Elrond in his armor - new pic!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 28 (5466 views)
Shortcut
Elrond in his armor - new pic! Can't Post

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/p526x395/10462431_10152357792189821_3887401936216781073_o.jpg

Well, at least we get this todayCool

TORn lurker since 2002:]

(This post was edited by aifeme on Jul 20 2014, 8:07pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 28 (4133 views)
Shortcut
Is that [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg on the right or who?????

Edit: I guess they re-used that Design for an other orc at the Siege of Dol Guldur, probably

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 20 2014, 8:13pm)

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 8:14pm

Post #3 of 28 (4092 views)
Shortcut
Long story short: [In reply to] Can't Post

He is "Gundabad Orc General".
You can read about it here:
http://atolkienistperspective.wordpress.com/...gled-design-history/

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 8:18pm

Post #4 of 28 (3935 views)
Shortcut
My thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't look at it people! Save the surprise the movie, I unfortunately didn't so have spoiled part of what will make the film good (it does look great though).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 8:19pm

Post #5 of 28 (3958 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

That Orc is supposed to be Bolg, and they filmed the scenes with this prosthetic Orc. But in DOS they replaced it with a digital design, so surely it will be replaced in BOFA? So this prosthetic design will not be seen in the films, apart from a brief cameo in AUJ because they used the costume for an orc in the Moria battle.

(The prosethic design here was actually initially used for Azog).

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 20 2014, 8:20pm)

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 8:28pm

Post #6 of 28 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Elrond Shouldn't Be In Dol Guldur? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey wait! Elrond didn't take a part in attack on Dol Guldur. After attack, in the return journey Gandalf was telling him what happened in Dol Guldur. Really, didn't they noticed it?? He mustn't be there!!!

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 8:40pm

Post #7 of 28 (3908 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they noticed it [In reply to] Can't Post

and chose to have him there anyway because in movie canon it makes sense. Out of all the creative choices they've made, this is honestly one of the least troubling ones.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 8:47pm

Post #8 of 28 (3879 views)
Shortcut
So Bolg was supposed to be in Dol Guldur when the White Council attacks? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very interesting, not something I was aware of until now. I wonder if this means one of the two main Orcs, Azog or Bolg, will be there in the final film? Since the part originally planned for Bolg in Dol Guldur went to Azog in DoS, will that continue into BotFA?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 28 (3837 views)
Shortcut
To me it looks like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...one of the original designs they had for Azog, when Conan Stevens was still slated to play him (before he was switched to Bolg). Remember seeing something like this in the AUJ appendices when they chronicled all of the design changes Azog went through. It could be Bolg though, since it looks like they are in Dol Guldur and Bolg was originally supposed to be there.

It's a shame they ditched this practical costume for the mocapped Orcs we ended up with.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 20 2014, 9:08pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 9:02pm

Post #10 of 28 (3816 views)
Shortcut
Agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd actually like to see Elrond do some fighting. It's not canon, but then neither was Gandalf's duel with Sauron, and that turned out to be one of my favorite scenes in all 5 movies.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 9:10pm

Post #11 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Elrond at Dol Guldur. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey wait! Elrond didn't take a part in attack on Dol Guldur. After attack, in the return journey Gandalf was telling him what happened in Dol Guldur. Really, didn't they noticed it?? He mustn't be there!!!

Either Peter Jackson has altered events to place Elrond at Dol Guldur, or Gandalf and Lord Elrond were less than open and honest when they were discussing the Necromancer in front of Bilbo. They might not have wanted to reveal too much about the White Council in the Hobbit's presence.

We know that Tolkien had not yet developed the White Council in detail when he wrote The Hobbit, but we can still devise in-story explanations of Gandalf talking around the issue in the book.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 10:18pm

Post #12 of 28 (3730 views)
Shortcut
Is this really new? [In reply to] Can't Post

This certainly looks to me like the old Conan Stevens Bolg design, when he was "Torturer of Dol Guldur", and quite possibly shows the scene reference in an early EMPIRE article where Gandalf and Elrond recce the dungeons of DG...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 20 2014, 10:20pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 10:32pm

Post #13 of 28 (3683 views)
Shortcut
Yes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a new Elrond costume we've not seen before.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 12:24am

Post #14 of 28 (3567 views)
Shortcut
yeah I prefer the prosthetic design too [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the best looking orc out of all the films imo and would've been perfect as Azog. His eyes remind me of the posessed girl from the Exorcist. I don't see why PJ would even bother changing him to a digital orc so late into production.

Farficom
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 1:38am

Post #15 of 28 (3540 views)
Shortcut
Hooray. [In reply to] Can't Post

For actual costumes and makeup. Elrond is like "Holy, crap." This makes me even more excited to see what we have coming up.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 6:16am

Post #16 of 28 (3425 views)
Shortcut
It's certainly a new picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it isn't a new costume, from what I can tell. It's practically identical to the armour Elrond wears as he arrives in Rivendell]. We've also seen it in a number of promo images too, like this one. Though from this angle, the pauldron/breastplate looks slightly different.

Could this be from a new vlog .... ? Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 10:04am

Post #17 of 28 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Thank God for the CGI Orcs. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 10:39am

Post #18 of 28 (3330 views)
Shortcut
IMHO this one looks better than the CGI ones [In reply to] Can't Post

So the comment below the picture on FB:

the orc isnt CGI how exciting

Is personally my favouriteSmile

(This post was edited by aifeme on Jul 21 2014, 10:39am)

boldog
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 11:10am

Post #19 of 28 (3324 views)
Shortcut
This picture now makes me appreciate the final design of Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI definateley paid off for Bolg! I was at first angered to see they changed his design, but after seeing this, im more then happy to see the change. This design looks like some mutant bear-orc in my eyes! NO resemblance to Azog whatsoever! Thank god they changed this!

And BTW Elrond looks great in golden Armour! Really looking forward to seeing him fight in dol guldur!

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Name
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 12:02pm

Post #20 of 28 (3287 views)
Shortcut
I'll generally go real > cgi [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have to admit the prosthetic Bolg looks kinda cool. But he was going to end up all stiff and emotionless like Lurtz, then I can understand the switch to cgi. But the design did look pretty sweet........

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 5:36pm

Post #21 of 28 (3180 views)
Shortcut
how do you know it's a new picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes this is the old azog design but this could have easily be filmed in 2011 when this design was azog, but is there anything that proves this picture was taking recently?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 5:42pm

Post #22 of 28 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely prefer the practical, prosthitic (and costumed) orcs to the cgi ones we got.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 5:45pm

Post #23 of 28 (3185 views)
Shortcut
While Bolg's design is definitely an improvement [In reply to] Can't Post

over Azog's, i still think the films would be better had they gone with actors in practical prosthetics.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 6:10pm

Post #24 of 28 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Well, no, it was probably taken months (years!) ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I actually meant that it's the first time we've seen it - so it is new in that respect.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 6:35pm

Post #25 of 28 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like that version of Bolg better. It's cool we got it as an action figure at least. However, I will say I really love Azog. He looks quite good IMO in AUJ but in DOS he looked so life like.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.