The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Favorite Tolkien quotes...again.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 7:43pm

Post #1 of 19 (3997 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Tolkien quotes...again. Can't Post

I thought it was a good time for another of these threads. Post your favorite Tolkien quotes below!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 7:55pm

Post #2 of 19 (3860 views)
Shortcut
“But I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge." / [In reply to] Can't Post

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 19 (3880 views)
Shortcut
From FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Haldir had gone on and was now climbing to the high flet. As Frodo prepared to follow him, he laid his hand upon the tree beside the ladder: never before had he been so suddenly and so keenly aware of the feel and texture of a tree's skin and of the life within it. He felt a delight in wood and the touch of it, neither as forester nor as carpenter; it was the delight of the living tree itself.

Rarely has a passage from a book spoken to me the way this does.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 8:12pm

Post #4 of 19 (3870 views)
Shortcut
One of my own [In reply to] Can't Post

During Frodo and Sam's trek through Mordor:

Far above the Ephel Duath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he look up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 9:27pm

Post #5 of 19 (3850 views)
Shortcut
Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. [In reply to] Can't Post

Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them.

Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar'ni Pheriannath!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 9:34pm

Post #6 of 19 (3847 views)
Shortcut
In the Barrow-wight's den [In reply to] Can't Post

"There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow. Frodo was neither very fat nor very timid..."

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 4:28am

Post #7 of 19 (3840 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily my absolute favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always loved, "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

TolkienBlog.com

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 4:47am

Post #8 of 19 (3842 views)
Shortcut
But when the dawn came, cold and pale, Aragorn arose at once [In reply to] Can't Post

and he led the Company forth upon the journey of the greatest haste and weariness that any among them had known, save he alone, and only his will held them to go on. No other mortal Men could have enured it, none but the Dunedain of the North, and with them Gimli the Dwarf and Legolas of the Elves." (The Passing of the Grey Company, ROTK) One great example of why I think Tolkien is the greatest writer.

and

"...and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." (The Shadow of the Past, FOTR)

I love these two quotes, and the chapters in which they reside.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jul 24 2014, 6:34pm

Post #9 of 19 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 24 2014, 8:13pm

Post #10 of 19 (3810 views)
Shortcut
Steel serves only those that can wield it… [In reply to] Can't Post

…it will cut your hand as easily as aught else.

(Children of Hurin)

It's what I tell my daughter- who is very handy with tools, but inclined to get a bit overconfident.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 24 2014, 9:49pm

Post #11 of 19 (3804 views)
Shortcut
If she veers toward overconfidence [In reply to] Can't Post

you might also warn her to never laugh at live dragons. Just in case.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 3:38pm

Post #12 of 19 (3785 views)
Shortcut
"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long." [In reply to] Can't Post

"We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall. Frar and Loni and Nali fell there. The pool is up to the wall at the Westgate. The Watcher in the water took Oin. We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."

Chills and a sense of Doom...every time.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 12:48am

Post #13 of 19 (3776 views)
Shortcut
That book within the book [In reply to] Can't Post

leaves me wanting to know more. And not a patchy series of notes in HOME or some other volume, but a full-fledged story, because the hints of one are so tantalizing, and their fate is haunting.

Though on a lighter yet still macabre note, I'm tempted to have that inscribed on my tombstone to scare future generations in cemeteries: "I cannot get out."

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 6:18am

Post #14 of 19 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an amazing idea. I love it.

TolkienBlog.com

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 11:38am

Post #15 of 19 (3744 views)
Shortcut
for the full effect... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though on a lighter yet still macabre note, I'm tempted to have that inscribed on my tombstone to scare future generations in cemeteries: "I cannot get out."

For the full effect, you could get an accomplice to scrawl "they are coming...!" a few days later...

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 11:40am

Post #16 of 19 (3733 views)
Shortcut
"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." [In reply to] Can't Post

...is also most useful for a parent (regarding things such as homework, room-tidying etc.)

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 6:05pm

Post #17 of 19 (3719 views)
Shortcut
And of course "There's nothing like looking, if you want to find something." [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder whether the Tolkien children heard that a few times?

~~~~~~

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 4:24am

Post #18 of 19 (3713 views)
Shortcut
That would be one of the best tombstones ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

CuriousG, that's awesome. Smile

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 7:21pm

Post #19 of 19 (3741 views)
Shortcut
Ooh!! Ooh! I'll do it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

He simply needs to add a clause to his will, naming me his official tombstone-scrawler/de-facer. Just to be clear though, CuriousG, I need it spelt out clearly in ink, so as to avoid exchanging un-pleasantries with the Local Authorities. Tongue What should I use? Graffiti paint or goat's blood? Sly

By the way.... is it too terribly morbid to have a small part of me wish that someone would die, just so that I can do this? Laugh My! We are quite the macabre bunch!! Crazy

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.