The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Perfect music for Thorin's Funeral

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 8:07am

Post #1 of 20 (1559 views)
Shortcut
Perfect music for Thorin's Funeral Can't Post

Hi fellow Tolkien fans, I'm new here, after observing the boards for two years I finally joined Smile

Anyway I believe this will be the perfect music for when Bard places the arkenstone on Thorin's chest and they lift him up to place him under the mountain at his funeral.

from 06:12 - 07:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8FhRBwpEo

(This post was edited by JamesPaganini on Jul 17 2014, 8:14am)

boldog
Rohan

Jul 17 2014, 8:38am

Post #2 of 20 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Welcome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

About time you joined the boards! Laugh

In regards to your post,, i have to disagree strongly.
That music is purely the shire theme, and an epic rendition of it to focus on the 4 hobbits in that particular scene.
To have it during Thorins funeral is pretty pointless, because he is not a hobbit, he is a dwarf, and the whole focus of this funeral will be on the dwarves, not Bilbo.
Plus it sounds much too uplifting for that scene, which im expecting to be very emotional.

My guess, and hope is that they include some deep male humming vocals during this scene. It will really add to the emotion, and show it on a more dwarven perspective.

But either way, welcome, Welcome, and Thrice Welcome!

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 8:47am

Post #3 of 20 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, now that you say that... [In reply to] Can't Post

And thankyou for the welcome Wink

...I do agree that it would feel out of place with the shire theme. But for some strange reason, I started listening to that track again and again and Thorin's funeral just always popped up in my mind. I also imagined the film cutting to a saddened Bilbo as we see Thorin being placed under the mountain.

Not all those who wander are Lost

davidjUK
Bree

Jul 17 2014, 9:22am

Post #4 of 20 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Funeral [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to disagree with you here. I think the perfect theme for Thorin's funeral would be some sort of rendition of the Misty Mountains song.

emre43
Rohan

Jul 17 2014, 9:29am

Post #5 of 20 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to disagree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

But I agree with the others, definitely the wrong tune to use.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 17 2014, 9:35am

Post #6 of 20 (1144 views)
Shortcut
I agree with the others [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll need something distinctly Dwarven, with sombre humming and Khuzdul chorus. I suspect Shore will interweave the themes for Thorin, Erebor, and the House of Durin, perhaps also the Misty Mountains. I expect it will be reminiscent of the great Dwarrowdelf theme in its majesty, and break all our hearts.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 17 2014, 9:36am)

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 9:38am

Post #7 of 20 (1140 views)
Shortcut
What about this theme? [In reply to] Can't Post

If not any dwarven theme, what about the theme that plays when Thorin hugs Bilbo, which also plays in Return of the King during Aragorn's coronation. I can see Shore reprising that theme again. But I can see it now, I do believe a dwarven theme will be played during his funeral.

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 9:40am

Post #8 of 20 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it'll be related closely with the rendition of 'the House of Durin' which plays in DoS, in the Western Guardroom (Just noticed a FotR reference to Moria there!)

utku
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 3:42pm

Post #9 of 20 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Sad would be an option, while epic could work as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Something like this perhaps:
http://youtu.be/z-tTBrmCEi0?t=28s

The theme is also related to the dwarves (Dwarrowdelf) so there's that. However I think a new rendition of Misty Mountains is most likely.

(This post was edited by utku on Jul 17 2014, 3:43pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 4:04pm

Post #10 of 20 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Use the melody for Thorin's 'Misty Mountains' song [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dwarves could sing the actual song that Tolkien used just after Thorin parleyed with Bard outside the Front Gate. The song could make an excellent dirge for Thorin's funeral.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Name
Rohan

Jul 17 2014, 5:31pm

Post #11 of 20 (1001 views)
Shortcut
I have always loved [In reply to] Can't Post

"Under the Mountain Dark and Tall," as heard in the 1977 animated movie.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 20 (987 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Under the Mountain Dark and Tall," as heard in the 1977 animated movie.

That is another arrangement of the same song:

Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King as come into his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall.

etc.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 10:15pm

Post #13 of 20 (956 views)
Shortcut
Hello and welcome.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an interesting discussion you've started, but reading it I wonder....

Don't you think that for what is, after all, one of the biggest and most emotional scenes in the story - if not the biggest and most emotional - Howard Shore is going to want to compose something new and special - something that can only be Thorin's funeral music and will always be recognised as such, even if it has some of the earlier themes threaded into it?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2014, 1:51am

Post #14 of 20 (942 views)
Shortcut
I would really like something more Dwarvish [In reply to] Can't Post

Something like the Dwarrowdelf music, grand and filled with sadness without being overly pompous.

I also like the idea of having the Dwarves in the scene sing a dirge. I think DOS could have done with some diegetic music. For me, much of what gave LOTR its historical feel was the use of diegetic music - the singing by the characters added yet another layer of depth to the world of Middle-earth. The AUJ EE (for me) felt much more Middle-earthy with the the addition of the songs. I wish DOS had some of it; and I hope BOFA has some of it.

Welcome to TORn, by the way. This is a great topic Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 2:40am

Post #15 of 20 (930 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the Laketown band ;)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 7:03am

Post #16 of 20 (916 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's song [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought Bilbo's song could be fitting for Thorin's actual death at the end of the battle and then lead into Thorin's funeral with it. Sure it's not a dwarven song, though it could work coming form the perspective of Bilbo witnessing the death and funeral.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 18 2014, 7:04am

Post #17 of 20 (918 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes absolutely! Bilbo's Song at the end of the credits for Return of the King would be perfect.

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2014, 11:01pm

Post #18 of 20 (879 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I rather liked that [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly added another cultural aspect to Laketown.

I wish they had shown us the Feast Of Starlight, even if as a glimpse, when Tauriel spoke about it. One of my favourite "elvish" scenes is in FOTR EE when Sam and Frodo see the Elves journeying to the Tower Hills. That scene, combined with the singing in it, really took the film to a whole other level, if even for a few moments. There was deep history and myth in there, mixed with the present. It gave a "Silmarillion" type feel to the film. I loved it, and still do.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 19 2014, 8:08am

Post #19 of 20 (866 views)
Shortcut
Yes I'm quietly hoping that the Feast of Starlight..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... might appear in the EE, if only briefly. It would add so much.

When it comes to Thorin's funeral music, I'd like to think that they will find something really special, as they did with for funeral of Theodred. To see that happen, and to hear Eowyn sing, for me was exceptional, because it added such a cultural richness to the Rohirrim. It gave that same sense that you get from the books, that the immediate story rests on generations of untold stories. So if they can pull off a similar effect for the dwarves, i'll be happy.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2014, 2:39pm

Post #20 of 20 (852 views)
Shortcut
You said it perfectly [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn singing that dirge for Theodred was very visceral. And there was also something about seeing those women beside her mouthing the words that added a richness and depth to the Rohirric culture.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.