The music isn't up to par
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

haarp
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 1:04pm

Post #1 of 81 (1506 views)
Shortcut
The music isn't up to par Can't Post

does Howard Shore just not feel for this movie like he did with LOTR? Too many songs sound the same and there's only distinctive theme is the

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 1:08pm

Post #2 of 81 (861 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is up to par with LotR. The use of the music isn't. I love a lot of the tracks in the DoS soundtrack. But the way it's used in the film doesn't allow you to appreciate it as much. I would definitely suggest anyone who hasn't to listen to the complete score.

Our destiny lies above us.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 1:12pm

Post #3 of 81 (769 views)
Shortcut
Uh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I strongly disagree. I loved the AUJ OST, and the DOS was even better. DOS soundtrack is IMO better than TTT's.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 1:15pm

Post #4 of 81 (764 views)
Shortcut
I agree in part... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think overall, listening to the scores on the OST the score is of a very high standard. However, I do think we have fewer really distinctive themes. For FOTR, TTT and ROTK each film had one really strong, memorable theme and then a least a few other strong tracks per film. I don't feel that AUJ and DOS have had quite the 'hummability' factor as LOTR.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 1:22pm

Post #5 of 81 (772 views)
Shortcut
Meaning that the orchestration is wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

...meaning Howard Shore should not have outsourced this very important aspect of the music score to someone else.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Name
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 81 (718 views)
Shortcut
It's different [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved AUJ's soundtrack, and I think it had some really great pieces in it. DOS wasn't as good as AUJ IMO.

But I definitely think the music isn't used to its full potential, like they said above. But I also get the feeling that the music isn't as loud as it was LotR, and too much of it is in the background.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 1:39pm

Post #7 of 81 (720 views)
Shortcut
Nothing to do with orchestration [In reply to] Can't Post

And everything to do with how PJ and co elected to use the music in the films. AUJ was nothing short of a debacle with all the omissions, inferior replacements and tracked material. Thankfully DoS was much better, though there was some stuff on the album I liked to have heard in the films (like that rendition of Thorin's theme over Bombur's barrel bounce).

But there's nothing wrong with Shore's music for these films. It's fantastic, easily on par with LOTR. But Shore can only score what's on screen, and his music can only soar if PJ allows it to.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 20 2014, 1:41pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 1:39pm

Post #8 of 81 (701 views)
Shortcut
First reaction to this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit scores haven't soared to the heights of the LOTR scores (at least not as frequently). However, The Hobbit scores so far are brilliant and is still not a complete musical story. Most of the themes have been set up, so the remaining music should be the pay off (and will contain a lot more emotion).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2014, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 81 (677 views)
Shortcut
The music doesn't always shine through in the Hobbit movies the way it did in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was disappointed by the music in DOS until I downloaded it and listened to it by itself, then I really liked it. It just seems to be more in the background, and some of the most beautiful music takes place while people are talking which makes it hard to focus on the music.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 2:00pm

Post #10 of 81 (661 views)
Shortcut
Not agree at all [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of musical moments in this movies have grown in me par to LOTR musical moments.

There is a diferent tone, that is, in LOTR the whole feeling of the score is the same tone the movies with its images and colour grading are giving you, more ominous

BUT in the hobbit there is Ii would say one of the most if not the most speciall moment in fantasy movie history that is when Bilbo shows up trough the canopy of Mirkwood and sees the buterflies. The music in that moment is so perfect to giving the sense of enchantment

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 2:16pm

Post #11 of 81 (667 views)
Shortcut
Sound mixing, not orchestration... [In reply to] Can't Post

... If I understood the comment correctly.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 2:30pm

Post #12 of 81 (660 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, don't agree at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some beautiful and very distintive themes and pieces of music in the Hobbit. Feast of Starlight, Beyond the Forest, Thrice Welcome to name but a few. The use of the gamelin in connection with Smaug is eerie and instantly recognisable. Far over the Misty Mountains isn't Howard Shore, but it's perfect for that scene. You didn't finish your post so there's no telling what you were about to say, but I think you're quite wrong about the music.

It's different, that's all.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 3:39pm

Post #13 of 81 (587 views)
Shortcut
Define the Words.. "UP to Par"? [In reply to] Can't Post

As in
.. the Game of Golf?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 81 (599 views)
Shortcut
I do absolutely agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember one single bit of the music from DoS. The music from AUJ was much more memorable (and moving), mainly because of the Misty Mountains theme.

The music for DoS may be excellent – it's just not as appropriate for the film as the music for LotR was for that trilogy.

In Reply To
I think overall, listening to the scores on the OST the score is of a very high standard. However, I do think we have fewer really distinctive themes. For FOTR, TTT and ROTK each film had one really strong, memorable theme and then a least a few other strong tracks per film. I don't feel that AUJ and DOS have had quite the 'hummability' factor as LOTR.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 3:53pm

Post #15 of 81 (581 views)
Shortcut
May I ask [In reply to] Can't Post

How many times have you watched DoS, or listened to the soundtrack?

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 4:06pm

Post #16 of 81 (567 views)
Shortcut
If this is [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly the way you feel... It would appear to me that you haven't spent that much time actually listening to the DOS score. And I'm offended for Howard Shore at the notion that 'he's not feeling it'...

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 4:11pm

Post #17 of 81 (563 views)
Shortcut
Well DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Has a score that is extremely memorable, I find it sad that a lot of people aren't appreciating it.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 4:18pm

Post #18 of 81 (535 views)
Shortcut
Love the music of certain scenes in both movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I re-watched DOS last night and was thinking how lovely the music (and the silence was before that) as the dwarves enter Erebor. (Utterly beautiful sceneHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart)

And I've always loved the eerie, haunting chiming as Bilbo descends into the hoard, and the music for Laketown. And what I think is a really interesting, somewhat mournful? bleak? ominous? piece as the dwarves cross the lake, the blasted plain and reach the Overlook. I think that music echoes the clash of memories and thoughts I would assume Thorin would be having at that moment.

With the "action scenes" in DOS don't think I've paid that much attention, since I'm paying attention to the action.
But I do remember enjoying the use of the Misty Mountains theme as the dwarves are hiking through the different terrains in AUJ.

I know little about music (shocking since there are musicians in my family) but there are times in both movies when I have been captivated.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 4:21pm

Post #19 of 81 (541 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am always chagrined at how quickly people think they can get inside someone's head and judge how committed (etc.) they are.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 4:30pm

Post #20 of 81 (537 views)
Shortcut
[In summary to everyone's comments above] To some extent I do agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst dormouse says there are very beautiful and distinctive themes in The Hobbit, I feel they could have taken them further than they should have (more on this later). Indeed, the only track I enjoy from the whole AUJ and DOS soundtrack is 'Beyond The Forest' (which is not even in the film! [I sincerely hope they have some of this track within BOTFA]) and the Eagle music in AUJ that was not released as part of the soundtrack - and on that matter a lot of the themes in that soundtrack which was not used in the film. The theme I despise most of all is Smaug's theme - you need something clever and cunning, not noisy with anger! In the AUJ prologue, it was all noise and no tune. The choir version of the theme at the end of DOS when he takes flight was better. Another theme I hate is Azog's. I know it is supposed to be a version of the Mordor theme, but it is too tuneless for my taste.

I think, as tsmith stated, the music is up to par with LOTR but the use of the music isn't. For example, the track in DOS, 'The High Fells', was originally released as part of a bonus track in AUJ ('The Edge of the Wild'). When I first heard this, I pictured it used somewhere else in DOS and got very excited and was a little disappointed to find it elsewhere. It is still a great track to listen to anyway.
The music are very good in places, however the possible difference in LOTR is the music was there to help tell the story and seemed to capture the characters emotions and therefore added a lot of depth to the scenes.
The music in The Hobbit has this in places but tends to just create a specific mood/atmosphere that describes the location and setting.

Just my opinion, folks. Wink

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 4:35pm

Post #21 of 81 (542 views)
Shortcut
'Beyond the Forest' [In reply to] Can't Post

It's essentially a suite of the Elvish themes in the film - Tauriel and Kili, Mirkwood, and Tauriel's two themes. We hear these in DoS and will probably hear them again in BOTFA. You're unlikely to hear the exact arrangement of 'Beyond the Forest' or those particular variations however.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 4:54pm

Post #22 of 81 (509 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you may [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard the music three times altogether, with the film – the music for the LotR films and AUJ was far more memorable for me, almost instantly. I don't just listen to the soundtrack for any of the films.

I'd say whether you appreciate the DoS music or not is another one of these subjective things. I just happen not to appreciate it as an accompaniment to the film.

In Reply To
How many times have you watched DoS, or listened to the soundtrack?

Name
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 4:57pm

Post #23 of 81 (491 views)
Shortcut
I'll agree [In reply to] Can't Post

On the point that AUJ's music was more memorable. A lot more recognizable themes.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2014, 5:21pm

Post #24 of 81 (484 views)
Shortcut
Themes [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the new themes from AUJ were carried over into DoS (apologies if I've forgotten any):

Thorin
Erebor
Bilbo's 'fussy' theme
Bilbo's 'adventure' theme
Gandalf
'Moonlight Reveal' (or whatever one wishes to call it)
Arkenstone
Wargs
Azog/Bolg/Dol Guldur material
Necromancer
Spiders of Mirkwood (oddly not heard in AUJ but heard in DoS)
Elves of the Woodland Realm
Both Smaug themes
'Thorin's Pride' as its generally known

The ones that were left out (as I recall, there might be one or two others):

Company theme ('Misty Mountains') (the most obvious loss; must surely return for the final film)
Company 'B' theme AKA 'Call of the Wild' (this wasn't heard in AUJ and was always likely to be dropped)
Gandalf 'B' section (an odd omission...can't imagine we've heard the last of it. People have noticed similarities with the new theme known as 'The Nine')
Baggins-Took theme (largely omitted from AUJ in favour of the Shire theme, a great loss. Was always going to be dropped after that unfortunately)
Radagast material (much was omitted from AUJ...he was barely in DoS anyway but I can't imagine we'll hear anymore quite like that unfortunately)
The unknown Dwarf theme heard in 'Brass Buttons' and 'Out of the Frying-pan' (dropped from AUJ and never likely to return)
'The Dwarf Lords' (only heard once in AUJ, and one would imagine is likely to return in BOTFA, possibly as a theme for Dain and the Dwarves of the Iron Hills)

But there were of course many new themes:

Beorn
Mirkwood
The Nine
House of Durin (technically this was heard in AUJ, as soon as the film begins)
Tauriel
Tauriel and Kili
Bard
Laketown
Politicians of Laketown
Girion
Bard's family (not heard in the film)
Dragon sickness

I think that's all of them...so we lose a few but gaining more and carrying over many from the first film (and I didn't even include LOTR themes, like the History of the Ring, Evil of the Ring/Mordor, Shire, Bree, Footsteps of Doom, the Heroics of Legolas, Elvish Healing). Plus we don't know what we might hear in the EE yet (a Thrain theme is certain).

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 20 2014, 5:23pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 5:44pm

Post #25 of 81 (471 views)
Shortcut
Listen to the soundtracks [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll be in for a great. These scores work on their own too, unlike some scores which are mostly just atmospheric.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.