Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any word on whether Hercules will be decent?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 16 2014, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 19 (245 views)
Shortcut
Any word on whether Hercules will be decent? Can't Post

The trailer looks interesting - since it is set after his 12 labors we are getting a made up Hercules...but, it is all in the story, writing and acting with obligatory special effects / CGI for such a world. It has a good cast of actors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267297/

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 16 2014, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 19 (182 views)
Shortcut
I can't get over [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that the Rock is Hercules. Nope, just can't. Otherwise it looks interesting.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2014, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 19 (186 views)
Shortcut
It comes off like a really bad joke. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes when I saw the trailer in theaters. When the Rock yells out "I.....AMMMMM.....HERRRRCUUUULEEESSS!!!!!!", both me and the person I was with started laughing uncontrollably. Laugh

I mean, who honestly thought this was a good idea? It's a shame, because there's a nice supporting cast by the looks of it. But the movie just looks so bad. Crazy

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 16 2014, 6:12pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 16 2014, 6:51pm

Post #4 of 19 (164 views)
Shortcut
Considering the epic type of film, I was ok with the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...9piQ4&feature=kp

Obviously, it will be an over the top film, but it could be worth a matinee price to see.

The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, has a likability factor that probably compensates for any acting deficiency. With the right script and support, I may be surprised....maybe.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 16 2014, 7:00pm

Post #5 of 19 (157 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't contemplate who decided it was a good idea. It's the only thing distracting me from an otherwise interesting-looking preview.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 16 2014, 7:17pm

Post #6 of 19 (164 views)
Shortcut
io9 says: [In reply to] Can't Post

Hercules Trailer Shows John Hurt Knows Just What Kind of Film He's In

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Jul 16 2014, 8:29pm

Post #7 of 19 (146 views)
Shortcut
I love The Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

ever since I saw him on "Ellen" once and he not only had a comeback for every joke she made, but played the guitar quite well and talked about how much he loves his college-sweetheart wife. "The Scorpion King" is a guilty favorite. Hoping this one will be too.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 16 2014, 9:54pm

Post #8 of 19 (141 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I won't see it then [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds hilarious!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2014, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 19 (137 views)
Shortcut
Here - Enjoy it for yourself... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUM3V8Yh1EU

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 17 2014, 2:04am

Post #10 of 19 (129 views)
Shortcut
Funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember any of those scenes in Bullfinch's Mythology.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 2:32pm

Post #11 of 19 (117 views)
Shortcut
The movie is set in a time well past they mythological deeds. [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar to what could happen with a fictional JRRT universe where different time periods not detailed in the books are imagined....for better or worse. The game stories are a good example.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 17 2014, 2:34pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 10:36pm

Post #12 of 19 (104 views)
Shortcut
while I like the Rock (in some of his other films)... [In reply to] Can't Post

the trailer for Hercules:

"hhhuuuaaaarrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!"

the poster for Hercules:

"HHHHHUAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

the film:

probably epic "HUAAAARRRGHHHHHHH!"

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 12:40am

Post #13 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
You forgot [In reply to] Can't Post

HHHUUUUURRLLLLLLLL!!!!

Hey mods, I just noticed we don't have a smiley that vomits. Would that be too jejune for this forum?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Jul 18 2014, 12:41am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 18 2014, 1:05am

Post #14 of 19 (95 views)
Shortcut
well this year there have been [In reply to] Can't Post

two hercules movies released this year. ''The Legend of Hercules'' and ''Hercules. The latter got really bad reviews. I am skeptical of this one, I really love legend movies but will probably wait until it comes out on netflix.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 8:42pm

Post #15 of 19 (83 views)
Shortcut
<snickersnert> [In reply to] Can't Post

In this neck of the woods, and to my generation, 'being decent' means being properly dressed and not showing anything you shouldn't. The thought of that applying to Hercules did make me laugh!
'If you think you're going out to the pub in that skimpy top you've another think coming, young feller-me-lad...' Tongue

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 18 2014, 9:08pm

Post #16 of 19 (80 views)
Shortcut
I should have said will Hercules be indecent...yes, he and cast will be. [In reply to] Can't Post

Urban dictionary

decent
In the late 70's and early 80's, decent was the equivalent to the standard current usage of "awesome" or "cool".
Aww...that mustang is decent!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 18 2014, 9:09pm

Post #17 of 19 (79 views)
Shortcut
and... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read something about the 12 labors of Hercules and I thought of a different kind of labor which Hercules will never face.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2014, 9:18pm

Post #18 of 19 (77 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a very funny interview with him last night, in which he totally 'got' the comedian who was interviewing him and went along for the ride. I would love to post the interview here but there is *gasp* a bare bottom shown!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 7:52am

Post #19 of 19 (80 views)
Shortcut
Hah - these superheroes, they think they're so tough... we laugh with scorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.