Movie Tech. Disc. 6 - Building Middle-earth: Costumes
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 17 2008, 12:43am

Post #51 of 84 (520 views)
Shortcut
A calico is also called a muslin [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a mock-up made out of a cheap cotton fabric (usually muslin, aka calico). It's almost a must for anyone creating their own patterns, especially if it's a complicated design or something that will need to be tweaked before the final costume is made.

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 17 2008, 6:57am

Post #52 of 84 (509 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I guessed correctly, but I wasn't sure. It's been too long - but I've already started another round of watching extras Wink

That I do hope, too, even if I have my doubts if they could keep them all, remembering this big room full of costumes. Maybe they kept at least the "originals" for the actors, even if not the ones for all the doubles. And I don't want to think about how Ngila and her team feel if all these wonderful costumes would be destroyed ... Frown No, I prefer to cling to my hope ...

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 17 2008, 6:59am

Post #53 of 84 (511 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

And at the end of the list you'll have to put a bigger house, to have enough space to place all of these treasures Wink

But I love your ideas Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2008, 8:07am

Post #54 of 84 (519 views)
Shortcut
Destroying costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

Much as I respect the Tolkiens, I would detest them if their stubbornness caused these beautiful costumes to be destroyed just because noone could put them to any use.

As protectors of JRR Tolkien's masterpiece, I personally feel they should in fact support the preservation of these many masterpieces that were lovingly created for the films. I hate to think how it would break dear Ngila Dickson's heart to see her hard work be destroyed like that.

Now I wonder, for whatever legal reason PJ can't use the movie props in a museum, does that also prevent him from auctioning off these for charity? At least that would mean they won't be destroyed. Even if they go into the hands of personal collectors, just knowing they exist would mean a lot.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 17 2008, 8:55am

Post #55 of 84 (520 views)
Shortcut
Wholeheartedly agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if CT writes a book about his reasons, I'll never understand what's wrong with this museum Unsure
Imagine a row of the same costume - say Frodo or Sam's - from their leaving Bag End up to the rags preserved in Minas Tirith after the Quest, how they were aged to match their journey. That would be so interesting! *sigh*

Even if I probably never got to visit this museum, it would be enough to know it exists and preserves all these wonderful props. And maybe there would be a very, very thick catalogue ... I'd order it at once, even if I have to have it shipped around the world. Well, I'll continue to hope ... maybe one day ...

Hm, auctioning off the props? Hadn't thought of that before. Still sad, but better than getting destroyed, yes. But, and that's a very big BUT:
Only if PJ does this, as I trust him to truly give all of the profit to charity. As long as New Line owns anything of these props - no way (I'm not sure about the ownership just now). After their all too creative accounting, I'm mad enough at them not to want them to get even one more cent - and I'd certainly not trust them not to keep part of the money for themselves.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2008, 2:28pm

Post #56 of 84 (519 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* You know what I'd LOVE to have? [In reply to] Can't Post

Book ends of Bilbo and Frodo each sitting at the writing desk in Bag End. Ohhhhh... that would be lovely!?

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 17 2008, 2:29pm)

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 3:23pm

Post #57 of 84 (501 views)
Shortcut
We also have to do The Hobbit! // [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 3:24pm

Post #58 of 84 (498 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh...that WOULD be lovely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 3:26pm

Post #59 of 84 (506 views)
Shortcut
I wish… [In reply to] Can't Post

that I knew what the whole story is. Who has what, who owns what, what are the legalities, what is the reasoning? It is all very frustrating. Probably, nothing can happen at all until the next movies are done and over.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 3:28pm

Post #60 of 84 (505 views)
Shortcut
To know it exists [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if I probably never got to visit this museum, it would be enough to know it exists and preserves all these wonderful props.

I agree completely. If there ever is a museum it would very, very likely be in New Zealand (where it should be) and I would never get to see it. But, that would be just fine. If they asked for donations to help build it, I would contribute. It would be enough to know it exists. If they sold DVD tours though, that would be great.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2008, 5:45pm

Post #61 of 84 (502 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see a few museums [In reply to] Can't Post

in different countries: NZ, England, US (near one of the universities that works with Tolkien's legendarium), and have the exhibitions changing as clothes and props are shifted between them. That would open up the material to a large audience and also keep the exhibitions fresh over a long period.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2008, 7:39pm

Post #62 of 84 (500 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

With the ridiculous amount of money PJ now has, he is keeping many things in storage until they can have a permanent museum? XD One can only hope that those beautiful costumes haven't been destroyed, along with so many of the props! I want that Rivendell model, myself...

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 17 2008, 7:42pm

Post #63 of 84 (498 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Imladris is still my favourite bigature. In my study I've a picture of Rivendell - as I didn't get the model, I had to take what I got ;-(

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 8:18pm

Post #64 of 84 (495 views)
Shortcut
That would be terrific! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a great idea. And every time they would change things around it would be a perfect reason to have TORN moots!

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 8:24pm

Post #65 of 84 (509 views)
Shortcut
Wedding rings [In reply to] Can't Post

When Alcarcalime and I got married, back in 1986, we decided that we wanted our wedding rings to be Tolkienish. We looked and looked until we found something that we thought looked Elvish, and I searched through the books for something that we could have engraved inside the rings. I came up with “The road goes ever on and on” for my ring and “Let them a journey new begin” for her ring. Alcarcalime then wrote this up in Tengwar (English mode). Then we had to find someone to do the engraving, so we searched around until we found someone that did hand engraving. We told him that it was a foreign language. He never asked any questions, but said, “Sure, I can do it.” Here is the result.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 17 2008, 10:23pm

Post #66 of 84 (494 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

And how clever of you to have them engraved in Elvish.

After mumbledy-ump years, the Gaffer and I replaced our original wedding rings with ones made of Irish gold, with a Celtic design that could be either Elvish or Rohirric, depending. No interior engraving, though. I need to work on that.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 18 2008, 12:17am

Post #67 of 84 (499 views)
Shortcut
I love your rings! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I opened your post I said, “OH WOW!” and Alcarcalime came in saying that she had to see what prompted that. When she saw your rings she said the same thing. I love Celtic things and so does Alcarcalime. Part of my ancestry is Scots, Irish, and Welsh and I call myself Celtic. I haven’t learned that much about it yet, but it makes me feel good. Alcarcalime, being descended from Vikings, loves Celtic knot work also. Anyway, we both think that your rings are gorgeous. Thank you for the picture.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 18 2008, 7:11am

Post #68 of 84 (488 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the idea to have elvish rings with Tengwar letters, and your rings are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

You know, the more I'm reading here at TORn, the more I realise I'm not as obsessed as I thought. There are enough people who beat me in that Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 18 2008, 7:13am

Post #69 of 84 (487 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And I want one in Germany, please!!

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 18 2008, 11:01am

Post #70 of 84 (486 views)
Shortcut
Obsessed? [In reply to] Can't Post

No one here obsessed!Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 18 2008, 11:48am

Post #71 of 84 (483 views)
Shortcut
Of course not [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

*sigh*
Amazon informs me that the Alan Lee sketchbook will be delivered today, BUT 'The Frodo Franchise' will be delayed probably until March 4.-11. somewhere ... *growls* Wants it now!!

Elven
Valinor

Feb 19 2008, 2:57pm

Post #72 of 84 (488 views)
Shortcut
Im late! [In reply to] Can't Post

*rushes in* Smile

I made a post a couple of days ago and the computer ate it ... I havent had the heart to return until now ... but ...
I just loved the jewelry in the movie, even though the 'Ring' sort of outshone other pieces Wink and really, the movie was all about a piece of jewelry, wasn't it? Wink The ring was the Star!! Cool Jewelry Rules! Long live the Bling from the LOT Rings! Crazy Laugh

But I thought I would just post a few picks of my favourite pieces ...

The necklaces and circlets that the Elven maidens are wearing are great - especially I like the one on the far left - it 'seems' to be a wire work piece, and is very fitting around the neck, and very Elvish in design! ... (I would have prefered a different circlet than the one they used - something that matched the necklace) ... but the circlet in itself is lovely too.

I loved Eowyn jewelry - the dark blue stones made into flowers, and the gold intricate and delicate wire work in the circlet ... and her earings!! a lovely combination.
I also liked the necklace she wears for the funeral ... almost like a charm necklace ... something of great significance maybe?

[inline "ttt0595 Eowyns circlet & Earings 1.jpg"]

Below: Eowyns circlet up close ... this picture was posted by Arwen's Daughter on the costume thread ... thanks AD Wink

I loved the story on the Elven brooch too.
Such an elegant design.
I wont post a pic, Im sure we all know which one I'm refering too Wink

I like making jewelry myself - and go through lots of different design stages ... if I ever manage to recreate one of the circlets ... especially Eowyns ... I'll post it one day Wink ... here are some of my latest designs ... not to everyones taste ... but they are pendants made up of a precious stones ... more relate to the sea ...

All the pieces are about the size of about a matchbox.
Green stone - copper flex wire, glass Japanese seed beads.
Black onyx, 9ct gold wire, pearls, crystals and glass Japanese seed beads - Russian Doll pendant - 9ct gold wire, selection of glass seed beads.
Prayer Beads with Ironstone heart - hematite and tiger's iron on 9ct gold handmade links.

Thanks for another wonderful week of great discussion everyone!

Cheers
Elven x

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

(This post was edited by Elven on Feb 19 2008, 3:06pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 19 2008, 5:53pm

Post #73 of 84 (476 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

You made them yourself? Now I am quite speechless ... Great work, Elven! I am sure it takes a lot of time to make one of these little treasures, but the time is worth it!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 19 2008, 8:49pm

Post #74 of 84 (473 views)
Shortcut
Your jewelry is beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the colors you've used. I'm amazed by anyone who can work on such a small scale and with metal. Fabric I can shape to my will, but metal and I don't get along so well. Wink

I've always liked that they keep the jewelry to a minimum on the main character in LOTR. Eowyn has a few pieces which are reused through the films and Arwen wears only the Evenstar, which she has to share with Aragorn Cool. And yet they have no qualms about using it for background characters. Another film team might decide that if the main characters don't need jewelry then neither do the background characters. But PJ et al. let the jewelry show her stuff in scenes like this.

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 20 2008, 12:11am

Post #75 of 84 (455 views)
Shortcut
I have never… [In reply to] Can't Post

really noticed the jewelry being worn by people who were not main characters. You have kind of opened my eyes here. I wonder how much of it there is. A person could probably spend quite a bit of time looking at each and every item. Now there’s a thought.

Eowyn seems to have ended up with a lot of nice costumes and jewelry in these movies. I don’t know what it is, but I think that Eowyn’s jewelry is particularly beautiful.

The jewelry that you’ve made looks great! It’s nice to know all the different things that were used to make them. I like to know those kind of things. I hope that we get to see some more sometime.

Thanks, Elven.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.