The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Aragorn's elven hunting knife

Marilliam Ruinor

Jul 21 2014, 1:22am

Post #1 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's elven hunting knife Can't Post

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on Aragorn's knife. I know that this knife was not in the books, but I was wondering if Jackson created a history behind it, or if it just doesn't exist.
Also, I have read that the script on the blade is translated to, "Foe of the great fear" or "Foe of the Morgoth Realm"... Is this true?
Any information would be awesome!

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 1:41am

Post #2 of 9 (745 views)
Shortcut
Not an expert.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I believe that quote was on his sword. I remember watching the behind the scenes of the extended edition, and I believe it was Taylor that was talking about including those runes, that quote. If it's the thing I'm thinking about, it's definitely talked about on the behind the scenes extras. I have watched it a few times, and I've never heard of a history behind the knife. That WOULD be cool though. Such a stunning weapon.

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 2:40am

Post #3 of 9 (747 views)
Shortcut
Weapons and Warfare book [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a book put out for the LotR movie-verse called Weapons and Warfare. It confirms that the inscription reads "Foe of Morgoth's" realm but gives no further history for the blade. I don't know if the filmmakers ever gave it more back story.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 3:30am

Post #4 of 9 (731 views)
Shortcut
I love that knife [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was any larger, it would have to be classed as a cutlass.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 4:34am

Post #5 of 9 (745 views)
Shortcut
If it references Morgoth [In reply to] Can't Post

Then it would have to be an ancient sword. My guess would be a Noldorin sword (but probably not from Gondolin or Nargothrond, since those realms didn't actively war against Morgoth often). I wonder if it's something that Elrond gave to Aragorn or if it's an heirloom of Númenor?

TolkienBlog.com

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 21 2014, 9:53am

Post #6 of 9 (732 views)
Shortcut
Celeborn gave it to him in the EE of FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

No origin is given for it as far as I can recall, but in the movieverse the inscription referencing Morgoth clearly makes it a First Age weapon just like Glamdring, Orcrist, Sting and Narsil.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 21 2014, 2:18pm

Post #7 of 9 (708 views)
Shortcut
or -- [In reply to] Can't Post

A machete? Or maybe a hunting sword?

... though most likely it was conceived as a Middle-earth Bowie Knife.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 4:45pm

Post #8 of 9 (710 views)
Shortcut
Gud Daedheloth [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be one damn fine machete!

Apparently the blade's maker for the film imagined a history for it; we can probably assign the inscription on it, Gud Daedheloth, as its name (literally "Foe of the Realm of Shadow"?).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 3:23am

Post #9 of 9 (704 views)
Shortcut
Oh, right! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a while since I've seen the movies. And Galadriel gave Noldorin daggers to Merry and Pippin. There's a surprisingly large number of First Age weapons lying around unused in Lórien, apparently.

TolkienBlog.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.