The Black Arrow - what a monster!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 3:12pm

Post #1 of 35 (1747 views)
Shortcut
The Black Arrow - what a monster! Can't Post

A while back, we were discussing the Black Arrow (film version) and the possibility of Bard firing it from his longbow (if, say, Smaug destroyed the windlance). Well, Weta's book The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Chronicles: Cloaks & Daggers is now released and it has most of the specifications for the Black Arrow.

The head of the quarrel is about forty centimeters (almost sixteen inches) long and is supposed to be steel. The shaft is wood (the prop is aluminium with a resin head) and seems to be about one inch thick. The over all length is almost two meters (about six feet). The weight is not given; however, even the finished "hero" prop is "incredibly heavy."

This should rule out Bard firing the Black Arrow like a normal arrow. The idea might sound good as mythology (as in a feat that Odysseus or Hercules might peform), but I don't think that it would work on film.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Name
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 3:18pm

Post #2 of 35 (833 views)
Shortcut
It would look incredibly ridiculous [In reply to] Can't Post

Being shot from a regular bow.

I'm hoping for Bard to use a regular arrow after he fails with the windlance. It keeps to the lore, and looks impressive.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 3:24pm

Post #3 of 35 (783 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my original argument when I visualized the size of the Black Arrow in DoS. The Cloaks & Daggers book merely reinforces my opinion.

I'm hoping for Bard to use a regular arrow after he fails with the windlance. It keeps to the lore, and looks impressive.

Yes and no. It sticks to the lore by bringing Smaug down with a conventional bow; however, that means that Bard doesn't accomplish the feat using the Black Arrow. It might as well be with the windlance.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 3:35pm

Post #4 of 35 (735 views)
Shortcut
Thank you O-S... for your Research... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the Fleeting Glance?
...we got in the Film

(Thorin & Balin's look through
Bard's window)

IT appeared to be mounted on TOP
of the Master's Chambers...
so they can climb up... though
his Quarter's to get to the
Windlance...

Thus re-visiting his
EXPENSIVE
SET!

Taladamir
The Shire

Jul 20 2014, 3:38pm

Post #5 of 35 (736 views)
Shortcut
it should... [In reply to] Can't Post

...rule out its use in a regular bow, but that seems to be where they might go. Perhaps a gigantic longbow at extremely short range, while the hero is plunging backwards over the edge of a skyscrape...oh wait, wrong movieBlush

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 3:40pm

Post #6 of 35 (733 views)
Shortcut
Could we see it break in two perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would also prefer if they stick to the bow, rather than the windlance.

So is it possible that the Black Arrow might break in two, so that Bard is still able to use it on his bow?

Would it still retain some balance even without fletchings on its end? Enough perhaps to provide a straight-ish flight?

It might sound weird, but it seems the only plausible way of retaining the use of the bow and the black arrow at the same time.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 20 2014, 3:40pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 3:47pm

Post #7 of 35 (711 views)
Shortcut
Broken in half? [In reply to] Can't Post

And with no fletching to boot? No. The balance would be completely destroyed--remember how large is the quarrel's head. And the weight would still be ridiculously high.

Part of the problem is that both we and the movie crew keeps referring to the object as an arrow, leading to false expectations. It really isn't an arrow in the films but would be better described as a bolt or quarrel.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 3:52pm

Post #8 of 35 (710 views)
Shortcut
Hmm I guess you're right. But now I'm thinking does he need a black arrow? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Bard really need a Black Arrow now?

In DoS it was explained how only a Black Arrow could pierce the dragon's hide, which Girion actually did manage to do.

So now, all Bard would need is to find the unprotected spot and shoot a normal arrow through it.

But I guess that's over-simplifying it perhaps! Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jul 20 2014, 4:01pm

Post #9 of 35 (711 views)
Shortcut
That does seem incredibly big [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still think he's gonna fire it of his longbow as he's supposed to. After all he said it himself in that interview from the live event. So I'm still gonna put my money on some super shot from bard the bowman Wink

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 4:14pm

Post #10 of 35 (752 views)
Shortcut
Well, Bard does have a very big...um...bow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alex Falkner, Weta Workshop Props Model Making Supervisor, wrote for the Cloaks & Daggers book:

Daniel Kelly created Bard's bow for us in two halves which we moulded, cast and then glued together and remoulded as one piece. The lovely thing about it was that it was completely functional, and at 2.2 metres tall is one of the biggest bows we have produced. It could shoot arrows a huge distance.

Firing the Black Arrow from Bard's longbow still stretches my willing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point, but your mileage may vary.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 20 2014, 4:24pm

Post #11 of 35 (675 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

The bow might be huge, but the length of an arrow isn't dictated by bow length.

The archer's draw length is what should dictate the length of the arrow (if too much of an arrow sticks out from the bow when fully drawn, that means it's too long and the arrow's flight will be compromised). Even if Bard had a stupendous 4-foot draw length, he still wouldn't be able to properly shoot that massive iron arrow.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Name
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 4:51pm

Post #12 of 35 (644 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus the bow would need to have like a 300+ lbs draw weight to launch a bolt like that.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 5:03pm

Post #13 of 35 (669 views)
Shortcut
And yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The weight is not given; however, even the finished "hero" prop is "incredibly heavy."

This should rule out Bard firing the Black Arrow like a normal arrow. The idea might sound good as mythology (as in a feat that Odysseus or Hercules might peform), but I don't think that it would work on film.

...in DoS when we see Luke Evans grab the Black Arrow down from the rafters he handles it pretty easily, not like it is "incredibly heavy..." not to mention that Bain is able to run and hide it again without a problem.
Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 7:22pm

Post #14 of 35 (603 views)
Shortcut
Can anyone POST a ScreenCap of Girion shooting at Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

from the Prologue...
THAT might solve
this debate?

Bombyzz opinion is

Bard NEEDS to shoot him
with the Windlance to honor
His... Grandfather's... attempts.

Bringing back his Ancestor's Honor?
(Which seems to be a re-occurring... theme )

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 8:26pm

Post #15 of 35 (586 views)
Shortcut
Here you go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Girion in action:

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 9:02pm

Post #16 of 35 (544 views)
Shortcut
Everything is relative [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...in DoS when we see Luke Evans grab the Black Arrow down from the rafters he handles it pretty easily, not like it is "incredibly heavy..." not to mention that Bain is able to run and hide it again without a problem.
Unsure

We are not talking about something that weighs 50 pounds (or even, say, 20 pounds). However, the windlance bolt is going to weigh many times more than a longbow arrow, which is fairly insignificant by comparison. A typical ballista bolt measured between 1.2 and 1.7 meters in length (shorter than the windlance quarrel) and weighed about 4 kilograms (almost 9 pounds). So, the Black Arrow might weigh as much as 10 pounds. If we assume a high degree of craftmanship and want to be conservative, it might be as little as 8 pounds.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2014, 9:04pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 9:16pm

Post #17 of 35 (537 views)
Shortcut
May IT be? Maybe, Kinda Sorta.. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMPORTANT to Bard & Bain
That It..izz

"Light as a Feather"?

Isn't this a
FantasyFilm?

Bomby doesn't get all caught up
In "Weights&Measures"
...anyMore...

When it comes toooo
PJ & JRRT

Crazy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 9:39pm

Post #18 of 35 (511 views)
Shortcut
Well, Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if we assume that the bolt weighs only half of what I estimate (Dwarven magic?), that is still more than the weight of an entire quiver of arrows (plus the quiver) or Bard's longbow. It is significant.

And, yes, Jackson is free to play just as fast and loose with this as he does with time and distance. I'm just looking at it more realistically.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2014, 9:43pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 10:01pm

Post #19 of 35 (507 views)
Shortcut
May it be...? It has a Hollow Shaft? [In reply to] Can't Post

filled with Nasty, Evil,
Poison?

"Left-overs" from Kili's
Wound?

Could there be an
Apothecary...?
in LakeTown

An OINTMENT?.... that
Only
OIN.... might know about?

(A NEWish...Tangled, Conspiracy ..ONLY in Bombyzz Mind?)

Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 10:05pm

Post #20 of 35 (508 views)
Shortcut
Doubtful... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
May it be...? It has a Hollow Shaft? filled with Nasty, Evil,
Poison?

Probably not; the shaft is made of wood. And the design of the head also makes it impossible that it could be hollow. Nice try though. You do think outside of the box!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2014, 10:06pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 10:12pm

Post #21 of 35 (489 views)
Shortcut
O-s...What BOX? Define "box" fur Bozo, please?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 10:16pm

Post #22 of 35 (508 views)
Shortcut
Even so... [In reply to] Can't Post

We know from LE at the DoS Live Event that Bard will fire something larger than normal with his crossbow, because he demonstrated how he drew his bow "in reverse" to gain a larger draw...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 10:20pm

Post #23 of 35 (487 views)
Shortcut
Box [In reply to] Can't Post

Outside-of-the-box as in a free-thinker. You don't stay within the lines. You don't limit yourself to conventional wisdom. Get it?

It was supposed to be a compliment. Unsure

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 10:22pm

Post #24 of 35 (493 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We know from LE at the DoS Live Event that Bard will fire something larger than normal with his crossbow, because he demonstrated how he drew his bow "in reverse" to gain a larger draw...

You mean longbow. Yes, I've read that as well; that's what worries me a bit.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 10:27pm

Post #25 of 35 (486 views)
Shortcut
Bomb is Tryin' to THINK?.. in a Straight Line.. [In reply to] Can't Post

OIN.. has Some Job to do?
In Laketown,... TOO!

A HERO Moment..

He sprinkles some
OINTMENT..on the Shaft?

THAT Explodes on contact with
The "FIRE".... in Samug's
Black Heart??

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 20 2014, 10:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.