Cirdan The Shipwright
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 2:29am

Post #1 of 33 (4020 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan The Shipwright Can't Post

I had once posted a thread asking if Elbereth had been inspired by The Virgin Mary, a lot of you had the same idea and also suggested Galadriel was as well. Earlier I thought of another one it may be a bit of a stretch but do you think Cirdan The Shipwright is based on Saint Peter being the keeper of the Keys to Heaven? I just randomly thought of it one day I think I'll just leave it at that though since I don't know much about the character except that he lives at the Grey Havens and allows passage to the west or Heaven if you'd like to see it that way. I'm sure there are are other figures you could draw comparisons to though. I guess it's my nature to see Christian symbolism in everything lol

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Jul 21 2014, 2:30am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 3:15am

Post #2 of 33 (3817 views)
Shortcut
calling malickfan, calling malickfan.... cirdan the shipwright alert --- [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree with malickfan on many points.... cirdan is one of the most intriguing characters in middle-earth, and of those who may be deemed the most intriguing, is one of the most underwritten.

check out some of malickfan's thoughtful observations re cirdan....

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=606475#606475

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 3:16am

Post #3 of 33 (3803 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter was a fisherman and apparently quite comfortable in boats before he got into that apostle gig.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 3:28am

Post #4 of 33 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Ah Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of Peter the fisherman lol I don't know why I didn't see that

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 4:32am

Post #5 of 33 (3786 views)
Shortcut
Hm, I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Catholic spirituality, Peter being the keeper of the keys of heaven is more of a symbol of authority. It doesn't imply that Peter is a gatekeeper, like he's often portrayed. While Círdan is certainly an important figure, I don't think he's even an authoritarian figure, as Peter is.

One can see some applicability between the Grey Havens and the Church, though. Surviving through the centuries, providing a path to paradise... I don't think that's what Tolkien intended to "say," but it's interesting food for thought.

TolkienBlog.com

squire
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 12:42pm

Post #6 of 33 (3787 views)
Shortcut
I think of Charon [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirdan is more noble than the classical Ferryman to the Underworld, and he builds the ships rather than navigates them. But like Charon he does allow the Elves passage across the water to their final blessed home, which is the equivalent of death in mortal terms.

I agree with others that St. Peter's role is more that of judge than of gatekeeper. But Cirdan never seems to have had anything to say about who would and wouldn't be allowed to depart Middle-earth; he knew, of course, and could forbid passage to the exiles, but I've always thought he was following orders rather than issuing them.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 2:11pm

Post #7 of 33 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm....This has me thinking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what might have happened if Saruman showed up at the Havens....

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 33 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Christian symbolism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess it's my nature to see Christian symbolism in everything lol

There are many analogies to Christianity in Tolkien’s work which I’m sure have been deliberated to extremes on this site – a couple come to mind:

Frodo’s suffering while carrying his “cross” (The One Ring) to Mt. Doom to save the Shire – compared to Christ’s suffering on the Cross to save mankind.
Gandalf’s death and resurrection. (His healing of Theoden.)
Aragorn’s healing ability.
Boromir’s repentance.
Galadriel’s refusal of the temptation to accept The Ring.
And etc. etc.

Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar'ni Pheriannath!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 33 (3748 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, we're closed [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, when you go to a restaurant and you see people inside but they won't let you in? That's the treatment Saruman would probably get from Cirdan. "There is no ship to take you back the way you came. And don't loiter around here either."

Though it's hard to figure out how much Cirdan was in the know about what happened in the war. Did Elrond send him regular briefings? Or was Cirdan insightful enough (he didn't trust Annatar) that seeing Saruman, he wouldn't trust him, even if he didn't know why, and wouldn't give him entry to Lindon? Or would he think it's not his place to interfere with someone who came from Valinor, and he'd give him a ship, and let the Valar decide if it found the Straight Road or just sailed in regular water?

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 33 (3755 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan was in the know somehow [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it's hard to figure out how much Cirdan was in the know about what happened in the war.

I'm not sure who Cirdan got his information from, but in my copy of The Complete Guide to Middle Earth Foster states Cirdan fought with the Last Alliance, was a member of the White Council, and in the Third Age frequently aided the Rangers. (If this is inaccurate, please correct me.) If that is accurate, I would imagine the network of Elves and/ or Rangers in one way or another kept him updated on what was going on. If the Elves could quickly send word from Frodo to Rivendell, I would imagine they would have been able to send messages in similar ways to the Gray Havens.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 2:21pm

Post #11 of 33 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Where's Cirdan? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure who Cirdan got his information from, but in my copy of The Complete Guide to Middle EarthFoster states Cirdan fought with the Last Alliance, was a member of the White Council, and in the Third Age frequently aided the Rangers. (If this is inaccurate, please correct me.)

Foster is correct as far as that goes: Elrond states at The Council that Cirdan “stood by” Gil-galad at the Last Alliance; and in The Slmarillion Rings of Power it’s stated that Cirdan was a member of the Council of the Wise. But I’ve often wondered if he left his “post” to attend any of these meetings during the latter part of the Third Age, or did he possibly send an emissary as he did at the Council of Elrond… ? And I think it can be assumed with much certainty that he aided the Rangers often.

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jul 22 2014, 2:22pm)

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 33 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan had a palintir... [In reply to] Can't Post

No just kidding... He could have gotten his reports from the Elves leaving Rivendell and headed West on the ships. There seemed to be frequent travels of Elves from Rivendell to the Havens for their migration back across the sea. I would wager they could give Cirdan an earful.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 24 2014, 12:06am

Post #13 of 33 (3677 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed that [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo’s suffering while carrying his “cross” (The One Ring) to Mt. Doom to save the Shire – compared to Christ’s suffering on the Cross to save mankind

I actually never thought of that, I suppose that makes Sam Simon of Cyrene doesn't it? helping him carry his burden up the mountain

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 1:27am

Post #14 of 33 (3687 views)
Shortcut
Sam & Simon [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo’s suffering while carrying his “cross” (The One Ring) to Mt. Doom to save the Shire – compared to Christ’s suffering on the Cross to save mankind

I actually never thought of that, I suppose that makes Sam Simon of Cyrene doesn't it? helping him carry his burden up the mountain

And I'd never really thought of that. There is a great correlation there. Would that be the Via Dolorosa & Sauron's Road? Good one BW Smile

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 24 2014, 2:15am

Post #15 of 33 (3673 views)
Shortcut
Stations Of The Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we'd be digging too deep if we were to figure out what the "Stations Of The Ring" were lol

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 4:16am

Post #16 of 33 (3664 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, to deep indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Sam & Frodo could be forgiven if they bypassed a station or two.

Lor bless their stout little hearts . . .Heart

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 4:30am

Post #17 of 33 (3672 views)
Shortcut
Who was in charge of the Elostirion palantir? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Cirdan had a palintir... by HeWhoArisesinMight

Well, you may be right? I always figured that Cirdan was probably in command of the palantir kept at the Tower Hills. Just a guess.

But it wouldn't do any good for getting reports from Rivendell as it only looked to the West.Frown

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 26 2014, 2:39pm

Post #18 of 33 (3640 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily based on [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet it would not be surprising if Cirdan evoked such a comparison, that Tolkien might have agreed it was "applicable"--though whether or not it was deliberate is another matter altogether. It's very clear that some imagery that hearkened back to his Catholic belief was intentional, I don't think all of it was.

I believe if he was alive today to read some of the scholars who find such analogs in his work, he might be slightly surprised at some of them and at others he might smile and think that he was glad they got it. (I'm not claiming to read his mind, just my speculation based on things he said in his Letters about a few such things, and applying them a little more broadly.) In other words, while he might not have intended Cirdan to be a comparison to St. Peter, he would probably be pleased if a reader drew such a conclusion.

Comparisons of Frodo to Christ are not uncommon. I do believe that Frodo was meant to be a "Christ-like" figure in many of the same ways that some of the Catholic saints are Christ-like. Yet he is not an allegorical equivalent of Christ in the same way that CSL's Aslan is. There are actually three characters who evoke Christ: Frodo, as the sacrificial aspect, Aragorn as the kingly aspect, and Gandalf with the resurrection aspect. Yet none of them are close enough to be Christ.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 3:29pm

Post #19 of 33 (3625 views)
Shortcut
In Rivendell... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond sent out scouts, and Ellodan and Elrohir (His sons) were said to be away gathering tidings. I think it likely that there were many foot soldiers and scouts out gathering news, perhaps aided by Rhadagast's beasts. Information in a war is almost invaluable.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 26 2014, 3:45pm

Post #20 of 33 (3620 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say "compared to" instead of "based on" lol that's I problem I have. I know Tolkien hated allegory. so I never try to look too hard for symbolism in his works even though there are some lol CS Lewis was more deliberate in his Narnia series that whole thing is a big religious allegory lol. I never saw Frodo as a Christ figure though I always saw him as a version of Tolkien himself, Tolkien was in Word War 1 and it must have haunted him for him to write LOTR the way he did. it was like he was there and knows how these characters felt. there are some instances that may have been inspired by the war like The Dead Marshes for example.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 33 (3624 views)
Shortcut
How about Gwaihir and the boys? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it likely that there were many foot soldiers and scouts out gathering news, perhaps aided by Rhadagast's beasts. Information in a war is almost invaluable.

Expediency! We know Gandalf was friends with the Great Eagles and we can assume (we're doing a lot of assuming are we not) that Radagast was also on friendly terms with the Eagles. What better way to quickly pass information from Rivendell to the Havens. Eh? Smile

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 7:21pm

Post #22 of 33 (3613 views)
Shortcut
I know relatively little of Lewis but [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yet he is not an allegorical equivalent of Christ in the same way that CSL's Aslan is.

I think Aslan is actually meant to be Christ, not an allegory of Christ. In other words, Lewis intended Aslan to literally be the incarnation of Christ in the world of Narnia.

Any Lewis scholars with some insight to shed on this?

TolkienBlog.com

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:49pm

Post #23 of 33 (3622 views)
Shortcut
So THAT'S why the Eagles didn't fly to Mordor!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

They were on patrol duty as intelligencers!!

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 26 2014, 11:18pm

Post #24 of 33 (3598 views)
Shortcut
That's what allegory is [In reply to] Can't Post

In an allegory, all the characters ARE what or who they represent. Basically Aslan is the name Christ bears in Narnia--making him the allegorical equivalent. One of the best know allegories is Pilgrim's Progress. Characters had the names of vices and virtues and were those vices or virtues personified. In allegory the author has a specific message and wants the reader to draw a particular conclusions.

Tolkien was more subtle and never used such direct means, but instead simply used similarities and let readers draw their own conclusions.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 27 2014, 10:29pm

Post #25 of 33 (3586 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense from a catholic perspective to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I say why not? Tolkien may have intended that or not. His works can be interpreted in your own way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.