Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So just for fun how many of these have you read?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 4:00am

Post #1 of 78 (836 views)
Shortcut
So just for fun how many of these have you read? Can't Post

I am just curious. I found it and checked all the ones I read. Apparently it was predicted by the BBC that most people have only read six or less. I've read sixteen. So I guess that's not too bad?

http://www.listchallenges.com/...bc-6-books-challenge

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 15 2014, 7:16pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2014, 4:10am

Post #2 of 78 (548 views)
Shortcut
I got fifteen [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess that's pretty good Smile

I would certainly read more of them if I had the time! But with two small kids, a mini farm, sewing, canning, a wedding quilt to get done by mid-December, and homeschooling starting in September I don't have the time to read a ton! Unsure

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 4:23am

Post #3 of 78 (550 views)
Shortcut
32 [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've lived a long life.

Many of those were required reading in school. And I spent quite a few years reading (for leisure) stuff like Dumas and Dickens. For my best friends high school graduation present, I bought her old copies of Wuthering Heights and Gone With the Wind (and yes... I had read those books) Then I had kids and read stuff to them.

Quite a few of those I'd be hard pressed to remember much about (you remember something you read 45 years ago) and I actually think I read a few of those I didn't check because I wasn't very sure I'd read them.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 15 2014, 4:26am)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 15 2014, 4:40am

Post #4 of 78 (539 views)
Shortcut
42 [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how they predicted 6 or less? Pretty sure I had to read a lot of these in school, even that would have taken me over 6. And like Magpie, I went on a classics kick a few years ago and read a bunch. Plus I've read a lot for my book club in the last several years. And several either before or after a movie was made. How quickly they add up. Smile

"Jagatud rm on topelt rm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 4:46am

Post #5 of 78 (544 views)
Shortcut
32 as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Which amazed me, considering I hardly ever read as much as I would like to.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2014, 6:20am

Post #6 of 78 (541 views)
Shortcut
45 [In reply to] Can't Post

And there were several others that I feel quite familiar with, despite never having read/finished them. One or two more are so familiar that I can't remember if I've actually read them or just seen a multitude of adaptations of them.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 6:48am

Post #7 of 78 (548 views)
Shortcut
Not enough, it seems. [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious, why is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe listed separately to The Chronicles of Narnia? Am I missing something?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 6:50am

Post #8 of 78 (548 views)
Shortcut
45. But it's not fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to list both "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" and Hamlet. It's also a curious mix of childrens' books and adult literature.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 6:50am

Post #9 of 78 (533 views)
Shortcut
Same problem as "Complete Works of Shakespears" and "Hamlet"// [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2014, 7:29am

Post #10 of 78 (535 views)
Shortcut
37 [In reply to] Can't Post

There were some on the list that I started but, for one reason or another, didn't finish. (No, I didn't count those) There are others that I'd like to read but haven't yet.

I really enjoyed most of the ones I finished though there are a few that just didn't do it for me.

Going through this list reminds me just how little I read now compared to when I was younger. Unsure

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 15 2014, 7:34am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 8:11am

Post #11 of 78 (535 views)
Shortcut
Wow, is that ever true. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Going through this list reminds me just how little I read now compared to when I was younger. Unsure

I read War and Peace pretty much non-stop (took 3 days, between semesters) when I was in high school. Just lay about and read, pausing now and then for meals. I could never do that now.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 11:47am

Post #12 of 78 (502 views)
Shortcut
I scored twenty-seven. // [In reply to] Can't Post

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

squire
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 11:58am

Post #13 of 78 (509 views)
Shortcut
38... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the list is, like most of these things, apparently put together over a late-night bull session by a couple of internet journalists who had the same 'good old days' Anglophilic liberal-arts education. The sloppiness of the Narnia and Shakespeare overlaps and the inability to distinguish a single novel from a collection of 38 plays - not to mention the conflation of tradtional nursery literature with nobel prizewinners - suggests that the final list was completed just in time for deadline and was never edited by any of the list's contributors.

It is funny that, as others have mentioned, there were quite a few that I realize I never have read, yet feel I know all about them; and of the ones I've read, I remember almost nothing about them now, so many years after middle and high school.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 12:30pm

Post #14 of 78 (501 views)
Shortcut
It was a reminder for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

that I used to read a whole lot more than I do now.

I think once I had kids, I didn't have the luxury of that obsessive reading I had been doing. And then I got the job reading books to kids and I was reading children's books all the time which kind of fed my thirst for reading. (and I enjoyed reading them just about as much as I was much current fiction - no, for the most part, I enjoyed them more than the adult fiction I was happened to be reading)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2014, 12:48pm

Post #15 of 78 (497 views)
Shortcut
Same here Mag [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of these were required reading in school when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's. So six or less for me would have meant I completely failed. LOL.

I had 31

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Misto
Lorien

Jul 15 2014, 12:59pm

Post #16 of 78 (502 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot of Dickens and Austen on that list [In reply to] Can't Post

While I love Dickens, I haven't read all his works. As for Austen... I never tried her (yet) but somehow she doesn't appeal to me. Some day, maybe.

I come up with 18, not counting the Bible and the complete Shakespeare. I own both and I've read some part of them, but I haven't read them cover to cover (and I very seriously doubt most people have!). There are quite a number of my personal "must reads" on that list, so I'm sure the number will go up over the years.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2014, 1:01pm

Post #17 of 78 (493 views)
Shortcut
I got 39, which isn't too bad I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

But there were a couple of "iffy" ones that I really wasn't sure about and left off - did I read the Count of Monte Cristo when I was a teenager, or have I just seen so many movie versions that I feel like I've read it? Honestly can't remember! And I checked "yes" for the Bible, but I haven't actually read the whole thing - just feels that way after all that church upbringing. Fun quiz, though. Smile

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 1:14pm

Post #18 of 78 (491 views)
Shortcut
Less than I'd like [In reply to] Can't Post

These lists tend to be very Anglo-American-centric. Here's another, a slightly more balanced one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...one-should-read.html.

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. - Henry David Thoreau

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2014, 1:42pm

Post #19 of 78 (492 views)
Shortcut
61. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I read a lot! Smile

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2014, 1:48pm

Post #20 of 78 (482 views)
Shortcut
You rock! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you have time for all that AND other school stuff :)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 2:06pm

Post #21 of 78 (494 views)
Shortcut
57.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, I am an old fart with an English degree.

Many of these books were force-fed required reading that I would neither read on my own accord, nor suggest as suitable for your reading pleasure. Still other titles are simply head-scratchers that don't belong on any list of quality reading material; for instance, I would replace "The Da Vinci Code" with Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", which makes Dan Brown's use of the same subject matter look like elementary school work.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 2:21pm

Post #22 of 78 (487 views)
Shortcut
two somewhat related articles/conversations I've read lately [In reply to] Can't Post

io9.com often throws a topic out for people to discuss and two that I thought were interesting (and somewhat related to this topic) were:

Which classic novel did you quit reading halfway through?

10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read (And Why You Should Actually Read Them)

I was a little surprised at how many of them I had read... all the way through. But then, like many on this other list, I don't remember that much about some of them except maybe wondering what they heck 'that one' was about! (That would be Dhalgren.)

And, like someone in one of those comments at io9 said, I tend to read books all the way through. Partly out of a need to complete and partly out of faith that there must be something I will connect to by the end.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 2:32pm

Post #23 of 78 (483 views)
Shortcut
Brown vs Eco [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would replace "The Da Vinci Code" with Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", which makes Dan Brown's use of the same subject matter look like elementary school work.

Hear, hear! And even Foucault was using well-trodden material. It really set my teeth on edge to hear Brown praised for an innovative story. Or am I just an old fart with a history degree? Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 2:54pm

Post #24 of 78 (478 views)
Shortcut
The difference between Eco and Brown.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides Eco being far more literate, is that Eco's protagonists synthesize a grand conspiracy using bits and pieces of every crack-pot conspiracy in history, a tongue-in-cheek guide to arcane historical research; whereas Brown submits a potboiler wherein the conspiracy is historical truth. With Eco, one knows everything is borrowed from elsewhere, but Brown does not acknowledge the near-verbatim rewrite of the source material.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 3:06pm

Post #25 of 78 (463 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.