Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you think the 3rd movie will be more like AUJ or DoS?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lio
Lorien

Jul 14 2014, 9:50pm

Post #1 of 28 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Do you think the 3rd movie will be more like AUJ or DoS? Can't Post

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I don't remember seeing it but I've been away for a bit. Blush

Anyway, as we all wait for the last movie I've been wondering whether it will be more like AUJ or DoS (in terms of pacing, character development, length of action sequences, and the overall experience of watching it). DoS did get better reviews and I think PJ said it's his favourite of the movies, so maybe that's what the 3rd movie will feel like too. But personally I enjoyed AUJ more, it seemed like there was more focus on the characters and I liked the slower pace. With DoS it was kind of hi-then-bye (especially Beorn!) and sometimes it felt like I was watching King Kong. Laugh Still a great movie, though I hope the next will be more like AUJ. How about about everyone else?

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 9:59pm

Post #2 of 28 (675 views)
Shortcut
I can just say [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it will be more like AUJ than DoS. If not, I will wave bye-bye to it very quickly.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2014, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 28 (670 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at the edit of DoS, it leaves one to presume that PJ took the critiques about AUJ's slow pace to heart. But IMO, AUJ bigger problem was not that it was too slow, but rather that PJ left the wrong things in. I vastly prefer the EE - and Bilbo's restored material has a lot to do with that. Cutting that stuff out removed a lot of heart (for me, at least) from the story.

Speaking just in terms of theatrical cuts, I did find DoS more satisfying - as it was the more exciting of the two. But TBotFA is the conclusion of the trilogy, and because of that I assume PJ will make it the most emotional of the 3 (or at least I would think so). So to a certain degree, I think it will be a mixture of DoS-style fast pacing and character-infused moments.

As to which it will feel like, I'm guessing neither. It will have it's own feel.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 14 2014, 10:04pm)

anthonyroy
Bree

Jul 14 2014, 10:05pm

Post #4 of 28 (607 views)
Shortcut
Think it will be more like DoS, but with a lot more character driven moments. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is obviously going to be a lot more emotion in the next film, more powerful scenes. I think it will have a lot of the "theme park" style action sequences that DoS had, even more than DoS. Which is a good and a bad thing in my eyes because I found 3 quarters of the action worked in DoS, whilst the other quarter just seemed silly and unnecessary. Still, they did the action better in DoS than in AuJ.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 10:06pm

Post #5 of 28 (597 views)
Shortcut
A mix [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its going to be a mix. If anything I think it could be more ROTK like to be honest.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 10:07pm

Post #6 of 28 (664 views)
Shortcut
Based on what I was told [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be curious to see your reaction and others to the EE of DOS. I don't know specifics but what I'm told it adds even more Tolkien to DOS.

anthonyroy
Bree

Jul 14 2014, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 28 (589 views)
Shortcut
I agree, each of the LOTR film's had their own identity, so will this film (maybe) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think its going to be a mix. If anything I think it could be more ROTK like to be honest.

I agree with you, each of the LOTR film's had their own identity and if TBotFA follows the pattern of the first two Hobbit film's, this one will too.

(This post was edited by anthonyroy on Jul 14 2014, 10:08pm)

elostirion74
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 10:10pm

Post #8 of 28 (576 views)
Shortcut
more like DoS, but most of all it will have its own tone [In reply to] Can't Post

The third film will have its own particular mix, which is probably not so easy to compare to either DoS or AUJ. I think the third film will be slightly more like DoS in the sense that it will be epic, expansive and include plenty of action. But since all the introductions and character set-ups are finished, there is now time to focus more strongly on each of the primary characters, deepen the emotions and don't set such a hectic pace. The ending parts where Bilbo returns to the Shire I expect to be reminiscent of AUJ.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 10:11pm

Post #9 of 28 (565 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If anything I think it could be more ROTK like to be honest.

Yes. It won't have the leisurely pace of AUJ due to the amount of plot to fit in and won't have the breakneck forward thrust of DoS due to happening, mostly, in the one location.

The RotK parallel is spot on.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2014, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 28 (609 views)
Shortcut
I'm quite eager... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for it to come out. I never completely warmed to AUJ until the EE, and I can honestly say that I prefer it over the theatrical cut of DoS as well. But I'm waiting to see how DoS changes in my eyes once we have a good 25 minutes restored to the film.

What I've come to really respond to in AUJ are the character beats (many of which were either added in the EE, or became more poignant as a result of restored material). Of the two theatrical cuts, DoS works better in my mind - but it is missing the quieter moments that I think would make it better (though it does have a couple of those - which are probably my favorite moments of the film). I also find it a bit too brisk for its own good. I believe the added scenes will balance the film out and give it a fluidity and warmth that the AUJ EE evokes.

I dare say I'm looking forward to the EE more than the release of TBotFA. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 10:21pm

Post #11 of 28 (570 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it'll be more like itself. And, as others have said, if it compares to any one of the other films, it'll be Return of the King.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 28 (566 views)
Shortcut
I can see it [In reply to] Can't Post

Being very different to AUJ and DOS, just like both felt different in tone to each other (in a good way I felt). There will be powerful battle and emotional scenes, that this series should really benefit from.

Name
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 11:02pm

Post #13 of 28 (557 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....compare it to the Two Towers (gasp!). It will have a mixture of intense action and softer, more emotional scenes. The pacing will be similar to TTT as well, with things moving faster at parts, and slower at other points. New characters + plots being introduced will help slow it down some.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 11:51pm

Post #14 of 28 (563 views)
Shortcut
EE vs TE [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the EE of AUJ is better. Not that I didn't love the TE but the added moments were just the cherry on top that it needed. I also agree with you that the EE of AUJ is something I enjoy a little more than the TE of DOS. I expect from what we know and how my friend described it the EE of DOS is going to add some great stuff in that 25 mins.

I'm split on that.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 15 2014, 4:03am

Post #15 of 28 (468 views)
Shortcut
1. ALL of the Above... [In reply to] Can't Post

2. None of the Above

3...None of your Business

you deside?

(as Bomby EXITs............ Stage Left?)

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jul 15 2014, 5:29am

Post #16 of 28 (462 views)
Shortcut
Is he a great Wizard or is he more like you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry! Couldn't help but remember that question from Bilbo!

I guess it will have a bit of both of them and of ROTK too.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 15 2014, 1:14pm

Post #17 of 28 (356 views)
Shortcut
Neither [In reply to] Can't Post

I am expecting the third and final instalment to have its own strikingly distinct tone, atmosphere, and sequential execution.

TBotFA should barely resemble its predecessors.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 15 2014, 1:19pm)

Name
Rohan

Jul 15 2014, 1:52pm

Post #18 of 28 (338 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

For once I actually have no idea what you meant in that post CrazyBlush.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 2:41pm

Post #19 of 28 (335 views)
Shortcut
I think TBOTFA will be more like DoS than AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

But will have a flavor all its own. It seems to me that TBOTFA follows DoS, not AUJ, along a continuum from the lighter atmosphere of AUS to the tragic ending of DoS.

There are also a number of story strands begun or continued in DoS such as Dol Guldur, Laketown and the Wood Elves (not to mention the romantic triangle Wink), which need to play out alongside Bilbo’s story.

The idea that TBOTFA may have similarities to RotK is an interesting one.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 10:16pm

Post #20 of 28 (251 views)
Shortcut
I think DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so at least.Smile the first one dragged in parts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 10:43pm

Post #21 of 28 (254 views)
Shortcut
TH:BotFA will be its own thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Closer in tone, though, to DoS than AUJ.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 15 2014, 10:50pm

Post #22 of 28 (257 views)
Shortcut
I hope, but don't expect, it to be more like FotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

If only... Frown

Name
Rohan

Jul 16 2014, 2:06am

Post #23 of 28 (233 views)
Shortcut
Eh....... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you're getting at, but I think FotR has too much of an innocent feel to it, which isn't what I want to see for the final Hobbit movie.

As far as the plot flow goes I agree that having the balance of FotR would be awesome.

(This post was edited by Name on Jul 16 2014, 2:07am)

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Jul 16 2014, 9:59am

Post #24 of 28 (207 views)
Shortcut
More like DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I want it to be more like AUJ but I fear it will be more like DoS with lots of action and not enough character moments.

distractedhobbits.wordpress.com

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 16 2014, 10:11am

Post #25 of 28 (200 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I think a transition in tone would be good [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really excited when del Toro was saying that his version would have a very different tone to LotR but would evolve and transition perfectly into Fellowship.

I hope that idea hasn't changed. I think perfection (albeit very difficult to pull off at this point) would be to start with an action-packed tone like DoS and slowly transition to a more sombre and subtle atmosphere after the obvious events and end on Bilbo's return being very much in the tone of FotR, focusing on the subtlety of character and dialogue.

I don't think it will happen. But if if they some how manage it, I'd be very happy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.