10:00pm

Post #38 of 68 (1380 views)
Shortcut
So much for a balanced viewpoint?, maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Re:

"It's all coming full circle," says Boyens, adding that the take-away from all these films is the importance of home.
"It's the ordinary, everyday folk, as Gandalf says in the first film, those are the ones who keep the darkness at bay. That is what you come to understand is more important than gold and that treasure in the mountain."

Yeah, I'm a huge Thorin fan book and movie, so I'll probably either be snarling over defending Thorin and/or just go away and polish my Orcrist replica. Because *gloomily* it's gonna be all too easy to forget (POSSIBLY) that Erebor isn't just about a pile of gold, it's Thorin's HOME, and was home of an entire people. "Let the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home." Otherwise there wasn't much point at tugging at our heartstrings here and there re the dwarves and/or Thorin - they might as well have cast the characters along the line of the Master of Laketown and spared us the dwarves in the western guardroom and like that. Not to mention the bulk of the treasure was mined by, and belongs to, dwarves.

While the Hobbit may be about the arc of the "everyman" (Bilbo) I'd like the filmmakers to remember everyone else except Bilbo has a home in danger or is already lost - including the elves re the poisoning in Mirkwood. Tho I know it's just one comment, so I shouldn't get my jeans frayed over it. Yet.Mad But I was liking the more balanced treatment the filmmakers seemed to be employing so far. Just sayin'.Unsure And Boyens probably well knows to keep it simple when talking to the press.Unimpressed
Also LOL this is beginning to remind me of the careful dribble of images last year, that really didn't show anything JUICY. Unimpressed

Oooops - too negative!Blush. Thank you for the postHeart! even if us cheating Thorin fans would have loved a new FRONT view of Thrandy, because I think the Thranduil fans have grabbed every possible Elven King image and the well has run dryTongueCoolWink.
PS. So, POSSIBLY - is this why Bofur is ostensibly supposed to come forward, somehow? Because he is sort of a symbol of a dwarf "working man?" *Sigh* I was hoping it'd be Fili who IMO was brought forward more, maybe to argue with Thorin. But again, I'm just speculating based on one tiny comment. That's what happens after my very first "doubleshot energy drink" today UnsureCrazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 10:21pm

Post #39 of 68 (1322 views)
Shortcut
May I just say..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... what a pleasure it is to see someone saying 'it's awesome' rather than 'oh no, they've got it wrong!' Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 10:22pm

Post #40 of 68 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Fair point haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that still doesn't look like Glamdring to me... maybe my eyes are playing tricks. Or maybe he has a replacement blade while Azog uses Glamdring, tehe. Evil

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 11:00pm

Post #41 of 68 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Elf in the background looks familiar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I don't have much comment on the photo itself other than "Thranduil, Gandalf and other elves in Dale, SQUEEEEEEE!"Laugh

Anyway, I was looking at the background just to see what I could see and I think we've seen one of those background elves before.

The elf I have circled in yellow^...Isn't he the elf from DOS who blew the signal horn when Legolas ordered the river gates to be closed to stop the dwarves from escaping in the barrels? It's probably not very important (I just like analyzing the new pics for every scrap of info I can find!), but I wonder if he gets a line in this scene? He's the only background elf who is looking at Thranduil and Gandalf instead of looking straight forwards like the others and he looks like he wants to say (or has just finished saying) something.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 22 2014, 11:06pm

Post #42 of 68 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Horn Guy [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, that's him.

He'll probably be blowing and tooting his horn
a lot in the next instalment.Wink

And he looks like the type of elf to not survive the battle.Unsure

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 22 2014, 11:21pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 11:40pm

Post #43 of 68 (1217 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

My pleasure. I'm jazzed to see what's to come and I love Middle-earth. It's my happy place as far as something I use (besides my wonderful chihuahuas) to not think about the days stresses. Middle-earth, it's characters, what they stand for, etc are amazing. Cool I can't help but be positive. :)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 11:59pm

Post #44 of 68 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. If they only get a couple of lines... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they're probably going to die!Tongue Poor, poor, random elf guy.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 12:39am

Post #45 of 68 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Fully agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 12:40am

Post #46 of 68 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Whoa, two pictures in two days! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loving where this is heading. Cool

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 1:13am

Post #47 of 68 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Couple of comparisons - It's definitely not Glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparison one (full sword) - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/...wing+%25282%2529.jpg

Comparison two (pommel) - https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/...7-h565-no/Pommel.jpg

Here's the pic in high res - http://www.gannett-cdn.com/...Y-1157--65995406.JPG

Maybe this prop looks different to the "hero sword" version

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 23 2014, 1:14am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 1:15am

Post #48 of 68 (1183 views)
Shortcut
We just need 22 more to have one FULL SECOND! AWESOME! No... wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgot it's in 48 fps...

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 1:30am

Post #49 of 68 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Redshirt of Mirkwood. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Retro315
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 1:34am

Post #50 of 68 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

I was more interested in two things about those Wood-elves. First? They're all brown/redheads. This jives with certain classical Tolkienana over-analyzing and a lot of those old "Was Legolas actually blonde?" debates.

The second thing is that you know ... there's a diversity of clothe in that gaggle of Wood-elves. There's richer elves and poorer elves there - or maybe I should say, "more noble, and more rustic". Some of them have well-worn hunter clothes, and some of them have a little ritzier "I'm one of Thranduil's homeboys" clothes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.