Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What does everyone think about this scene...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 18 2014, 6:20am

Post #1 of 37 (1717 views)
Shortcut
What does everyone think about this scene... Can't Post

This is personally, my favourite scene of DOS. The music, the feel, the looks of the characters, the dialogue, all are beautiful and make me feel something that I felt whilst watching the Lord of the Rings. I am a big fan of the Kili/Tauriel romance and I believe this scene is very well written and has probably the best score for any scene in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUICKqdjgn0

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2014, 6:40am

Post #2 of 37 (747 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of the romance, but I think this scene was very well done overall. I could have done without Legolas watching them though. I think the romance is pretty forced and unnecessary, but when I watch a scene like this I can still enjoy it. It's the poorly executed healing scene that makes me wish the romance had been played down.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 18 2014, 6:41am

Post #3 of 37 (837 views)
Shortcut
Of all five films ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is the best conversation Tolkien never wrote.

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 18 2014, 6:42am

Post #4 of 37 (745 views)
Shortcut
Legolas watching [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Legolas watching them will serve its purpose in BotFA

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 7:55am

Post #5 of 37 (699 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It is greatly written... One can listen to eat and really start dreaming. Also the mentionings of Dunland are smartly placed and open up that beloved look on the enormous mythology underneath.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 8:03am

Post #6 of 37 (700 views)
Shortcut
Dunland is getting loads of mentions in the Hobbit films... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once in the AUJ EE with the Goblin King, and twice in DOS, in the prologue and here...

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 8:24am

Post #7 of 37 (675 views)
Shortcut
It offers itself to be used... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I guess. Its geography makes kind of sense, as merchants would have to cross it on their way to the South (although trade at this point must have already calmed down qutie a bit). And Thorin would have to cross Bree on its way back to the Ered Luin after looking for his father. Plus it is a name that might have been seen as "not too confusing" or tongue-twister-like Sly

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 8:29am

Post #8 of 37 (664 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Strangely enough I actually rather liked this scene. I wasn't too fond of DOS and didn't like a lot of the changes. I also would have preferred that the Kili/Tauriel relationship was more admiration for one another rather than love/attraction.

But this scene I actually thought was really well done. It added a little bit of depth to both characters and actually seemed very Tolkienesque. As DanielLB put it, "it's the best conversation Tolkien never wrote."

On a more downer note, that's kind of why I'm a little disappointed with PJ's handling of a lot of the hobbit, especially the character development of the dwarves. This scene is evidence to me that PJ and co. are perfectly capable of fleshing out characters with a good story AND making it true to Tolkien at the same time. I just don't get that with most of the other dwarves.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Olorin the Wise

Jul 18 2014, 10:12am

Post #9 of 37 (620 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit I was impressed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was incredibly sceptical about the Kili/Tauriel romance, but actually this scene managed to persuade me that it was a reasonable addition, due in part to the quality of the performances and dialogue but chiefly because of Howard Shore's masterful soundtrack-another instance where the use of choral voices has been astonishingly powerful.

Unfortunately I did not feel the same way about the healing scene, which (in my opinion) made Tauriel seem too powerful, though the thing that annoyed me most was the sheer amount of lines taken as near as darnit directly from the trilogy (e.g. "I am going to save him" and "It was just a dream"). I appreciate references to LotR but not direct re-quoting: It makes me feel that I'm watching the same movie again in a different context!

greenbalrog
Bree

Jul 18 2014, 10:46am

Post #10 of 37 (603 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also on the boat of people who aren't fans of the Kili / Tauriel romance, but I have to admit that this scene is easily one of my favorite of DOS, as well.

Also, great performance by the actors, beautiful music and great writing. Congratulations to everyone involved, you really touched my heart.

And thanks to you for opening this thread, it helped me cheer up a bit.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 18 2014, 11:11am

Post #11 of 37 (565 views)
Shortcut
Nice one, Daniel! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Jul 18 2014, 12:03pm

Post #12 of 37 (544 views)
Shortcut
Perfect, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

This scene is one of my favourites and while I'm not a huge fan of the romantic aspects, that hasn't gone too far for me yet.

I like that these two people can find some common ground in the midst of this potentially violent adversarial situation, over Kili's mother of all things. Compare Tauriel and Kili to Thranduil and Thorin!

IMO the scene, with its talk of starlight and fire moons, also really speaks to the essence of each race: the poetic, ethereal Elves and the prosaic, yet beauty loving Dwarves.

And it is beautiful - the pretty people, the sincere sentiments, the great setting, accompanied by one of the more beautiful of Shore's choral pieces.

Name
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 12:22pm

Post #13 of 37 (600 views)
Shortcut
Nothing has been able to [In reply to] Can't Post

Convince me that this T/K romance is a good idea. While I still remain unconvinced, this scene was surprisingly well done. Although I have to agree with above posters in saying that I wish this was as far as the "romance" went.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 18 2014, 1:21pm

Post #14 of 37 (525 views)
Shortcut
It is [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as it went...
did I miss something?

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 1:35pm

Post #15 of 37 (521 views)
Shortcut
It is touching and beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two young ones of their races, earnest and impetuous, trusting and relating to an exotic stranger by revealing a secret part of themselves, and very believably played by both actors. I get little chills watching it and listening to the music.

Welcome to the boards, JamesPaganini.

Name
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 2:04pm

Post #16 of 37 (506 views)
Shortcut
No, it went further than that [In reply to] Can't Post

The end healing scene with the hand holding, cheesy lighting, and Kili's little love quote pushed it too far for me.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 6:51pm

Post #17 of 37 (404 views)
Shortcut
Perfect comment. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I love enjoy the Hobbit films, and think DOS will benefit from the 25+ minutes added in the EE, it is frustrating to see how capable PJ and co are at fleshing out the characters (in a way they commonly did in LOTR) but how rarely it's exercised in lieu of OTT action. This is a beautiful scene, the third act scene between them is beautiful but diminished a bit from the fact it retreads a lot of ground covered in FOTR. One think I would have loved in the AUJ is 2 or 3 scenes like this between the dwarves and Bilbo. I'm hoping we at least get one or two in the DOS EE.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 18 2014, 8:09pm

Post #18 of 37 (402 views)
Shortcut
From a writer's perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

this conversation was great and very well written. From a filmmaker's perspective, the scene was also done very well with appropriate lighting and contrast and the acting is to be commended. Legolas watching...bit stalker-ish. And as a woman (who does NOT consider herself a feminist in any way), I'm offended that the only use they have put Tauriel to thusfar is as a fabricated and forced romantic interest. This relationship is the one thing (out of all five films) that has made me lose respect (even if only slightly) for Peter Jackson. He let the opinions of Philippa and Fran wanting a female character get in the way of what could have been a better movie without her existence.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 18 2014, 9:47pm

Post #19 of 37 (358 views)
Shortcut
From another woman's perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And as a woman (who does NOT consider herself a feminist in any way), I'm offended that the only use they have put Tauriel to thusfar is as a fabricated and forced romantic interest.

I must respectfully disagree. It's hardly her "only use", nor do I feel it's her main one. I see her role of a supporter of "interventionism" ("It is our fight. [---] Are we not part of this world?"), especially juxtaposed with Thranduil's isolationist views, as a far more significant "function" of hers, one that touches upon more than just events or relationships between characters, that reaches to the film's thematic level.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jul 18 2014, 9:55pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2014, 9:54pm

Post #20 of 37 (341 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't a bad scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was fine, although I would have rather they used that time to show Bilbo sneaking around Thranduil's halls a bit. In any case, this scene didn't bother me.

The morgul shaft/romance stuff, however, I could have done without. I strongly disliked the love triangle addition.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 9:58pm

Post #21 of 37 (331 views)
Shortcut
Loved the charming scene [In reply to] Can't Post

between the young heroes caught in the violence....possibly making the future ending even more tragic...or sweet depending on how you look at it...

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 11:02pm

Post #22 of 37 (316 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not solely a romantic interest [In reply to] Can't Post

but she does almost seem to be there just for Kili --particularly to save him. I mean, what does she do in the film that isn't in some way related to him? If you take away her interaction with Kili or her instances of being concerned for/motivated by him, what's left? Her talk with Thranduil about the spiders (and Legolas's supposed feelings for her) and her "Merry" talk with Legolas after he chases after her (more "Legolas likes Tauriel" to some). What I want to know is why she stopped caring about the spiders that are threatening her land (and King)?? Crazy Wink

I'm not saying she does nothing else, just that it's quite minimal by comparison. When my husband saw the movie for the first time and I asked him what he thought of Tauriel, he said she seemed to just be an accessory to Kili. I hadn't thought of it before then, but watching the movie a couple times since it's rather glaring how little she does that's not related to the "hot dwarf" Tongue

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 11:12pm

Post #23 of 37 (312 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed EL's delivery [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, this was her best scene. I really love how excited she got talking about the celebration. As others have said, the writers did a great job with the dialogue and I think it was shot well, as well. I liked the scene, particularly the last half (Feast of Starlight part). Beautiful music, too Smile

Actually, giving it some thought, I think I may have liked it even more if it took place between her and Balin instead. He's completely Dwarvish, yet diplomatic and he would remember the time when Dwarves and Elves were friends. I think that would have put it in a more interesting and poignant light (heh, no pun intended Tongue)

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2014, 11:26pm

Post #24 of 37 (300 views)
Shortcut
Would Balin remember a time when Dwarves and Elves were friends? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the Khazad-dum/Eregion friendship was the last time Elves and Dwarves could be considered on friendly terms, and that happened way back in the 2nd Age. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I was never under the impression that the Dwarves of Erebor and the Elves of Mirkwood were actually friends.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 11:47pm

Post #25 of 37 (288 views)
Shortcut
Spot on [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of all five films, it is the best conversation Tolkien never wrote.

Agreed Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.