Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Own the Remastered Deluxe Editions of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Return of the King' on July 22
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 21 2014, 3:50pm

Post #1 of 28 (5002 views)
Shortcut
Own the Remastered Deluxe Editions of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Return of the King' on July 22 Can't Post

On July 22nd, Warner Bros. will be reissuing remastered, deluxe editions of the Rankin/Bass animated classics 'The Hobbit' and 'The Return of the King'.

1000457866DVDFLTO_7e51c831

The Hobbit Deluxe Edition Synopsis: [Amazon.com]

The place is Middle Earth. The time is long ago, when humans shared their days with elves, wizards, goblins, dragons, heroes…and hobbits. Bilbo Baggins is a hero and a hobbit, a roundish, peaceable homebody going on a dangerous quest - even though adventures make hobbits late for dinner!

In this enchanting adaptation of the first installment of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Bilbo the hobbit is asked to recover a fabulous treasure stolen from friendly dwarfs. All he must do is brave dark forests, towering mountains, hobbit-eating trolls, huge spiders, a fiery dragon and more. Fun and amazement await - so join the quest!

00316968 (1)

Special Features:

• J.R.R. Tolkien Facts & Trivia

• Cast & Crew credits

• From the Vault: 3 WB classic cartoons: 'Knight-mare Hare', 'Knighty Knight Bugs', and 'Rabbit Hood'

• Trailers: 'Tom and Jerry & The Lost Dragon', 'LEGO: Legends of Chima', 'LEGO: Hobbit', 'Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy'

Format: Multiple Formats, Animated, Color, Full Screen, NTSC, Original recording remastered

Language: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: NR (Not Rated)
Run Time: 78 minutes
[Buy on Amazon.com]

My Thoughts:  It's been many years since I last saw this, and I had forgotten how much I loved the voice talent: Orson Bean as Bilbo, John Huston as Gandalf, Otto Preminger as a very German Thranduil/Elvenking, and (my favorite) 1960's Surrealist comic Brother Theodore as Gollum.  Picture and sound are both superb.  A great soundtrack by Glen Yarbrough.

'The greatest adventure is what lies ahead
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said
The chances the changes are all yours to make
The mold of your life is in your hands to break"

1000457848DVDFLTO_eb558bb0 (1)

The Return of the King Deluxe Edition Synopsis: [Amazon.com]

Frodo the Hobbit, the remarkable hero of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, battles more evil forces plaguing Middle Earth in The Return of the King.

The Magic Ring of The Hobbit has now become the Ring of Doom - and to restore peace it must be destroyed in the raging fires in which it was made. Chosen for the task, Frodo and faithful servant Samwise face grave perils - the worst of which is the ring's terrible power to possess its wearer. Will Frodo give in to the madness of the ring....or will he fulfill his quest?

00318270 (1)

Special Features:

• J.R.R. Tolkien Facts & Trivia

• Cast & Crew Credits

• From the Vault: WB cartoon shorts 'Good Knight Droppy' and 'Jerry Hood & His Merry Meeses'

• Trailers: 'LEGO: Hobbit', 'Tom and Jerry & the Lost Dragon', 'LEGO: Legends of Chima', 'Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy'

Format: Multiple Formats, Animated, Color, Full Screen, NTSC, Original recording remastered

Language: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: NR (Not Rated)
Run Time: 98 minutes
[Buy on Amazon.com]

My Thoughts:  It's a shame Rankin/Bass didn't have the chance to do 'The Fellowship of the Ring' and 'The Two Towers', as 'The Return of the King' doesn't do a great job of filling in the story for those that may be unfamiliar with the first two books. The mispronunciations are a little annoying, too.  Still, the film is a lot of fun to watch; the Ringwraiths are fantastic, as is Eowyn's confrontation with the Witch King of Angmar.  As with 'The Hobbit', the picture, sound, and voice talent are all top-notch.  Orson Bean, John Huston, Otto Preminger, and Brother Theodore reprise their roles; new additions include the great Roddy McDowell as Samwise Gamgee, and Casey Kasem as Merry.  Best of all,  'The Return of the King' includes (in this writer's humble opinion) one of the greatest Tolkien-inspired songs of all time:

"Where there's a whip, there's a way.
Where there's a whip, there's a way.
We don't wanna go to war today,
But the lord of the lash says nay, nay, nay!
We're gonna march all day, all day, all day,
Cause where there's a whip, there's a way."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 1:39pm

Post #2 of 28 (4805 views)
Shortcut
Three questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Is this lovingly remastered like the Bakshi DVD, or just repackaged?

2. Will they be on Blu-ray?

3. Will they be available for the first time in the UK?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 28 (4792 views)
Shortcut
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, so these were both originally made for television with a standard aspect ratio. That means, to covert them to 1.78:1, the top and bottom of the picture has to be cut off.

Some deluxe treatment. Thanks, but no thanks.

Oh, and that cover art is terrible.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 2:52pm

Post #4 of 28 (4799 views)
Shortcut
If you click the link to the site, then look at the back of the DVD package... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a box "standard version presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition"

Of course it didn't have a theatrical exhibition because it's a TV special. But still, this seems to imply there are possibly two aspect ratio options?

I'm very intrigued by these because I've only ever seen bad pirate copies online - it was never released officially in the UK. But I agree the packaging is terrible, even though it ties in with the rest of WB's LOTR collections.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 22 2014, 2:53pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 3:00pm

Post #5 of 28 (4787 views)
Shortcut
The thing about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

The exact same statement is on the back of my DVD copy of Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit which is in the standard television aspect ratio, NOT widescreen. This leads me to conclude that WHV has indeed shaved the top and bottom portions of the picture to achieve a widescreen effect. The same thing was done with the Batman: Mask of the Phantasm animated film (which was originally produced as a direct-to-video movie even though it was released in theaters first).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 28 (4791 views)
Shortcut
Does this clip help... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/jyA-7JA6qpw

How that quality is considered "remastered" I don't know.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 3:08pm

Post #7 of 28 (4788 views)
Shortcut
Although their clip from PJ's version is also in a different aspect ratio [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/5ayH3BtNjNE

16:9! So who knows. Frown

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 3:17pm

Post #8 of 28 (4791 views)
Shortcut
I take back what I posted before. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just compared the clip with my DVD copy. It looks like the film was made at a slightly wider aspect ratio than what was shown on the original television broadcast. Good to know; I stand corrected!

The cover art is still hideous.

Ed Liu has posted a review at Toon Zone of both of the remastered releases.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 22 2014, 3:20pm)

Name
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 4:36pm

Post #9 of 28 (4783 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the art is exceptionally bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know it was possible to make those characters look worse than they did in the movies. I stand corrected.

I'm kidding of course. That's my childhood right there!

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 5:21pm

Post #10 of 28 (4779 views)
Shortcut
Great review, thanks for sharing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they come to the UK sometime. Maybe with different cover art Smile

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 28 (4774 views)
Shortcut
sound [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if this release will restore some of the original sound effects and lines of dialogue that were randomly missing in the original DVD release. If so, I might have to pick this up just because it was the movie that started my obsession with Tolkien, and it would be nice to finally own a version that hasn't been messed with.

The cover art is pretty ugly, but at least the Return of the King cover doesn't have random characters on it that weren't even in the movie like the other one did.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 22 2014, 5:51pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 6:43pm

Post #12 of 28 (4776 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy to report that the audio is FIXED. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just popped in the new DVD of The Hobbit, and the music is mixed correctly and you can hear the dialogue. Picture quality is about as good as can be expected (considering the animation). I can also confirm that the aspect ratio IS 1.33:1 (4x3). The only downside really is the menu design, which somehow looks even more amateur than the original DVD (thanks WB! Frown). But that hardly matters once you hit play.

Would have liked Blu-ray versions, but the fixed audio is enough to make this purchase well worth it. Buy with confidence!

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 22 2014, 6:43pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 6:51pm

Post #13 of 28 (4762 views)
Shortcut
What do you think are the chances of a blu-ray release in future? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure the only reason these are being released is because of The Hobbit hype. So I personally don't see much promise in a future Blu-ray or 4K release in future, unless there are other Middle-earth projects in the works.

I just worry about buying these DVDs and then hearing about a Blu-ray version a few months later -.- It wouldn't surprise me, knowing how WB likes to take advantage of their customers.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 6:55pm

Post #14 of 28 (4766 views)
Shortcut
It's a risk... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but they did release a DVD and Blu-ray simultaneously for Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. So I suspect the might not have the elements for a Blu-ray release. The Lord of the Rings was probably different because it got a theatrical release and they were likely able to use a film print to source a high def master.

I'm watching it right now, and the transfer holds up really well on my HDTV (better than most live action DVDs). So I personally think it's worth getting. But there's probably no harm in waiting a while if you're still concerned.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 22 2014, 7:04pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 7:12pm

Post #15 of 28 (4762 views)
Shortcut
audio mix [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear that the music isn't too loud to able able to hear the dialogue. I remember that being a big problem with the black arrow scene.

But did they add the missing sound effects and dialogue back in?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 7:19pm

Post #16 of 28 (4762 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm not familiar enough with the cartoon to be able to answer that. I just noticed the music being properly balanced with the rest of the mix (I tested the Thorin death scene first and was elated to be able to hear his dialogue).

- Viggo Mortensen

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 7:26pm

Post #17 of 28 (4757 views)
Shortcut
sound problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Every release after around 2000 has had missing sound effects and bits of dialogue from the original version.

I can't remember them all now, but here are things that have been missing in the newer releases:

-the thrush chirping before Smaug wakes up (instead of just bobbing his head silently)
-strange sound effect when the spiders are killed
-the spiders screaming after saying "We are no match for Sting!"
-a line or two before Bilbo sees the Lonely Mountain and says "I had come far and through many adventures to see it..."
-actually being able to hear the dwarves complaining while in the barrels before Bilbo says "Oh stop complaining."

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 22 2014, 7:27pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 7:40pm

Post #18 of 28 (4750 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it sounds like those things are still missing. I didn't hear the spiders screaming after saying "We are no match for Sting!", nor did I hear the dwarves complaining while in the barrels.

Sorry for the bad news. Unsure Strange that they fixed the music, but it's still missing certain things.

Sorry for announcing the audio being fixed. Like I said, I'm not overly familiar with the original mix. I'd probably only seen the cartoon once or twice before the 2001 DVD release. Still, the music being fixed does make it a much better experience.

- Viggo Mortensen

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 7:56pm

Post #19 of 28 (4755 views)
Shortcut
Guys, IGNORE my original post. I think I was wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me for what I think now was a premature verdict on the new DVD.

I just went back and listened to the old DVD and it sounds quite similar to the new one. Even the Thorin death scene, which I remembered being drowned out by the music, seems to be the same.

Very strange indeed - my memory must have been playing tricks on me. I really thought I remembered the music being even worse than it evidently was.

I grew suspicious when I realized that the mix was still missing certain dialogue and Sound FX. Forgive me for this error guys. Seems like this may not be worth the purchase after all.

Unsure

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 22 2014, 7:58pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 7:57pm

Post #20 of 28 (4749 views)
Shortcut
Nevermind about my praise... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry Mooseboy018, see my below post for specifics - but it seems that I was mistaken about the music mix. Seems my memory betrayed me. My apologies.

- Viggo Mortensen

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 8:01pm

Post #21 of 28 (4751 views)
Shortcut
I take back my recommendation, QuackingTroll... [In reply to] Can't Post

See my post below. I was mistaken about the music after all.

- Viggo Mortensen

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 8:32pm

Post #22 of 28 (4741 views)
Shortcut
That's disappointing. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's disappointing that Warner Bros. got so lazy with this "remastered release." What's the point of calling it "remastered" if it doesn't even fix obvious problems that have been around for over a decade?

Thanks for letting us know.

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 10:24am

Post #23 of 28 (4734 views)
Shortcut
Did no one spot the howler in the synopsis of The Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

"In this enchanting adaptation of the first installment of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings trilogy,"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 9:43pm

Post #24 of 28 (4715 views)
Shortcut
Picked them both up yesterday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the 1978 LOTR adaption back when it was released in... 2010 was it? Or 2011 I think. Anyway, had to pick these two up, and glad the cover arts all match. They even did a color scheme ala LOTR, with the green for the first film, red for the second, and blue for the third. Pretty neat.

Although I wish they would have released them on Blu-ray like the LOTR animated film. Is it because the aspect ratio wasn't stretched like with LOTR so the Blu-ray wouldn't have worked?

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 9:28am

Post #25 of 28 (4716 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* Fantastic! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

So much of these animated flicks are cring-worthy, but that's part of their charm! For so long, these were the only vessels we had to journey to Middle-earth... so I'm delighted that they're getting a face-lift and attention once again.

*geeky happy dance*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.