Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - July 18

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 18, 9:24am

Views: 184
Shortcut
TIME - July 18 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 18, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo's lost in the caves
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Now certainly Bilbo was in what is called a tight place. But... ...Hobbits are not quite like ordinary people; and after all if their holes are nice cheery places and properly aired, quite different from the tunnels of the goblins, still they are more used to tunnelling than we are, and they do not easily lose their sense of direction underground... ...The tunnel seemed to have no end. All he knew was that it was still going down pretty steadily and keeping in the same direction in spite of a twist and a turn or two. There were passages leading off to the side every now and then, as he knew by the glimmer of his sword, or could feel with his hand on the wall. Of these he took no notice, except to hurry past for fear of goblins or half-imagined dark things coming out of them. On and on he went, and down and down; and still he heard no sound of anything except the occasional whirr of a bat by his ears... ...he kept on like this, hating to go on, not daring to stop, on, on, until he was tireder than tired."

July 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf is still held prisoner in Isengard.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Gandalf bent his mind and reached out, hoping to find others who could aid in freeing him from his high prison, but it was in vain as Saruman's web prevented even his thoughts from escaping. Unbeknownst to both, there was one who saw him a vision or a dream, but he was new to such things and so did not understand its meaning.

2. Frodo continues to prepare to leave the Shire for Rivendell.
...Frodo began to sort through piles of paper and shelves of knick knacks. "What should I take and what should I leave behind?" Each consideration brought back memories and stories of his life with Bilbo. He had to make careful choices to support his ruse; but in his heart he felt a mounting sadness as he bid farewell to all he knew and loved represented by each trinket, every book, and the piles of precious papers written in Bilbo's hand.

July 18, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Éomer returns to Minas Tirith.
(from the appendices)
..."Éomer of Rohan came riding to the City, and with him came an éored of the fairest knights of the Mark. He was welcomed; and when they sat all at table in... ...the Great Hall of Feasts, he beheld the beauty of the ladies that he saw and was filled with great wonder. And before he went to his rest he sent for Gimli the Dwarf, and he said to him: 'Gimli Glóin's son, have you your axe ready?'
...'Nay, lord... ...but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.'
...'You shall judge,' said Éomer. 'For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady of the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'
...'Well, lord... ...and what say you now?'
...'Alas! ...I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'
...'Then I must go for my axe,' said Gimli.
...'But first I will plead this excuse... ...Had I seen her in other company, I would have said all that you could wish. But now I will put Queen Arwen Evenstar first, and I am ready to do battle on my own part with any who deny me. Shall I call for my sword?'
...Then Gimli bowed low. 'Nay, you are excused for my part, lord... ...You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning. And my heart forebodes that soon it will pass away forever.'"

July 18, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire and all the realm of King Elessar enjoy the peace and healing of the Great Year of Plenty.

July 18, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo prepares his mathoms.
...Frodo quietly makes plans to leave the Shire. He recalls these same preparations three years before. Then there was little hope as he weighed the choices and the fate of his possessions. Now, he was finding them new homes with those who would remain, and it gave him comfort. This time, he smiled as he considered each item and imagined that this is what Bilbo must have felt as he tagged an umbrella, a mirror and a case of silver spoons.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Subject User Time
TIME - July 18 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 18, 9:24am
    Morning and Evening dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 18, 11:19am
        Oh... well said! // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 18, 1:18pm
    Oh my! Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Jul 18, 6:44pm
        Oh... well... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 19, 11:48am
    TIME - July 19 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 19, 11:48am
        TIME - July 20 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 20, 11:35am
            TIME - July 21 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 21, 9:57pm
                TIME - July 22 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 22, 9:48am
                    *snicker* dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 22, 11:49am
                    TIME - July 23 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 23, 11:13am
                        TIME - July 24 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 24, 9:22am
                            TIME - July 25 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 25, 10:20am
                                TIME - July 26 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 26, 11:21am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.