Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 3:06am

Post #1 of 66 (1079 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2014, 12:44pm

Post #2 of 66 (764 views)
Shortcut
Just watched The Million Dollar Arm yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

and liked it very much. For me, this has been a great summer so far for the "smaller" movies. Million Dollar Arm is based on a true story of a baseball talent search in India, and it's a movie that I would say has heart and charm and it kept me interested from start to finish because I cared about the characters. The deliberate contrast between India and the U.S. was also pretty interesting and nicely handled without making anyone look stupid or clownish. A nice movie.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

acheron
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 1:45pm

Post #3 of 66 (767 views)
Shortcut
The Road [In reply to] Can't Post

That $!#%ing movie... (note I have not read the book though it is something I have meant to read eventually)

I didn't literally cry the entire two hours, but there was a lot of crying. Multiple times during the movie I said to myself "why the $#@# am I watching this?" And I was kind of drained for the next couple days after watching it too.

On a personal note, in general I have trouble controlling my emotions where my son is concerned. So, you know. The movie pretty much punched me in the feels over and over.

I mean, it was a good, powerful movie experience. Viggo Mortensen and the boy both were incredible. Cinematography was fantastic. But I don't know if I would ever watch it again, and I'm not sure I "enjoyed" watching it the first time.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 2:08pm

Post #4 of 66 (758 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping to catch this at my local second run theater this week [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I would go today but the heat index is supposed to be 100-110 and I think I'll stay home. If I don't catch it at the theater, I'll surely rent it.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 2:09pm

Post #5 of 66 (744 views)
Shortcut
There are some movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that are worthy without being 'enjoyable'.

I haven't seen The Road but I get what you're saying. And I'd suggest you steer clear of Grave of the Fireflies. I watched it when my kids were grown and I knew I'd never have been able to handle it when they were little.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 66 (896 views)
Shortcut
Endeavour: Neverland (spoilers as far as the eye can see) [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL IF YOU HAVEN'T YET WATCHED THIS! My jaw dropped at the conclusion of last night’s Endeavour. I mean, seriously? A cliffhanger, when a brief check of the internet shows no plans to film any more episodes? The stories have complex and convoluted plots. I get that. But not only has the police corruption plot been done many times by many different crime shows (and yes, corruption happens, I realize that), but they also had to drag in the child-abuse plot? Oh my yes, that happens in real life too, and terribly so, but still, in these crime dramas it’s become a short-hand way of saying, “Look, these are Bad Guys!” (There was a very similar story on one of the early Inspector Gently episodes.) The police are actually going around killing other cops? And what’s with the preposterous bit with Morse’s scarf? And since they ended last season with Morse being shot, they have to end this season with Thursday being shot---something that was clearly signaled by his “I’ll be a cop until I die” speech a few minutes earlier. And, and.... Well, I’m greatly dissatisfied and disappointed and there’s quite a bad taste in my mouth now. Guess I’ll have to watch a couple of the BBC Three Musketeers episodes, which are cheerfully ridiculous and have great male eye-candy, to cheer myself up Tongue

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 2:47pm

Post #7 of 66 (758 views)
Shortcut
Pacific Rim, Thor 2, Rush, Identity Thief, and [In reply to] Can't Post

a few episodes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (really liking this one so far).

I was surprised how much more I appreciated Pacific Rim this time around. I mean I loved it when it first came out, but it gets better every time I see it.

Rush was just as good the second time around.

Identity Thief: while quite funny it also does a good job of exploring issues surrounding restorative justice and victim-hood.

Thor 2. Mind blowing design throughout. Strangely, the parts with Portman and crew are the least compelling aspects of the film... it felt like their story was just stapled to the film proper.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 21 2014, 2:47pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2014, 4:15pm

Post #8 of 66 (729 views)
Shortcut
Also there was some Indian music in it that I just loved. [In reply to] Can't Post

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 4:37pm

Post #9 of 66 (742 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug - first time [In reply to] Can't Post

meh.

Some background on me as a reviewer of this movie. I really did not like the first Hobbit movie. I waited until the second one hit DVD, and then waited until I could get it from Netflix, and the disc has literally been sitting in its Netflix envelope in my house since May. That's how unexcited I was to watch this movie.

I went into this movie fairly unspoiled (though no one who spends any time in the funny threads on Main could avoid the Tauriel/dwarf connection). I had heard that it was better than AUJ and went into it with mildly high hopes, I suppose.

I think that my biggest problem with this movie is the pacing. That's not to say the lack of character development, plot holes, or other flaws aren't major concerns as well, but I think a lot of the flaws tie into the pacing of the film. It starts out at a dead run, somewhat literally, and never really seems to slow down. I counted 7 major chase scenes in the movie that were generally more and more ridiculous as things went along. If you consider action as a character, then it was the only character that got much development at all. Because the quiet, character driven moments were either missing or completely drowned out by all the running.

And I'm not the kind of person who hates action movies as a whole. Avengers, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc. All great action movies. But the action has to ebb and flow. And the action sequences should feel different from each other. It has to build to something. There has to be room for character development so that you care about what happens at the end of a chase.

I could probably rant for a while, but let's just say I didn't care for the movie.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 5:01pm

Post #10 of 66 (715 views)
Shortcut
wikipedia says: [In reply to] Can't Post

A. R. Rahman composed all seven of the original songs as well as the score for the film.

Have you seen Outsourced (the movie... not the tv series)? If not, you might check it out. Not having seen Million Dollar Arm yet, I can't say how similar the two might be. But I enjoyed it.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 5:05pm

Post #11 of 66 (747 views)
Shortcut
if you care [In reply to] Can't Post

here are my two reviews. They're long... and you may not care. But I think I share some kinship with you on this movie.

Desolation of Smaug - epic ramble on the nature of things that ends with a spoiler free 'reaction' of the movie

Desolation of SMAUG - the spoilery review

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 7:08pm

Post #12 of 66 (721 views)
Shortcut
We do indeed share some kinship here [In reply to] Can't Post

Your comparison to Prince of Persia is interesting to me because that's another movie that I liked for absolutely no reason. But I watched it with friends and we had a great time watching it and talking through it, so maybe I connect those feelings to the experience rather than the movie.

I've liked a lot of movies in the past that aren't "good" movies. But when it comes down to it, a lot of my favorite movies are movies that a lot of people would call boring. So I suppose that it's not a great surprise that I don't connect well with these Hobbit movies.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Kim
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 7:19pm

Post #13 of 66 (705 views)
Shortcut
Now You See Me [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a fun, entertaining movie about a group of magicians who pull off a heist as part of their combined magic show (or do they?). It's got some good twists and turns, although I did figure out the big twist well before the end. It kind of reminded me of Ocean's Eleven in the way the story was revealed. And a fun cast, including Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson and Isla Fisher.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 66 (697 views)
Shortcut
Breaking Bad...Clone Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the wife and I took the plunge this month and killed our cable. Gone. So, now we are on Netflix, which means we are full-time binge-watchers. We started Breaking Bad when it started, but for various reasons, didn't continue past season one. So, this weekend we started at the beginning and will be inching our way through the series. I am also going through Clone Wars from the start...as I'm not sure I have seen them all yet....so I started that this past week as well....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 9:52pm

Post #15 of 66 (709 views)
Shortcut
Just watching The Book Thief..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... and think it's a beautifully crafted film (so far - not at the end yet). I read the book once, some years ago now, but the adaptation feels faithful from what I remember. the subject matter is quite grim, as in the book, but there's a warmth and a lightness of touch there that draw you in, and the characters are interesting and well-cast. Enjoying it very much so far.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 3:31am

Post #16 of 66 (679 views)
Shortcut
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally got to see this film! I found it thoroughly enjoyable and engaging. Although the story line was pretty stock - no surprises there, and although I thought it tried too hard to make us want the co-existence of the apes and the humans, on the whole it was a really great ride.

I must say, I thought Gary Oldman was once again wasted on a role beneath his acting chops. But I liked the fact that he was in it nevertheless. This movie has really showcased Weta Digital's advances in translating motion performance to the screen! Superb job!

Which brings me to Andy Serkis. Without his marvelous portrayal in performance capture of Ceasar, this movie would be just another B film, I think. He was without question the star of this movie. His work just seems to get better and better. Someone give this man an Oscar already!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 3:34am

Post #17 of 66 (670 views)
Shortcut
I heard that was good [In reply to] Can't Post

I love heist/con movies. I have yet to see this one, though.

I started watching Attack on Titan last night (dub). It's good, but it's so intense...

TolkienBlog.com

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 3:40am

Post #18 of 66 (675 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of watching Attack on Titan [In reply to] Can't Post

(subtitled)

I've watched about a dozen episodes maybe? It is intense. So far, it hasn't quite captured me. I don't think it helps that the episodes are so short and the opening and closing credits are so long. It's like a nut that takes a lot of work to crack.

I liked Now You See Me quite a lot, as well.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 22 2014, 3:41am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 8:03am

Post #19 of 66 (677 views)
Shortcut
I have vivid memories [In reply to] Can't Post

of exiting the theatre after seeing this and being absolutely disoriented by the bright sunshine and people going about their day. I had to stop and sit down for a minute. The green trees and the sound of birdsong was incredible after the absolute bleakness I had just experienced. It was the hardest re-entry into real life immediately after seeing a film I've ever had. (I nearly got run over by a tram when I came out from The Piano, but that's another story.)
It's actually quite weird thinking about it now as that lovely old theatre is gone now, along with 80% of the rest of the central city.

I have watched The Road a couple of times since then, and read the book, which is very good if you can stomach it.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 1:53pm

Post #20 of 66 (655 views)
Shortcut
I took Captain America and DOS with me on my work trip [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched Cap and then DOS.

I've seen Cap a number of time now (good popcorn movie with the kids) and I guess I never paid attention to RA's character much. He disappeared into into it so well that I didn't notice the accent was a pretty good American (who was really supposed to be German and is played by an Englishman... hmm... and who said "comic book movies" aren't deep). And Chris Evans? He's just kinda one of those likeable guys to me. I want to make sure someone is feeding him right and I keep hoping he'll find a nice girl... not like that brother of his... anyway...

As for DOS - still love it. Still love most of the extras that SPJ threw in to flesh out some of the story lines. Still love the costuming, the attention to detail in set design... still love the wonderful shots - Laketown "burning" in the rising sun, the cavernous spaces inside Erebor. I love the way they made Smaug move. It made so much sense to me. And of course my favorite scene is still Thorin setting foot in Erebor for the first time in years. "I know these walls..." Gets me every time.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 3:05pm

Post #21 of 66 (652 views)
Shortcut
Endeavor [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only just gotten into this show in the last few weeks, but it's quickly become one of my favorites. That said, I agree with you about the cliffhanger last night. My wife and I were both floored, especially because there's no knowing when the show is going to come back.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 22 2014, 4:13pm

Post #22 of 66 (653 views)
Shortcut
After coming to the party about 9 years late [In reply to] Can't Post

...My husband and I just finished watching through Doctor Who!
We only started a few months ago so it's weird to be done! We've greatly enjoyed it, though, and are looking forward to season 8 coming out soon Smile

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 4:54pm

Post #23 of 66 (641 views)
Shortcut
Downton season 4 premiere [In reply to] Can't Post

Just watched the premiere episode over lunch. I've seen the whole season before, but I felt like rewatching this. It's very good on rewatch. I was very much disappointed with the way Matthew's death was written at the end of the previous season, but I really feel like this whole season, and especially this episode, completely rectify that. Mary and Isobel are perfectly written and acted in this episode. Their grief is tangible and striking in this episode, but it's not "dealt" with just in this episode. I mean, the characters aren't "fixed" and over it by the next episode, and that's how it should be.

I also just have to say that the director did something wonderful with the colors in this episode. Keeping everything dark and muted for the beginning makes the final scene with the flowers and Mary's purple outfit feel like a breath of fresh air.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 5:02pm

Post #24 of 66 (643 views)
Shortcut
The Road [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean. Well done? Yes. Enjoyable? No. Worth watching? Yes. Want to watch it again? Not sure, just because I felt beat up.

Schindler's List would be in that group too.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 5:03pm

Post #25 of 66 (635 views)
Shortcut
Did you enjoy all seasons equally? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so, for your sake. For me, things weren't so great after David Tennant left. I keep watching anyway.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.