Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
what do you think of the new Exodus movie trailer?

boldog
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 10:11am

Post #1 of 13 (677 views)
Shortcut
what do you think of the new Exodus movie trailer? Can't Post

This another movie besides BOT5A that im really looking forward to seeing this year. The trailer has been frequently watched by me. I must say from what little there is in the trailer im already anticipating it much.
It seems to me that they are going to keep the whole Moses and Ramesis strong brotherly bond thing in this film. Much like the prince of egypt, but obviously more serious and tragic. I really like to see two great friends become enemies.

But from the teaser trailer, are you looking forward to this film?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 11:40am

Post #2 of 13 (614 views)
Shortcut
The shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

... with the horse is breathtaking.

I saw there is a huge debate about the "all white" casting going on.

It is sure going to be interesting. I hope it will not be as bloated as Noah.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2014, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 13 (610 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to it [In reply to] Can't Post

and keeping my fingers crossed. I love big epic movies but they don't always turn out very well, so I'm hopeful but not letting myself be overly excited. I'm also looking forward to their depiction of New Kingdom Egypt and hoping for great sets and costumes.

As for the white casting - well, analysis of his mummy proved that Ramses was a redhead, so his particular family at least was probably very light skinned.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

glor
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 6:53pm

Post #4 of 13 (613 views)
Shortcut
It does look interesting but then I like Ridley Scott [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the first few seconds of that trailer; the angle of the shot of the horses riding into battle, and the construction pit, bore a remarkable resemblance to the Rohirrim charging into Battle at Pelennor and the Orc Pits of Saruman.

The white casting thing could be a problem though. Ridley Scott is not a director who necessarily bides by the rules of political correctness but, white actors playing non-white parts isn't political correctness but outdated and extremely problematic, Joel Edgerton as Rhamses looks almost 'blacked up'.

White Hollywood faces playing non-white characters, especially ones that are historical figures, reeks of old fashioned racism and caucasian supremacy. Hollywood is dominated by white actors in white roles, when the opportunity comes along for non-whites Hollywood should not be getting out the spray tan, contact lenses and prothestic noses, they should be casting from a wider talent pool.

What, the more I think about, rankles with me, is that this is a Ridley Scott movie, a director whose name above the title is enough to garner interest, it doesn't need known (white) tentpole names in the cast list.

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 13 (582 views)
Shortcut
on the "to see" list [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a sucker for all the 'sword & sandal' epics so this automatically goes on my watch list.
Add in Ridley Scott and I'm buying a ticket.
Like the trailer in that it shows the Pharoah saying he remembered Moses & Rameses as
boys and brothers. Hopefully it won't go for the fight for the throne princess angle of The Ten
Commandments.
Love the visual of the parting of seas with the horse, but I hope the horse lives!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 10:43pm

Post #6 of 13 (584 views)
Shortcut
It will be a big budget competitor for TBO5A. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes today and the trailers for all of the big epic films loooked good..Hercules, Gods and Kings etc. all looked good.

I don't see any "blacking up" here -

http://cdn.unleashthefanboy.com/.../12/EX_03.png?4dbf7b

http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/...mmy-reconstructions/
Some reconstructions....

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2014, 10:47pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 11:03pm

Post #7 of 13 (582 views)
Shortcut
There were many ethnic groups in ancient Egypt and some [In reply to] Can't Post

ruled at various times. It would be like looking at a mummy of Obama and claiming all Americans were similar. Looking at their paintings shows variation:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...ypt+Clothing+(5).jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...42jq140wjnR-vOrySoBr

http://www.artwallpaper.me/...ng-Wallpaper-Art.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2014, 11:03pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2014, 12:56am

Post #8 of 13 (577 views)
Shortcut
white casting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see what the problem is with casting a light skinned actor to play an historical character who is known to have been a light skinned, red haired person.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

smtfhw
Lorien

Jul 21 2014, 10:55am

Post #9 of 13 (557 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about as interested in seeing this as I was in seeing "Noah" or whatever it was titled recently, which is to say not at all... My personal take on religion is at the root of it - as I've no belief, and am of the opinion - having read it - that the bible isn't that good a piece of literature either. So my money will be staying in my wallet for this.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 12:55pm

Post #10 of 13 (558 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a huge fan of Christian Bale. In fact, he's just one of those actors that I can't get past knowing who he is and buying him as the character. He looks nothing like how I'd imagine Moses to look. He literally just looks like Christian Bale walking around Egypt.

On the other hand, that shot of the horse in front of the water is simply breathtaking. Wow.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 2:16pm

Post #11 of 13 (550 views)
Shortcut
(link provided to trailer) - looks beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZPMU9riKl4

fwiw; a link to the trailer would have been appreciated. :-)

After having watched it, I feel quite excited. One: It's beautiful. I'll watch lots of stuff that is so so in content if it has a beautiful or interesting style (being in the creative field) Two: It's Ridley Scott. I like his stuff.

I may have an opinion on the story and/or cast after watching but I will watch it and will try hard to catch it on the big screen.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2014, 3:38am

Post #12 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut
Having seen the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely NOT be going to see this one. It's Gladiator with someone named Moses. Ugh!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 8:33pm

Post #13 of 13 (530 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a huge fan of Christian Bale. In fact, he's just one of those actors that I can't get past knowing who he is and buying him as the character. He looks nothing like how I'd imagine Moses to look. He literally just looks like Christian Bale walking around Egypt.

DittoLaugh

Oh, well - just watched the trailer and CB in guyliner did it for me. Tho I love R. Scott. Russell Crowe/Benedict Cumberbatch/Richard Armitage, where art thou and thou epic voices?Unsure

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 23 2014, 8:38pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.